Rabbit died suddenly- has anyone experienced this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is RHD known to be in the country you're in? Or could they have been exposed to any sort of toxin in their environment or food?

So sorry for your loss. As far as I know we don't have RHD here in the states. I noticed alit of messages said "splay " what is that term? I have a New Zeland white fluffy

Is RHD known to be in the country you're in? Or could they have been exposed to any sort of toxin in their environment or food?
This is the first time i’ve heard of it so I’m not sure- i’m in the middle east i am thinking that it could also be their food as well. The only thing I changed recently was their hay as the usual one they have has been out of stock.

RHD(for countries that have this disease) or some sort of toxin would be the most likely causes. Either a toxin from a plant that could have been consumed, or a new batch of hay or food that is contaminated somehow. I'm really sorry for your loss and that this has happened.

Thank you everybody for your kind words.. difficult couple of days but trying to keep strong for Benjamin

Hello All,

I can’t believe I’m writing this. Last night, just 2 nights after Smudge passed away, his brother Woody has gone.. it was in exactly the same way, collapsed and a few moments later was gone. I am absolutely heartbroken and I have no idea how this could have happened. I’ve researched online and found something called RHD. Could it possiblly be this? I am so worried about the last brother that’s been left behind- firstly if the same thing is going to happen to him and also how he will manage without his brothers

Ooh no.. :( I’m so sorry for you lose I wish I could help. I’ve heard of that disease that’s been going around in Washington i believe and New York.

Hello All,

I can’t believe I’m writing this. Last night, just 2 nights after Smudge passed away, his brother Woody has gone.. it was in exactly the same way, collapsed and a few moments later was gone. I am absolutely heartbroken and I have no idea how this could have happened. I’ve researched online and found something called RHD. Could it possiblly be this? I am so worried about the last brother that’s been left behind- firstly if the same thing is going to happen to him and also how he will manage without his brothers
I am so sorry! Disenfect all the stuff they were around, then give your bunny lots of love.

Hello All,

Are your bunnies all from the same litter? If so, it might have been an accelerated E coniculi. E coniculi is a parasite on the spine that affects their mobility. The worst part is that it’s such a fast and sudden thing. Some rabbits hold out longer than others but even if you do find a way to cure it, there will be lasting effects. There is also no way to prevent it. It is a genetic thing that is passed from mother to babies. My first rabbit had E coniculi and I came home and she was fine and then 30 minutes later she was completely paralyzed. We rushed her to the vet and she made it through the night but we decided to put her down because it was too late to save her. It moves incredibly fast. I am so sorry for your loss. It’s amazing how such a small animal can leave such a big hole in your heart.

Hello everybody, unfortunately the 3rd bunny passed away this morning. I am so devastated, i cant believe that all 3 have gone in the space of 5 days. I am now sure it must have been some kind of viral infection from their hay or food.
Thank you all so much for all the advice and kind words you gave me..

Oh no!:eek: I'm so sorry!:( I'm praying for you as you grieve. It is good to grieve and remember your bunnies so don't feel bad for taking the time to say goodbye.

I am so sorry:( you did your best and like mariam+theo said,grieving is a good thing. I will be praying for you as you go through it, take your time though!

Jas - I wanted to say I'm so sorry for your devastating loss. If you purchased the food/hay you suspect from a pet store or it is branded, I would highly recommend letting them know what happened. If there is some contamination it could be useful to possibly prevent it from happening to other buns. I'd call the pet store or company and let them know what happened and that you at least suspect this .

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

Thank you everybody for being so kind- it has been a tough week
I will inform the pet store right away..
Thank you all again for your kindness

Am so sorry about your losses. Could well be that. Could you take the remaining one to vet asap??? Set what the vet has to say. Are you in any area where they have released the virus. This is what we all dread and you have had the extreme pain of losing two fur buns in a short time.

Is there any more updates in the last few days? I hope the remaining brother is still going.

Sending hugs and well wishes.

RHD is released in 2 strains here in Australia, but there is only a vaccine for one. Vets recommend vax every 6 months. I would still suggest vet visit if possible.

Am so sorry about your losses. Could well be that. Could you take the remaining one to vet asap??? Set what the vet has to say. Are you in any area where they have released the virus. This is what we all dread and you have had the extreme pain of losing two fur buns in a short time.

Is there any more updates in the last few days? I hope the remaining brother is still going.

Sending hugs and well wishes.

Unfortunately her 3rd one passed as wel . So devastating

So very very devastating. something definitely suspicious may well have caused the three of them to pass so suddenly.
Don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault. You did the best you could for them and they would have loved you for it.
And don't let it necessarily stop you from loving another bunny again. Bunnies like all beautiful creatures are complicated beings and have complex issues. We as carers never ever stop learning things about them in regards to diseases, diet and care, no matter how long we have have had the privilege of looking after them. I know I haven't for sure.
I have lost 5 in my 12 years and still miss them sorely, and currently am mum to 5. My last passing back less than 2 months ago at 2 and a bit from a sudden heart attack. Devasted me.
So I can partially imagine what you are going thru, but losing all three....that is horrific.
Just try to take from thid (when you are able, don't rush it...) the fact you did your best, circumstances were beyond your control, your buns loved you and had a great life for 3 years. They are now at the bridge binking with my 5. :). But also take, what you have learned about RHD and the fact of vaccinations available and whatever recommendations there are by vets in your country where you live. The other mosquito bborne disease is myxomatosis as is also fatal. There is a vax against that too, but not in my country, Australia, thanks to our lovely government.
But most of all. Take some time and care of yourelf.
You are/were a good bun mum/dad.
Hugs.

So very very devastating. something definitely suspicious may well have caused the three of them to pass so suddenly.
Don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault. You did the best you could for them and they would have loved you for it.
And don't let it necessarily stop you from loving another bunny again. Bunnies like all beautiful creatures are complicated beings and have complex issues. We as carers never ever stop learning things about them in regards to diseases, diet and care, no matter how long we have have had the privilege of looking after them. I know I haven't for sure.
I have lost 5 in my 12 years and still miss them sorely, and currently am mum to 5. My last passing back less than 2 months ago at 2 and a bit from a sudden heart attack. Devasted me.
So I can partially imagine what you are going thru, but losing all three....that is horrific.
Just try to take from thid (when you are able, don't rush it...) the fact you did your best, circumstances were beyond your control, your buns loved you and had a great life for 3 years. They are now at the bridge binking with my 5. :). But also take, what you have learned about RHD and the fact of vaccinations available and whatever recommendations there are by vets in your country where you live. The other mosquito bborne disease is myxomatosis as is also fatal. There is a vax against that too, but not in my country, Australia, thanks to our lovely government.
But most of all. Take some time and care of yourelf.
You are/were a good bun mum/dad.
Hugs.
very well said! when you are ready there will be more lucky bunnies to mom!

Latest posts

Back