rabbit breeding help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollyjayneee

Reaction score
hello, I want to breed my 2 rabbits, I know hoe to breed them and to put the female with the male and not the other way round etc. but I'm not sure of what age they should be before breeding starts? my buck is a 5mo mix and the vet said his testies are ready whenever and my doe is 5mo dutch but I feel 5 months is too young and have no idea how long I should wait. ( were only having 1 litter and then the buck is getting neutered so they can live together )

At 5 months she can get pregnant and when she'll have babies she'll be 6 months old so she should be fine. You can breed them in evening for 10 minutes then repeat this session in the morning just to be sure and neuter your buck immediately after that so you will have to keep him separated from her for another month but I'd keep him separately for about six weeks after she gives birth after the babies are fully weaned and then would try bonding them.

At 5 months she can get pregnant and when she'll have babies she'll be 6 months old so she should be fine. You can breed them in evening for 10 minutes then repeat this session in the morning just to be sure and neuter your buck immediately after that so you will have to keep him separated from her for another month but I'd keep him separately for about six weeks after she gives birth after the babies are fully weaned and then would try bonding them.

thank you! I'm going to breed them next month so they should be around 6mo as I'm on holiday soon and don't want to do it when I'm not there ( there being looked after b y my mum ) so they should be okay? also how do I know if she's pregnant after they breed? do I take her to the vet?

thank you! I'm going to breed them next month so they should be around 6mo as I'm on holiday soon and don't want to do it when I'm not there ( there being looked after b y my mum ) so they should be okay? also how do I know if she's pregnant after they breed? do I take her to the vet?
Well if you will have two breeding sessions in evening and following morning and you will see them mating you can be quite sure she's pregnant and will have babies in 28-36 days usually on day 31. But I've read on here someone had two breeding sessions and the doe didn't get pregnant I think that was pretty rare but you can keep them together for a few days or a week if she will tolerate him. After she gets pregnant she doesn't want to be mounted anymore and can even harm buck if she gets annoyed by his attempts to mate her. Since gestation period is only about one month you don't need to go to vets to confirm pregnancy you can try palpating her stomach after a week or more you maybe will feel like little grapes in there but if you have no experience it's not so easy, vet could palpate when she's pregnant after one week after breeding if you want to pay extra and give her a little stress you can take her to vets or just wait and see.

Well if you will have two breeding sessions in evening and following morning and you will see them mating you can be quite sure she's pregnant and will have babies in 28-36 days usually on day 31. But I've read on here someone had two breeding sessions and the doe didn't get pregnant I think that was pretty rare but you can keep them together for a few days or a week if she will tolerate him. After she gets pregnant she doesn't want to be mounted anymore and can even harm buck if she gets annoyed by his attempts to mate her. Since gestation period is only about one month you don't need to go to vets to confirm pregnancy you can try palpating her stomach after a week or more you maybe will feel like little grapes in there but if you have no experience it's not so easy, vet could palpate when she's pregnant after one week after breeding if you want to pay extra and give her a little stress you can take her to vets or just wait and see.

I will probably just wait it out then, I will get him neutered after she's had her litter thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Back