Rabbit diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prap

Reaction score
Hello,
Tuesday, nearly a week ago, I had my freeroam rabbit neutered. Last night, saturday, he stopped eating so i fed him some banana which was the only thing he'd eat.
Then this morning i took him to the vet, as he suddenly got terrible diarrhea in the middle of the night. They handed me some critical care and a syringe and told me to force feed him that. However, even with the vet I am still terrible worried about him, as the diarrhea is currently so bad it just keeps running out of him as if the food just goes directly through. He is being very passive.
Should I trust the vet and just keep giving him the food and hope the diarrhea stops? Either way I'm bringing him back to a different vet tomorrow to ensure he is alright, but the poop just really worries me and I was hoping people could give me some advice of what to do :-(

You need to get him back to the vet immediately! It can't wait until tomorrow.

Diarrhea is an emergency and can prove fatal. It's caused by pathogenic bacteria. He needs to be treated for enterotoxemia with the meds metronidazole(antibiotic) and cholestyramine(absorbs bacterial toxins). He also needs to be given sub q or IV fluids, and will need to continue to have good fluid therapy with the cholestyramine. Print off the below link if you need to show it to the vet, and request those specific medications. It's what I would do.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

It was only because i already brought him to the vet once today with this issue, where they didn't seem very concerned and he prescribed no meds only gave me to food to force feed. I'm aware the diarrhea is a serious matter which is why i took him to the vets immediately, but it seemed odd to me that some critical care food would be enough to get him healthy again. He checked his privates from after the surgery but said it all looked fine. I consulted a nurse vet i know who also did not seem very worried but also mentioned that the lack of medicine was strange.
To me as a concerned pet owner his state seems really bad, but it is the opinion of 2 professionals that gives me mixed feelings about the situation and is why i decided to seek out forums.
I really appreciate your reply, and will take it very seriously. The rabbit is no older than 15 weeks and is very much loved, so I will do anything to ensure he gets through this safely.

Not all vets are experienced enough with rabbits to understand that profuse watery diarrhea is very dangerous and often fatal in rabbits. I'm just telling you my informed opinion, backed by the link that I shared. Enterotoxemia caused by the clostridium bacteria is not something to mess around with or delay treatment. Even with prompt treatment it can prove fatal very quickly.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Hello, I felt like you may still want an update :)
I decided to call the emergency vet again talking about my concerns and discuss the situation, but they insisted this would work and told me to be a little patient and come back in the morning... That being the only vet in the area I had no choice but to listen, but he's now drinking on his own again, more willing to take the syringe food and his feces are finally starting to become more solid (It was like tiny lakes before, now it's just sticky deformed poop) so I'm feeling a little more positive and the rabbit appears to no longer get as much poop stuck in his fur. He is still quiet and passive but otherwise seems happier when i feed him and his poop is looking a little healther :)

Latest posts

Back