Rabbit carrying hay in her mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiebunny

Reaction score
Hi there

So I suspected that my rabbit was pregnant, however I thought it was a phantom pregnancy because she made a nest and then never had kits. But now she’s running around frantically with hay in her mouth and I’ve worked out that she’s nearing her due date. So does this mean she is definitely pregnant? I’ve attached some pictures of her. Thanks

Attachments

• 34A8525A-E78D-46D7-A9C9-A943A3E3F196.jpeg
    34A8525A-E78D-46D7-A9C9-A943A3E3F196.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 6
  • B3388ABF-4D70-443E-BCE6-475A2AA98EBD.jpeg
    B3388ABF-4D70-443E-BCE6-475A2AA98EBD.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 42D3315D-B9E8-41F0-BAAE-490352C4706D.jpeg
    42D3315D-B9E8-41F0-BAAE-490352C4706D.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 6
It very well can be. My rabbits do sometimes build nests in advance, just found one in the garden yesterday, but she kindled normally at due date in the hutch.

Hi there

So I suspected that my rabbit was pregnant, however I thought it was a phantom pregnancy because she made a nest and then never had kits. But now she’s running around frantically with hay in her mouth and I’ve worked out that she’s nearing her due date. So does this mean she is definitely pregnant? I’ve attached some pictures of her. Thanks
Since you bred her 5th April (with 6 fall-offs) today is day 27 and it is time for nesting, so just give her a nestbox and provide with lots of hay and water.

Is your male rabbit still around, was he already neutered?

If they are able to see / smell each other or had any contact about two weeks ago it can also be another phantom pregnancy

>> Hey there I’m new to breeding rabbits and have some questions

>>
---------------------------------------------
Hi there everyone I’m new here

I have two pet rabbits, one male and one female. They are mixed breed and about 5 months old,
I wanted to breed them before I get them fixed. Today I put them together for an hour to see what happened, the female was willing to mate and the male had about 6 fall offs with loud grunts. They are currently living in separate pens and are doing well. Here’s my questions:

Will she definitely be pregnant?

Do I need to put them together again? And what will happen if they breed again while she’s pregnant?

What should I feed the female now she’s pregnant? She currently eats unlimited Timothy hay, 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets and a cup of veggies (usually collard greens and romaine lettuce).

Should I breed them again on day fourteen to be sure she’s pregnant? I’ve heard this is dangerous though, what do you guys think?

It will be her first litter, is they’re anything bad that might happen that I should be prepared for?

thanks to everyone who reads this and answers my questions :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Since you bred her 5th April (with 6 fall-offs) today is day 27 and it is time for nesting, so just give her a nestbox and provide with lots of hay and water.

Is your male rabbit still around, was he already neutered?

If they are able to see / smell each other or had any contact about two weeks ago it can also be another phantom pregnancy

>> Hey there I’m new to breeding rabbits and have some questions

>>
---------------------------------------------
Hi there everyone I’m new here

I have two pet rabbits, one male and one female. They are mixed breed and about 5 months old,
I wanted to breed them before I get them fixed. Today I put them together for an hour to see what happened, the female was willing to mate and the male had about 6 fall offs with loud grunts. They are currently living in separate pens and are doing well. Here’s my questions:

Will she definitely be pregnant?

Do I need to put them together again? And what will happen if they breed again while she’s pregnant?

What should I feed the female now she’s pregnant? She currently eats unlimited Timothy hay, 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets and a cup of veggies (usually collard greens and romaine lettuce).

Should I breed them again on day fourteen to be sure she’s pregnant? I’ve heard this is dangerous though, what do you guys think?

It will be her first litter, is they’re anything bad that might happen that I should be prepared for?

thanks to everyone who reads this and answers my questions :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Yes I still have my male rabbit, he stays in a separate playpen beside her and he was neutered on the 9th of April. They have not been in close contact since then.

Hi

Yes I still have my male rabbit, he stays in a separate playpen beside her and he was neutered on the 9th of April. They have not been in close contact since then.
So I would think she could be pregnant from where you bred her then you can expect babies this week around Wed-Thurs, or it can be another phantom pregnancy because they are still very close to each other and it's less than 1 month after his neutering, so he still smells and acts like a full male and she can react to his smell and presence. I would prepare nesting box just in case.

Here's how to prepare nesting box, if you don't have a proper one you can use something what you have at hand, but make sure sides are high enough so kits can't be dragged out after nursing and their place is rather small and they can't get out her enclosure through the bars since they will be very tiny.

Using planter as a nest box

Make sure she has plenty of hay, water and high protein food unlimited. Before kindling she might eat very little but it's okay. You can also cover part of her enclosure over nest box with a blanket or something so she can feel undisturbed. They don't like being watched when giving birth and nursing.

Latest posts

Back