Rabbit Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Unfortunately the liner would get chewed to bits. :oops: Aside from the liner, though, it's very similar to a cube cage (NIC cage) made with grids.:) You could consider getting some grids (from kits for wired cube shelving) and make your own -- one that would be larger. A rabbit cage should be considerably larger. For ideas, take a look at the following links:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
what is a good liner to use then? i have a rug floor and i want something that's easy to clean. I wanted to use Fleece but im told thats hazardous as in they will chew it and choke. The height of the cage is concerning to me. What is a good height?

I'm not sure on height, but what I did with some wire grid shelving for my bunny is this.
IMG_20210222_180237.jpg
If I recall, as long as your bunny has a good grip on the floor, like with the puzzle mats I used in the picture, and a fleece blanket covering bio-degradible as a pillow bed, my rabbit seems to love it. The sides of his hide-away is about two shelves high so he can't jump over them.

Last edited:
No. Unfortunately the liner would get chewed to bits. :oops: Aside from the liner, though, it's very similar to a cube cage (NIC cage) made with grids.:) You could consider getting some grids (from kits for wired cube shelving) and make your own -- one that would be larger. A rabbit cage should be considerably larger. For ideas, take a look at the following links:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
if i just put bedding in the liner it should be fine yes?

I had originally purchased a large pricey cage with a little pen attached and quickly realized the cage was too small and pen was too low. I found on Amazon exercise pens they are $30-50 come in a variety of heights. I use a washable puppy pad for the bottom.

if i just put bedding in the liner it should be fine yes?
No. Bunny will still chew the liner. Bedding won't cover the sides of the liner and bunny can dig any bedding away to get to the liner on the floor.

The cage is also too small. Have you had the time to look at the two links provided earlier? I think it would be helpful to see a number of other cage options that are shown on those links.

Also, remember that rabbits potty train which makes cleanup much easier. When a rabbit is potty trained, they do not (should not) have bedding all over the cage floor. That just makes a mess, is a pain to clean up, and is costly.

The second link (to my website) has much information on how to prepare for a rabbit before you get one. The mobile version isn't as user friendly as a desktop/laptop version. Rabbits are unique pets and many of us, before we got a rabbit, didn't appreciate just how different they are. The more one can learn about them beforehand, the better it is-- not only for the person but for the rabbit as well. Here are other relevant links that should be worth the time to check out:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/myths.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html
As for having carpet on the floor, that shouldn't be a problem. There are several options depending on the type of cage or pen you use. Linoleum/vinyl flooring piece is an easy to clean option and can be seen at some of those links. The key is to be sure bunny cannot access the edges. The photos show how this is done.

Height isn't a concern if you make a cube grid cage since it can have a ceiling. If you use an ex-pen or similar, I would not go less than 30" in height. With pens, it's important to not have hidey boxes placed near the pen wall otherwise bunny might use it as a step to jump over the pen.

Last edited:
Rabbits aren’t meant to be in cages. They are too small for a rabbit as they need room to run, hide, and play. I would either make a pen out of grids or buy an xpen for them. It really makes their life better:)

I did the same as @Freedom, large dog crate that for the first week-ish I had Willa she was in except when supervised to make litter training easier and teach her that that is her safe place and then about two weeks in just leaving the door open always. I try to avoid petting her or bothering her when she is in her "bedroom" so that she feels that she has a space she can go to be left alone. I also never force her to be in her cage, it is always her choice to come or go. I never lock her in except for maybe thirty minutes every once in a while if need to deep clean and want her out of the way. We also have to move and travel a lot, so the other huge benefit is that when we leave I just close the door and put the whole thing in the back of the car and she feels comfortable in her "bedroom" for the trip.

The first pic is Willa taking some "me time" right when I got her (choose a full-size litter box instead of a corner and hay should be right next to it, she and I were still learning what worked the best for us in the first few days and the litterbox was what I had lying around)

The second is Willa and Foxwell choosing to hang out next to Fox's "bedroom". See the doors open and they are just relaxing with the option to go to bed.

Attachments

• IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm not sure on height, but what I did with some wire grid shelving for my bunny is this.
View attachment 53540
If I recall, as long as your bunny has a good grip on the floor, like with the puzzle mats I used in the picture, and a fleece blanket covering bio-degradible as a pillow bed, my rabbit seems to love it. The sides of his hide-away is about two shelves high so he can't jump over them.
Don't they chew those puzzle mats? I'd be afraid of them eating it.

In almost 8 years of having bunnies I have never had them in a cage except when I take them to the groomer. My bunnies are a part of our family and they are free to roam around the house, although I may close off some rooms. They are potty trained so there is rarely an accident. When they were very young I had to shield the electrical cords so they would not be shocked.

In almost 8 years of having bunnies I have never had them in a cage except when I take them to the groomer. My bunnies are a part of our family and they are free to roam around the house, although I may close off some rooms. They are potty trained so there is rarely an accident. When they were very young I had to shield the electrical cords so they would not be shocked.
My house is too big to allow that, and when I did have them out they wreaked havoc on m baseboards... They are litter trained as well. But have to have numerous litter pans as they would never run back to the original to go... but they pretty much have an entire room. They are family here too. Love them alot

Latest posts

Back