Rabbit Does Not Let Me Pet Him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spices

Reaction score
Hi,

I am fostering a pair of young rabbits as they went through the surgeries to get fixed. I had some very long petting sessions with the female especially now that she is recovering from her spay surgery and she even has taken the posture that shows she wants more pets. The male on the other seems annoyed whenever I try to pet him, even when he is resting or given a treat. I am not sure if it is just his personality or if I can do something to change that. He is curious, confident, and does tricks and even climbs on me or nose bumps me for treats so he is not shy. He also seems to not groom or let his sister groom him much even though he does like her as he follows her and sleeps close to her often. Is there anything I can do to make him a more loving and adoptable bunny?

Rabbits have different personalities, he seem to be a social rabbit but dosen’t like being petted.

Have one who never can be still and dosen’t want to be petted until he’s tired. But when he want to be petted he will be a really cuddly bun. But those episodes rarely happens, can just enjoy see him binky everyday and no petting, maybe a few seconds petting then he’s off again [emoji23]

So it’s something to respect.

Where are you trying to pet him(forehead, nose, ears, cheeks, back, sides, rump)?

Where are you trying to pet him(forehead, nose, ears, cheeks, back, sides, rump)?
I have tried different parts: the forehead, his ears, his back, his sides, and he did not seem to have a favourite. All seemed to annoy him. The only time I managed to “pet” him was when he was resting in his litter box and let me brush him with a soft bristles baby brush all over his body. But with my hand he seems to not like any contact at all. I was not sure if it is just a personality thing or because of the way he views humans as not being friends but more like “top buns”

Rabbits have different personalities, he seem to be a social rabbit but dosen’t like being petted.

Have one who never can be still and dosen’t want to be petted until he’s tired. But when he want to be petted he will be a really cuddly bun. But those episodes rarely happens, can just enjoy see him binky everyday and no petting, maybe a few seconds petting then he’s off again [emoji23]

So it’s something to respect.
I was wondering if it is just the way some bunnies were no matter what or if there was something I could change in the way I interact with him that could get him to view me more as a friend for cuddles.

Some bunnies are definitely less desirous of pettings. However, it can also be when the pets are being attempted. Some rabbits are only receptive when the mood happens to strike them. Catch them at the 'wrong' time and they have no interest. The only thing to do with a rabbit like this is to get to know his bunny body language to see when he happens to be receptive.

Along with when you are approaching him, also consider where you are trying to pet him. Bucks particularly don't seem to like being petted on their hind end, back, or sometimes cheeks, because this would be where another buck would try and attack them. So he would consider those vulnerable areas and may not want you touching him there.

For rabbits, us petting them is the equivalent of their mutual grooming behavior. So trying to mimic that will give you the best results. Rabbits are most receptive to being gently stroked on their forehead between their eyes, because this is typically where they would be groomed by another rabbit. Spending time just sitting with your bun to develop a more trusting relationship should also help.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

So pick the right moment, usually after playing when they settle down for a nap, and try just giving gentle head rubs on the forehead.

Something else I thought might be an issue is if you use scented hand soap, lotion, cologne, anything with a strong scent could be putting him off, particularly if the scent is directly on your hands.

Oh, hey, your little guy must be related to my buck!

Yeah, it's up to their individual personalities & dispositions as to whether they like to be pet by humans.

But Blue Eyes has a good point that I've observed with my buck: he almost never likes being pet, but every now and then, at certain later hours of the night, he will welcome grooming from me. And it's only later at night when I'm getting ready to head to bed and the lights are mostly off.

All valid points. I would also like to add, if they are recently fixed, the hormones might also play a part. You may find that once all the hormones have dissipated (6 - 8 weeks after surgery), he might be a little more willing to get pets - just a thought.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back