Rabbit chewing plastered dry walls and paint.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a girl rabbit that likes to chew on the corners off our walls. She also likes the wood running boards too. She also has a talent for peeling off the paint and eating it. The issues with this are

1) She is eating the paint. She seems fine but we are concerned. She does have an appointment in October with a vet.
2) We rent and would like the security deposit back. We have plans to repair the damage.
We have tried Dove and Ivory soap and also a spray called No Chew spray. It was one of the few with the review that read stopped my rabbit from chewing. All of these worked for a bit but stopped deterring her. I do keep putting them back in but sometimes it seems like she likes them.

Any one have any suggestion? She does have cardboard, straw balls and mats, towels, chew sticks, and a foraging mat to chew on.

Thank you!

I've seen my rabbits eat the plaster off walls or eat dirt from the ground. My take is that there is some kind of deficite, I offer them a block of stone salt now and then. I'm not sure this helps, but doesn't hurt either.

I've seen my rabbits eat the plaster off walls or eat dirt from the ground. My take is that there is some kind of deficite, I offer them a block of stone salt now and then. I'm not sure this helps, but doesn't hurt either.
I will have to get some. I have tried this with my other rabbits. But then they have not chewed the walls like this one. She also likes to chew the wood running boards but I think this is she likes to chew.

Gotta love it! We get them all these cool toys and enrichment stuff- yet their end goal is to just destroy the baseboards 😂 I had a Mini Lop as a kid that was OBSESSED with eating the drywall in the basement. Absolutely nothing worked to stop him other than lining the walls with x-pen panels with a 5" buffer between the panels and the walls. Not super practical- some bunnies just can't free range as well as others. My Belgian Hare is only out when directly supervised, and otherwise lives in a big x-pen (or she would demolish our wood paneling).

Our rabbit used to chew baseboards and other things. Was told that it helps to find something that she would prefer to chew more than the baseboards. I tried giving her options from every source I could think of. Once we found her favorite thing to chew, she never chewed on baseboards anymore. We tried all kinds of things but her personal favorite ended up being Lava Bites. I never heard of anyone else’s rabbit liking these but she loved them. Her distant second favorite was willow cubes. She didn’t like willow sticks or willow balls though. The willow has to be a cube shape. Rabbits! So demanding! Good luck 👍

Complete rabbit proofing will likely be necessary.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bunny-proofing
https://bunnyproof.com/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html
Also, if you live in an older home with old paint, you'll want to check to make sure there's no lead in it, as this is of course toxic.

https://www.birdexoticsvet.com.au/blogblog/2020/6/9/lead-poisoning-in-rabbits
It is the corners of the walls in our bathroom. Any suggestions on rabbit poofing that?

They usually just have a double-sided tape on them, so, yeah... not too difficult to pull off later. I suppose it's possible it could pull some paint off but IF it does, that would be far easier to deal with than chewed corners. Some may have holes in them for screws (or tac nails) so you can decide which type to get.

Hello,

I have a girl rabbit that likes to chew on the corners off our walls. She also likes the wood running boards too. She also has a talent for peeling off the paint and eating it. The issues with this are

1) She is eating the paint. She seems fine but we are concerned. She does have an appointment in October with a vet.
2) We rent and would like the security deposit back. We have plans to repair the damage.
We have tried Dove and Ivory soap and also a spray called No Chew spray. It was one of the few with the review that read stopped my rabbit from chewing. All of these worked for a bit but stopped deterring her. I do keep putting them back in but sometimes it seems like she likes them.

Any one have any suggestion? She does have cardboard, straw balls and mats, towels, chew sticks, and a foraging mat to chew on.

Thank you!
i dont know if the chew stone available in your country or not,
but my rabbit sometime want to chew something, not much i think only when she want to correct her teeth she start to bite stuff
so i always have 1-2 of these stone ready
and will offer her to bite,
after she destroy these stones she will calm for few days
and she is so funny when bite and dig on it
good thing about this stone is have hay inside of it as you can see
i tried salt stone for longgg time but my rabbit never bited it and did not like it

Attachments

• سنگ-کلسیم-و-معدنی-برای-کوتاهی-دندان-جوندگان-حاوی-سبزیجات-برند-FEREDY-2.jpg
    سنگ-کلسیم-و-معدنی-برای-کوتاهی-دندان-جوندگان-حاوی-سبزیجات-برند-FEREDY-2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
ughhhh Mine too. My saying with bunnies is "when you think you are fully Bun-Proofed, they will prove you wrong again and again"

Latest posts

Back