Rabbit doesn’t like hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenavlp

Reaction score
Hello there. Last month my male rabbit refuses to eat his hay. He eats everything else, his appetite is as always but doesn’t want hay. I tried a lot of different types thinking that he may be bored of the old one but still no chance. I got him vet checked and he is healthy. What can I do? How can I reinforce him to munch on his hay? Thanks in advance

Please describe what else he eats each day.... pellet type/brand and amount, greens -- type and amount. And also his age.

Well, he eats 2 tablespoons of the oxbow adult pellets and one handful of greens per day.

What sort of hay have you tried? Also is the quality good (is it brown and dried up or is it green and fresh?) You could try a new supplier, Small Pet Select has taster packs, and so does Hay Box. Even though they do not ship to Greece, you can look into other companies similar to them.

https://haybox.club/products/sample-pack
https://smallpetselect.co.uk/collections/hay-for-rabbits/products/sampler-box

I’m using oxbow Timothy hay and also I’ve tried bunny nature (a good quality company recommended by bunny specialized vets here in Greece) meadow with chamomile to be more enticing but still nothing.

How are you presenting the hay? Is it in his litterbox, or hanging right above it? Is it maybe in a hay ball or inside toys, like a "dynamite stick" for example? Do you refresh it daily?
Also, did the vet chdck for molar issues?

How are you presenting the hay? Is it in his litterbox, or hanging right above it? Is it maybe in a hay ball or inside toys, like a "dynamite stick" for example? Do you refresh it daily?
Also, did the vet chdck for molar issues?

Yes I change the hay every day and I’ve been putting him both in the litter box and hanging it above. He was never a fun of hay he was eating very little portions, gradually stopping.
The Bunny vet did a check up and everything was fine.
He has his appetite as he goes mad for pellets but he gives hay the could shoulder

Before trying anything else, go to a good rabbit vet. If a bunny suddenly stops eating hay it is almost always due to dental problems. Most vets don't know what rabbit teeth should look like, you need a good rabbit vet.

My doe doesn't care for hay much, either. I got her at 3.5 years old, so perhaps it was something she didn't get much of when she was younger. I tried several different types of hay, and she was pretty indifferent to all of it.

I bought a small box of alfalfa to mix up with her hay to get her more interested; she loves junk hay like alfalfa and oat (where she only picks the oat grains off). Alfalfa is generally not recommended for adult rabbits, but my doe has a history of molar spurs, so I made the choice to let her get a bit fat over the alternative of regular veterinary dental work.

def get a 2nd opinion on the teeth
i have a youtube channel (NatsSmallPets) where i talk about hay you could check out i hope it helps!
maybe try oat hay, orchard grass, and brome hay
please don't go pellet free unless you work closely with your vet to develop a proper balanced diet

Well, we’re a lot better with our hay problem. I lowered the portion of pellets and veggies in half, giving only 1 tbsp of pellets and only some veggies. Another thing I did is I bought a small bag of Alfalfa hay and sprinkled some over his hay. He is eating a lot more hay now.

My doe doesn't care for hay much, either. I got her at 3.5 years old, so perhaps it was something she didn't get much of when she was younger. I tried several different types of hay, and she was pretty indifferent to all of it.

I bought a small box of alfalfa to mix up with her hay to get her more interested; she loves junk hay like alfalfa and oat (where she only picks the oat grains off). Alfalfa is generally not recommended for adult rabbits, but my doe has a history of molar spurs, so I made the choice to let her get a bit fat over the alternative of regular veterinary dental work.

Thanks for your answer. I adopted him at 3 years and he was not used to eating hay or pellets(they were giving him muesli). I’ve had a hard time making him eat the pellets and some amounts of hay but he was never a fan of it.

def get a 2nd opinion on the teeth
i have a youtube channel (NatsSmallPets) where i talk about hay you could check out i hope it helps!
maybe try oat hay, orchard grass, and brome hay
please don't go pellet free unless you work closely with your vet to develop a proper balanced diet
Thank you! I’ll check your YouTube channel for more ideas!

I've had similar problems in the past with picky eaters! Try out some of the methods below to help encourage the amount of hay consumed:

• Instead of presenting pellets in a regular food bowl, try mixing pellets in with hay. This not only encourages foraging, but it will slow down fast eaters and make meal time a fun game. You can try to mix in any daily greens / treats with the hay as well.

Try changing the cut of hay - 2nd cut is normally preferred, whereas 1st cut (of the season) is stiffer, and 3rd cut is leafy like alfalfa. You can also change the type of hay from Timothy to Orchard, or vice versa. Similar to humans, every rabbit has different taste preferences.

• Last but not least... my favorite! Try mixing in this herbal blend with the hay!

Found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND14X5V/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_7h2pFb9XEEF42.

Although the rabbit will view this as a treat, it is actually healthy and definitely helps them consume more hay.

If you have the time, you can make herbal mixes yourself. Instead of paying 4€ for 125g packet of dried herb mixes, i cut my own from dandelion, dill, leafy lettuce, parsley, apple leaves, fresh hay bits/hay leaves, blackcurrant leaves and a plant we call "harilik naat". Cut them up, let dry and stuffed in a bag, got a 280g mix for pretty much free. My buns go nuts fir the mix.

If you have the time, you can make herbal mixes yourself. Instead of paying 4€ for 125g packet of dried herb mixes, i cut my own from dandelion, dill, leafy lettuce, parsley, apple leaves, fresh hay bits/hay leaves, blackcurrant leaves and a plant we call "harilik naat". Cut them up, let dry and stuffed in a bag, got a 280g mix for pretty much free. My buns go nuts fir the mix.
That's such a great idea! How exactly do you dry them, and how long does this blend last? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back