Rabbit doesn’t like hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is quite simple, no fancy stuff needed. You just need a place where the sun will reach and the bunny won't.
We have a room that is off limits for my boys, it has a table right by the window. I lined the table with plain newspaper and thinly spread the chopped herbs there, then just went to mix them up every couple of days. That room was quite humid so mine dried for a week but yours might take less time! You can actually line the table with anything that is a little absorbent, or you might line it with nothing at all-depends on your conditions. You can also get any other bunny safe herbs to dry, what i put in was what i had at hand.

As for how long the blend lasts, i have no idea whatsoever. I just finished collecting my blend and now i'm heading back from our 24-hour trip. Just sprinkle a small handful with fresh hay and see for yourself.

I've had similar problems in the past with picky eaters! Try out some of the methods below to help encourage the amount of hay consumed:

• Instead of presenting pellets in a regular food bowl, try mixing pellets in with hay. This not only encourages foraging, but it will slow down fast eaters and make meal time a fun game. You can try to mix in any daily greens / treats with the hay as well.

Try changing the cut of hay - 2nd cut is normally preferred, whereas 1st cut (of the season) is stiffer, and 3rd cut is leafy like alfalfa. You can also change the type of hay from Timothy to Orchard, or vice versa. Similar to humans, every rabbit has different taste preferences.

• Last but not least... my favorite! Try mixing in this herbal blend with the hay!

Found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND14X5V/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_7h2pFb9XEEF42.

Although the rabbit will view this as a treat, it is actually healthy and definitely helps them consume more hay.

Thank you for your advice. I’m currently mixing pellets with hay and he likes that.

If you have the time, you can make herbal mixes yourself. Instead of paying 4€ for 125g packet of dried herb mixes, i cut my own from dandelion, dill, leafy lettuce, parsley, apple leaves, fresh hay bits/hay leaves, blackcurrant leaves and a plant we call "harilik naat". Cut them up, let dry and stuffed in a bag, got a 280g mix for pretty much free. My buns go nuts fir the mix.
Great idea! A while ago I planted some herbs in my yard (dandelion, dill, basil, oregano). I’m letting them grow a little bit and I’m going to dry some. Hope he likes the treat

Great idea! A while ago I planted some herbs in my yard (dandelion, dill, basil, oregano). I’m letting them grow a little bit and I’m going to dry some. Hope he likes the treat
Storm went absolutely nuts for my blend-i took out the bag and he was already leaning up against me, digging and pulling at my shirt, begging me for the mixture. He didn't leave even a dustlet behind!

Latest posts

Back