Rabbit Choking... what to watch for afterward?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenclawMama

Reaction score
I got into Max's enclosure with some pellets and set them down next to me. He ran up and started scarfing them down (same as usual), and all of a sudden, he stopped and started turning in circles and standing up on his hind legs. After about 10 seconds, I realized something was wrong. He NEVER runs away from his pellets. So I watched him for a few more seconds. He was frantic and jumping around and swiping at his nose with his paws. He hopped up into the second level of his cage and I realized that I had to do something. I've had human first response training, so I decided to try a Heimlich. I was scared I would hurt him, but choking to death would hurt him, too. I basically picked him up by the sides and put the pads of my fingers under his ribs and let the force of my picking him up push into his diaphragm. I was just about to try again when he started throwing up pellets.

Honestly, a rabbit choking on his pellets had never occurred to me. From now on, I think I am going to mix them into his hay so that he has to forage for them a couple at a time.

Afterward, he laid there, sort of wheezing for a while, and sneezing. After about 15 minutes, he cleaned himself up and ate a bowl of greens and a strawberry. He seems to be feeling better, but does anyone know what I should watch for? I have to go to bed soon, but I am willing to get up and check on him. He keeps sneezing, but I am assuming he is just clearing his airway?

Thanks!

If he had discharge coming out of his mouth and/or nose, and also with him continuing to sneeze, there is a high likelihood of aspiration having occurred. If this happened it can very easily lead to aspiration pneumonia occurring. So if there is any chance or suspicion that he aspirated anything, I would get him seen by an experienced rabbit vet tomorrow, as he would likely need to be put on an antibiotic like baytril, and may also need meloxicam to reduce inflammation.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

But well done! It sounds like you saved your buns life with your quick thinking. Hopefully it never happens again, but for future purposes there is a method suggested for rabbits that is similar to what is used for clearing an obstruction with an infant. There are a few different methods mentioned in the link, but these are mostly personal opinions, and some can cause further harm to a rabbit if not done correctly. So to be safe you should ask your vet about it first.
https://www.vgr1.com/choking/

For over eager pellet eaters, scatter feeding on the floor can also be effective. Another option is one of those cat treat balls, so your bun would have to work for his pellets.

I contacted his vet, and she had me monitor him. The sneezing had stopped within an hour or so after the incident, and he has been eating, hopping, and pooping as usual. She said to continue to watch him and check in on Monday, but he seems ok.
Thank you so much for your response <3

Latest posts

Back