Rabbit digging/chewing carpet, and now towel?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyRabbit7

Reaction score
Hi there,
My 3 month old new rabbit has been digging at the carpet so I placed some towels around the exercise pen. He is now digging/chewing up the towel.

Is there any way to change this behavior?
He has chew toys like a bundle of sticks, plushies, etc. And plenty of room to run around in his exercise pen.

Thanks.

Nope. Those are natural rabbit behaviors. Although, there are ways to redirect those behaviors.
1. Buy a cheap low pile rug to put down underneath of his pen to keep him from eating/chewing/digging the carpet.
2. Make him a dig box. You can buy a cheap storage bin and fill with shredded newspaper and put toys in there. When you see him wanting to dig on something else put him in the dig box and he may just go ahead and use the dig box without you having to put him in there each time.
Can you post a picture of his set up?
You could also use a cardboard box but it is likely to get chewed up and you will have to replace it every once in a while. But cardboard is perfectly ok for them to chew and eat. In fact, a lot of our buns on here's favorite toy is a toilet paper tube.
upload_2019-12-12_20-26-59.jpeg

Hi, his cage is 4x2ft and enclosure is shown.

He’s relaxing in the pics haha, never expected him to chill just 4 days of adopting him.

Attachments

• D3D085EE-8865-42A2-8769-A53BE631D05D.jpeg
    D3D085EE-8865-42A2-8769-A53BE631D05D.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2532A9D0-5D83-462F-9361-21FE07882AE2.jpeg
    2532A9D0-5D83-462F-9361-21FE07882AE2.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
And a close up to show his <1 day damage to the towel D:

Attachments

• 633A41DA-8AA1-4FFB-A385-9D265ECB597A.jpeg
    633A41DA-8AA1-4FFB-A385-9D265ECB597A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 9
Ok so a few tips if you don't mind me giving you some. I know its not all relevant to your questions but just some useful ones,
1. Definitely find a cheap rug to put under it.
2. The dig box may take up some space so I would recommend making the space bigger, it looks like you have him in an empty room. You can make the space bigger by putting the xpen up to the wall and in a corner if possible.
3. Just use that whole cage as a litter box instead of that little corner one.
4. He needs a LOT more hay than what that hay rack can provide for him and the bars are way too small for him to get through to a lot of it anyway. So I would ditch the hay rack altogether. Rabbits need the same amount of hay as big as they are every day. You can just put the hay directly into the litterbox (cage) which is what most people do. You can put his bowls in his play area.
5. I'm not sure what you use for litter but I highly recommend horse stall wood pellets. They absorb urine and odor extremely well. I can get a 40lbs bag for $6 at Rural King.

He is adorable! Holland lop or Mini lop?

He’s a 3.5 month old holland lop. He’s kept in my bedroom and I’m still litterbox training him. Just adopted him 4 days ago and I think he’s getting the hang of it, save for a few droppings.
I have carefresh paper litter which has been super absorbent.
I can make the hay changes. If I move his food bowl, I’m worried he’ll start pooping all over the place again, but I can try. I know he likes to do his business as he eats.

He’s a 3.5 month old holland lop. He’s kept in my bedroom and I’m still litterbox training him. Just adopted him 4 days ago and I think he’s getting the hang of it, save for a few droppings.
I have carefresh paper litter which has been super absorbent.
I can make the hay changes. If I move his food bowl, I’m worried he’ll start pooping all over the place again, but I can try. I know he likes to do his business as he eats.

Our family, rescues, and sanctuary buns all have their water and food crocks away away from their litter pan. Hay is kept right at or alongside or IN their litter box. Congrats on doing well with potty box training so far.

Is your Carefresh bedding plain? Unscented with no baking soda for odor-control. Baking soda odors and ingestion can be fatal. Rabbits do not vomit.

Pre-neutered boys will continue to territory marble-mark up. Very Happy that you're asking Qs and reading up on care of your new furry. Just like toddlers when it comes to toilet training. Positive praises help with litter box training too. Soon as you see him get the stance and start to lift his tail, let 'im know he's being a good boy.

Re: digging edges or fleece floor coverings. Have you considered a low-weave carpet rug to fit the bottom of his ample-sized pen? Nice to see his spacious safe-area!

Our clan has large-sized cat litter pans that are filled with wood stove pellets or Yesterday's News recycleable paper-based cat litter to alleviate sock hocks. It will be costly to completely cover the flooring of his small caging unit with all pellets or Carefresh! You may want to consider a good-size potty pan that he can turn around in, and munch-munch his hay from a hay manger or hay-holder unit above his pan.

Rabbits like a retreat area or box, hidey cove, V-tent tunnel, too, so fashioning a chew-safe cardboard box with entrance/exit doors might be something to consider? He looks all relaxed though in your photos!

I agree with trying to get him to chew on something else other than the carpet. My rabbit loves to eat up any kind of stacks of papers. Old telephone books, old piles of printer paper, old notebooks. Just make sure it's only the paper he's chewing on :)

My bun will also dig and flurry around with an old, clumpy pillow we no longer use. He doesn't seem to be demolishing it, apart from tugging at it, naturally, so i'm not overly worried about our bun chewing stuff up. As for rugs, i think getting a cheap one is good. Try to look for one that has no long particles or frills or anything. Just flat carpet.

Latest posts

Back