Rabbit Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennuh

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about my rabbit's diet.
Usually I feed him twice a day.
The morning he gets a bunch of mixed greens and other vegetables and in evening he gets some pellets.
I was wondering if this was the right way to do it?
Also, I was wondering if the pellets I used were okay?

They're called Peter's Premium Rabbit Diet.
In case no one knows what that is, here are the ingredients and stuff:

Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Shorts, Oat Hulls, Sun-cured Meadow Fescue Hay, Dehydrated Corn Distiller's Grains, Sun-cured Alaska Brome Hay, Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-cured Perennial Ryegrass Hay, Sun-cured Timothy Hay, Sun-cured Birdsfoot Trefoil Hay, Dried Cane Molasses, Sun-cured Red Clover Hay, Sun-cured Bluegrass Hay, Sun-cured White Clover Hay, Dandelion, DL-Methionine, Dried Yeast Extract, Magnesium Oxide, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitmain D Supplement, and Vitamin E Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein 14.0% min Crude Fat 2.0% min Crude Fiber 16.0% min Crude Fiber 21.0% max Moisture 12.0% max Calcium 0.5% min Calcium 1.0% max Phosphorus 0.35% min Salt 0.25% min Salt 0.75% max Vitamin A 2,500 IU/lb min
Thank you so much for helping me!

Hi there! :)

Your rabbit's diet sounds good! I split my pellet feedings between the morning and night with veggies at night just so they don't eat it all at once, but it's fine to give it all at once.

You're pellets sound good! The guaranteed analysis is around where it should be with the protein and fiber, looks like a good pellet!

Thank you so much.
You have no idea how many pet stores I looked in to find good pellets.
None of them had any of the good ones mentioned on the site.
And the ones they did have were pellets that I were told weren't any good.
So when I saw that, I figured I'd give it a try. =D
Also, my sister bought these apple treats for my rabbit.
The ingridients say 100% dehydrated apple.
I know you're not supposed to give treats all the time, but my rabbit seems to like them a lot.
Would once in a while be alright for these?

Yeah, I don't think (unless they are total junk) pellets play too huge of a role because usually they are fed in a small amount. So generally anything around those levels are good.. even if it isn't timothy based. Still lots of good alfalfa based pellets out there.

Are you feeding hay as well? (thought I would mention this just incase)

Dehydrated apple is fine, although since the sugars are so concentrated because it's dried, has to be extra special treat! :) Just introduce it slowly and watch for any digestion upsets.

I give him timothy hay. Whenever he runs out, I just refill it.

Jennuh wrote:
I have a couple of questions about my rabbit's diet.
Usually I feed him twice a day.
The morning he gets a bunch of mixed greens and other vegetables and in evening he gets some pellets.
I was wondering if this was the right way to do it?
Also, I was wondering if the pellets I used were okay?

They're called Peter's Premium Rabbit Diet.
In case no one knows what that is, here are the ingredients and stuff:

Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Shorts, Oat Hulls, Sun-cured Meadow Fescue Hay, Dehydrated Corn Distiller's Grains, Sun-cured Alaska Brome Hay, Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-cured Perennial Ryegrass Hay, Sun-cured Timothy Hay, Sun-cured Birdsfoot Trefoil Hay, Dried Cane Molasses, Sun-cured Red Clover Hay, Sun-cured Bluegrass Hay, Sun-cured White Clover Hay, Dandelion, DL-Methionine, Dried Yeast Extract, Magnesium Oxide, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitmain D Supplement, and Vitamin E Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein 14.0% min Crude Fat 2.0% min Crude Fiber 16.0% min Crude Fiber 21.0% max Moisture 12.0% max Calcium 0.5% min Calcium 1.0% max Phosphorus 0.35% min Salt 0.25% min Salt 0.75% max Vitamin A 2,500 IU/lb min
Thank you so much for helping me!
rabbit diet basics::quality/low-fat pellets,,i use / feed purina rabbit chow-the above sounds simular,,one oz. pellets per # of bun daily///-70% of the daily diet shall be fiber..ie.timothy/orchard grasses(hay)-this is good for the teeth and gi tract(bacteria)-,i like to give a treat daily of dandylions,clover,grass,..sincerely james waller,,you can also google adoptarabbit/rabbitsecrets/houseofrabbit--for a complete list of safe or toxic plants,,vegys,fruits,..sincerely james waller:p

Latest posts

Back