Rabbit color questions. Lots of pictures....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimchilla

Reaction score
I've been calling our doe a black otter, that is correct right? Someone called her a silver marten and I thought maybe I'm wrong?
Some of her kits, are silver marten, correct? (pictures 4 & 5) or are those black otter?
Now "bun 1" (pic 6) vrs "bun 3" (pic 7) what color do you call those? Bun 1 has very little if any of the light otter shadding. I've been calling them brown and brown otter :p thought I'd ask...
More questions. She was bred to the harlequin (or is he a tort otter?!) mini for this past litter. This winter I will breed her to the blue buck. What are the color possibilities with the black otter and the blue? Thanks.

DSC_0832_Fotor.jpg DSC_0869_Fotor.jpg DSC_0824_Fotor.jpg DSC_0852_Fotor.jpg DSC_0826_Fotor.jpg DSC_0856_Fotor.jpg DSC_0830_Fotor.jpg

Last edited:
The difference between otter and silver marten is that otters have some orange pigment in their white markings, and silver marten don't. It's especially visible behind the ears - it's usually orange or fawn on an otter, but silvery white on a silver marten.

"Bun 1" and "Bun 3" look to be some shade of otter (or maybe some shade of silver marten, if you can't find any fawn/cream in their markings). The difference is "Bun 1" looks to be harlequinized - having a harlequin parent can add uneven darkening to the otter/marten markings. It's hard to tell on the screen what shade of otter they exactly are - blue otter, chocolate otter and lilac otter are all possibilities, you might want to look up pictures of those to compare (note: if they don't have of that orange pigment behind the ears, and you think they're silver marten instead, you'f just substitute it out - so blue silver marten, chocolate silver marten, or lilac silver marten). With Bun 1, people usually write "Harlequinized" before the color, for example "Harlequinized Chocolate Otter" (if you decide he is a chocolate otter), while "Bun 3" would be, in that example, just "Chocolate Otter"

Thank-you! Thats an easy way to tell..

I think that they all have that orange color behind the ears. I know mom does. DSC_0831.JPG This is Bun 1, you can see it in that photo of him.

So I would be right in calling my male mini Rex a harlequin, then? (Assuming he is where bun 1 got Harlequinized from) DSC_0008.JPG

He looks like a "Torted Harlequin" (he is a harlequin but he still has some of that tort shading around the face and ears, that means he most likely carries tort)

I've been calling our doe a black otter, that is correct right? Someone called her a silver marten and I thought maybe I'm wrong?
Some of her kits, are silver marten, correct? (pictures 4 & 5) or are those black otter?
Now "bun 1" (pic 6) vrs "bun 3" (pic 7) what color do you call those? Bun 1 has very little if any of the light otter shadding. I've been calling them brown and brown otter :p thought I'd ask...
More questions. She was bred to the harlequin (or is he a tort otter?!) mini for this past litter. This winter I will breed her to the blue buck. What are the color possibilities with the black otter and the blue? Thanks.

View attachment 42121 View attachment 42122 View attachment 42123 View attachment 42124 View attachment 42125 View attachment 42126 View attachment 42127

Latest posts

Back