Rabbit died during spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy699

Reaction score
So my rabbit went in for spaying today. Called them and they said she had trouble recovering and her heart stopped beating. I asked why, they said they don’t know why she died.

Any advice please? Is this normal

She would of been 6 months next week.

Sorry for your loss.

There’s always a risk when spaying/ neutering because of the anesthetic. Rabbit’s are extremely sensitive pets and sometimes they won’t make it.

It can be many factors that could of been the problem for a bunny to die, often it’s inexperience vets (not used with bunnies).

The most important thing for bunnies are to find veterinarian that are used with handling bunnies. It can also be some hidden health issues and so on.

Sorry for your loss.

There’s always a risk when spaying/ neutering because of the anesthetic. Rabbit’s are extremely sensitive pets and sometimes they won’t make it.

It can be many factors that could of been the problem for a bunny to die, often it’s inexperience vets (not used with bunnies).

The most important thing for bunnies are to find veterinarian that are used with handling bunnies. It can also be some hidden health issues and so on.

I went to see the vet. They did xrays and looks like it was heart, they did the spay, it was coming around after it when taking the tube out that her heart stopped.

I went to see the vet. They did xrays and looks like it was heart, they did the spay, it was coming around after it when taking the tube out that her heart stopped.

It’s very saddening to hear that your bunny died under these circumstances. The vet most likely did all they could, and your bunny did her best to survive. Sometimes the unexpected happens.

So sorry for your loss. Sometimes it just happens thru no fault by anyone. We mostly have rescued males as it's easier and way less costly. Hopefully, the hole in your heart will get better over time--hang onto the happy memories.

Latest posts

Back