Rabbit cannot lay down?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandynDafny

Reaction score
I’ve had my rabbit for nearly 5 years, he’s healthy and nurtured the only time i’ve had to take him to the vet outside of a checkup is a scratch on his eye (which rendered him half blind). he is also a healthy weight, and very affectionate and loving.
He has a problem that he has had all of his life in which he cannot lay down, or stand on his hind legs, he can only be on all fours. to the point where if he slips into his side while hopping around he will wiggle and panic until someone helps him up. he cannot bunny flop either obviously. he did this before he was half blind, i’m wondering if it has something to do with the fact he was hand reared by humans because his mother rejected him.

Could there be any underlying health issues to worry about?? the vet said he was fine but it’s still really confusing

My bunny was hand fed because his mother tried to kill him when he was born. He’s a runt, so he was the smallest and weakest of his siblings. Maybe his bunny mom knew her kit was sick and was going to let the weak kit die. It’s normal among animals.

He might have just been born with some defect which is causing him having trouble laying on the side. But your bunny have showed he’s a fighter.

It sounds like there is either a problem in his spine or hind limbs preventing him from having normal range of motion and function, so that he is unable to do those particular movements. It could have been an injury before he came to you, or something he was born with.

Latest posts

Back