Rabbit Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting my rabbit, Maple, a friend. She is already spayed and is taken care of very well. I keep her company as much as I can but I want her to have a friend for when I can’t be there.

I wanted to know if it would be okay to get another rabbit younger than her.

Would we have to get a rabbit that was her age/older or could we get a younger one that hasn’t been neutered/spayed yet?

If we got a younger rabbit I would neuter them once they got old enough.
I just wanted to know the best options.

Thank you! :)

You wouldn't want her friend to be a baby, or unaltered at all. If you have any rabbit rescues near you, that's a good place to start looking.

The reason it isn't advised to get a young (unaltered) rabbit is that there is the very real risk that they won't bond once the younger one is fixed. It is the riskiest way to attempt to find a compatible bondmate for your rabbit. I can't count how many times we've heard the same scenario here on RO-- "what happened!? my baby rabbit was getting along so well with the other rabbit. Now all they do is fight."

The best way to find a compatible bondmate is to introduce your female to other fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Females are particularly territorial, so bringing a new rabbit home to a female rabbit is more likely to be problematic. Read up here for how to find a potential companion for your rabbit and how to go about it.

Latest posts

Back