Rabbit digging 24*7!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sana Khanam

Reaction score
My bunny Shawe is 1 week pregnant now and she has started digging the floor. Though it's marble made but she doesn't care, and digs it till she gets tired of it.
She has also started pulling our bedsheets, blankets or any other piece of cloth she finds and create a nest kinda thing behind the door. Also I found that she had dragged the the food and veggies I gave her to her nest instead of eating it.

Is this normal ?? It's suggested to give a nesting box around 28 or 29th day but what should I do about her behavior, she has started building nest in the first week itself!!?

My bunny Shawe is 1 week pregnant now and she has started digging the floor. Though it's marble made but she doesn't care, and digs it till she gets tired of it.
She has also started pulling our bedsheets, blankets or any other piece of cloth she finds and create a nest kinda thing behind the door. Also I found that she had dragged the the food and veggies I gave her to her nest instead of eating it.

Is this normal ?? It's suggested to give a nesting box around 28 or 29th day but what should I do about her behavior, she has started building nest in the first week itself!!?
If you are lucky it might be just a false pregnancy, since you've said you didn't want to breed her. If so she will get back to normal in a couple days. Just make sure your rabbits are separated properly to avoid unplanned breeding again.

This is normal doe behavior. Some even do it when they aren't pregnant. The nesting instinct is very strong. Give her lots of materials she can keep busy with safely. A busy rabbit is a safe and happy rabbit.

Not all does will start acting this way early on, but since you have one, best to keep her gainfully occupied.

Right, normal behaviour for some does. One of mine builds nesting tunnels weeks in advance, seals the entrance and opens it up when it's time to finish the nest.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/nest-in-tunnel-pictures.98176/
My senior doe, 8yo, moves a bucket of earth every day anyway, there's a quite huge cave under my vegetable garden, dispite me shoveling dirt back in every week.

This is normal doe behavior. Some even do it when they aren't pregnant. The nesting instinct is very strong. Give her lots of materials she can keep busy with safely. A busy rabbit is a safe and happy rabbit.

Not all does will start acting this way early on, but since you have one, best to keep her gainfully occupied.
Yeah it's unlike her thus made me worried thought she's happy when she gets all the material to build her nest and busy working all day!😁

Latest posts

Back