Rabbit Cage Smells Awful!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

Nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently moved my male elderly rabbit into my bedroom when I found out he had kidney and bladder stones so I could keep a watchful eye on him during this time. Well I have since noticed that his cage just smells terrible! I can't stand the smell and it is causing me great grief as far as that goes. His cage is a 30"x30" wood framed wire cage, it has a vinyl floor liner for his feet, he for the most part uses his litter pan to pee, but tends to poop where he likes. I clean up all the poops everyday and change the littler pan every other day. In the litter pan I use boxo litter, it is a paper type of litter. I picked him up to smell him to see if he was the source of the nasty stench, but he smelled fine and had no sign of a poopy bum. I have know idea what the smell is being caused from but it smells like poop. I wash his vinyl floor too with a mild soap but the smell still remains. If the smell is stuck in the wooden frame of his pen, is there a way to get that smell out rather than building/buying him a brand new cage? Please help!!! I need some advice!

Ruki

Reaction score
Soak the whole cage in white vinegar for like a hour then soak it in warm water for about another hour. That should get rid of the smell and no, it wont smell like vinegar when its done drying.

Nummy

Reaction score
Thank-you Ruki!! I will do that today! I would rather have the vinegar smell any day over the smell he is leaving behind lol. I am glad though that the vinegar smell won't be there after it's done drying though :D. Do I put straight white vinegar on it of dilute with water?

Ruki

Reaction score
Try mixing it half vinegar and half water equally. Do it in the bathtub :) Youll need like 2 gallons white vinegar then

JimD

Reaction score
You'll want to be careful soaking the wire if it's plated (galvanized, zinc, nickel, chrome, etc). Vinegar has a tendency to strip plating off the wire and it can eventually rust.
You could use a spray bottle and spray down the wood whilst avoiding getting too much on the wire.

It could be his cecals that are raising a stink.
My buns can clear a room with their stinky cecals. And because they usually consume them....only the stink remains.

Ruki

Reaction score
I'v done the vinegar soak many time before on cages and never had a problem with it stripping the wires???