Rabbit charging and grunting aggressively at his companion/brother

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MopsyLops

Reaction score
I have a 1 year (and 7 months) year old Mini lop and a 1 year (and 3 months) year old Lionhead. They are both males. They are both 24/7 free roamed. They are both neutered.

They have been together since they were babies. They are bonded. They have had a very nurturing and strong relationship.

But recently the Lionhead has started to suddenly charge full speed at the mini lop whilst grunting loudly.

Sometimes the mini lop decides to move after sitting for a while and that movement causes the lion head to suddenly viciously charge at him full speed, pretty much head butting the minilop.

I do not know why the sudden change in behaviour. I also don't understand his reasons for this.

Is my lionhead attacking my minilop....if so, then why all of a sudden, after they have been best friends since babies? Or is he trying to communicate something and it is harmless "talking"...?

I am not sure if he bares his teeth or tries to bite the minilop as it happens very fast but my minilop has no sign of injury so I do not think biting is happening, but I worry if it might escalate to that. I am do not know what I should do. I am a very worried mummy.

By chance do you have a video of what's going on? It could be a territorial charge(for space, toy, etc) to full on fighting and the more experienced members here should be able to help you out :)

By chance do you have a video of what's going on? It could be a territorial charge(for space, toy, etc) to full on fighting and the more experienced members here should be able to help you out :)

Thanks for the reply! :) Sadly, right now I do not have a video, because it always takes me by surprise. I am not sure it is about a toy or food as there isn' any food or toy there when it happens.....maybe charging for space, but if that is the case then there is many areas my mini lop isn't allowed to go as it has happened in many different spaces....but then again, my mini lop is sometimes in those exact same spots and no charging happens, so maybe it isn't about that.

Have you changed anything in their environment? New furniture, a new location? Any changes like a new pet in the home, new people, loud environmental sounds, new smells, any litte critters like mice, or the possibility of a predator hanging around outside? Has your minilop been getting more of your(or anyone elses) attention lately, maybe getting more pets? Just any change or anything new that could explain this change of behavior.

Has either bunny been experiencing any other changes of behavior like unusual lethargy or changes in eating, something that could be signaling there is a potential health problem sparking this new aggression?

Thanks for the reply! :) Sadly, right now I do not have a video, because it always takes me by surprise. I am not sure it is about a toy or food as there isn' any food or toy there when it happens.....maybe charging for space, but if that is the case then there is many areas my mini lop isn't allowed to go as it has happened in many different spaces....but then again, my mini lop is sometimes in those exact same spots and no charging happens, so maybe it isn't about that.
Well if you can, try to get a video, as it would help us to see if it's a territorial charge, fighting for attention, etc. As Jbun said, if you changed anything in their environment recently it could also play a factor or something like a health issue causing pain and the aggressive bun just want it's space. Hope it all works itself out without any fighting or nipping, but try to get a video if possible :)

Latest posts

Back