Rabbit Charging Feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishOtter

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I have a two year old male lop that we've had since he was 8 weeks old (Finn). He was neutered at 6 months. He's always been a very easy going bunny. Has never bitten, and very rarely thumps or grunts. He gets the run of the house while we are home. During work and at night, he stays in an extra large dog kennel. He is very much a daddy's boy though, and spends most of his time in the office by him.

We adopted a 4 month old male lop 4 weeks ago (Otis). We put him in our bedroom and kept the door closed. Our intention was to keep them separate until we had Otis neutered, and then we'd begin the bonding process.The first few days were fine, but when Finn finally got a wift of Otis under the door, he charged my boyfriend, grunted, and attempted to bite his shins. He did the same to me a day later. After this incident, we decided to move Otis next door to my condo (we both own a condo across the hall from each other).

My boyfriend's work schedule also drastically shifted unexpectedly after we already brought Otis home. He went from a 6am-2pm day shift, to a 8pm-6am night shift, which has completely shifted Finn's running time.

It's been about 3 weeks since Otis moved next door. He was neutered last week. Finn has continued to charge us. He charges me more than my boyfriend, as though he's protecting my boyfriend. However, it's less aggressive then before and he doesn't appear to try and nip anymore. I've started to wear boots around him, and try not to react when he does charge. We understand he's still smelling Otis, and that the schedule change isn't helping. We are going to wait 2 more weeks before we start switching items and really beginning the bonding process. Is there anything we can do for Finn in the meantime? Is there anything I/we should be doing to stop his charges? We were expecting aggression towards the new rabbit, not us :(

Thank you!

Possibly cleanse the house of Otis's odor and you before you go to see Finn. Male-Male pairs are a lot of work to bond just keep in mind Female-Male pairs are the best. Since he smells Otis on you and he has more than likely already claimed you as his it's making him territorial.

Latest posts

Back