Rabbit Dental Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vietanh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Viet Anh. I'm from Vietnam. I have a rabbit over 4 years old who is having problems with teeth. Hope the rabbit-loving community can take the time to read and give advice on this case.
My rabbit was picked up on September 10, 2018, when she was more than 2 months old. She is very active and cheerful, obedient. However, she rarely eats timothy grass even though I have tried many ways (hanging grass, mixing with favorite food, starving,...). She got wet chin around the end of September this year, yellow/green wet chin hair. After two exams, the doctor concluded that she had an overgrown lower left molar and advised that the tooth should be sharpened, using anesthetic. After consulting with experts and experienced people, I decided to have her perform this surgery. However, I am very worried. In addition to looking into the relevant literature, the doctor also said that there are risks in anesthesia. Not only that, Vietnam is not a country with good veterinary, especially for exotic pets.
I love her so much, she's like my sister so I want to give her the best I can and I want her to live with me as long as possible. Hopefully anyone who has had a rabbit with a similar experience (anesthesia at 4 years old, anesthesia for dental treatment,...) can give me experience and advice? Can your rabbit make it through? What should I do to give her the best care? Thank you very much.

Hi, I'm Viet Anh. I'm from Vietnam. I have a rabbit over 4 years old who is having problems with teeth. Hope the rabbit-loving community can take the time to read and give advice on this case.
My rabbit was picked up on September 10, 2018, when she was more than 2 months old. She is very active and cheerful, obedient. However, she rarely eats timothy grass even though I have tried many ways (hanging grass, mixing with favorite food, starving,...). She got wet chin around the end of September this year, yellow/green wet chin hair. After two exams, the doctor concluded that she had an overgrown lower left molar and advised that the tooth should be sharpened, using anesthetic. After consulting with experts and experienced people, I decided to have her perform this surgery. However, I am very worried. In addition to looking into the relevant literature, the doctor also said that there are risks in anesthesia. Not only that, Vietnam is not a country with good veterinary, especially for exotic pets.
I love her so much, she's like my sister so I want to give her the best I can and I want her to live with me as long as possible. Hopefully anyone who has had a rabbit with a similar experience (anesthesia at 4 years old, anesthesia for dental treatment,...) can give me experience and advice? Can your rabbit make it through? What should I do to give her the best care? Thank you very much.
You really don't have any choice. Dental problems cannot be ignored. Your bunny would stop eating eventually. Burring teeth is quite a routine operation and they are not under anaesthesia for very long at all. Hope all goes well.

As Diane R said, there really aren't any other options. If your rabbit has dental issues, they need to be fixed or your rabbits condition could continue to worsen. Going to the most experienced rabbit vet possible, will help with there being less risk from the sedation. So if you are taking your rabbit to the best rabbit vet around, that's about all you can do to minimize the risks of sedation for the surgery.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Teeth
(LINK CONTIANS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/

You really don't have any choice. Dental problems cannot be ignored. Your bunny would stop eating eventually. Burring teeth is quite a routine operation and they are not under anaesthesia for very long at all. Hope all goes well.
Thank you so much!

As Diane R said, there really aren't any other options. If your rabbit has dental issues, they need to be fixed or your rabbits condition could continue to worsen. Going to the most experienced rabbit vet possible, will help with there being less risk from the sedation. So if you are taking your rabbit to the best rabbit vet around, that's about all you can do to minimize the risks of sedation for the surgery.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Teeth
(LINK CONTIANS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
Thank you for the advice!

Latest posts

Back