Rabbit Cage Smells Awful!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently moved my male elderly rabbit into my bedroom when I found out he had kidney and bladder stones so I could keep a watchful eye on him during this time. Well I have since noticed that his cage just smells terrible! I can't stand the smell and it is causing me great grief as far as that goes. His cage is a 30"x30" wood framed wire cage, it has a vinyl floor liner for his feet, he for the most part uses his litter pan to pee, but tends to poop where he likes. I clean up all the poops everyday and change the littler pan every other day. In the litter pan I use boxo litter, it is a paper type of litter. I picked him up to smell him to see if he was the source of the nasty stench, but he smelled fine and had no sign of a poopy bum. I have know idea what the smell is being caused from but it smells like poop. I wash his vinyl floor too with a mild soap but the smell still remains. If the smell is stuck in the wooden frame of his pen, is there a way to get that smell out rather than building/buying him a brand new cage? Please help!!! I need some advice!

Soak the whole cage in white vinegar for like a hour then soak it in warm water for about another hour. That should get rid of the smell and no, it wont smell like vinegar when its done drying.

Thank-you Ruki!! I will do that today! I would rather have the vinegar smell any day over the smell he is leaving behind lol. I am glad though that the vinegar smell won't be there after it's done drying though :D. Do I put straight white vinegar on it of dilute with water?

Try mixing it half vinegar and half water equally. Do it in the bathtub :) Youll need like 2 gallons white vinegar then

You'll want to be careful soaking the wire if it's plated (galvanized, zinc, nickel, chrome, etc). Vinegar has a tendency to strip plating off the wire and it can eventually rust.
You could use a spray bottle and spray down the wood whilst avoiding getting too much on the wire.

It could be his cecals that are raising a stink.
My buns can clear a room with their stinky cecals. And because they usually consume them....only the stink remains.

I'v done the vinegar soak many time before on cages and never had a problem with it stripping the wires???

Latest posts

Back