Rabbit bonding, femal rabbit keeps biting the smaller male eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandor

Reaction score
Hello Rabbit owners, I have a 1 year old spayed female rabbit and i ve decided that i will get her a partner , a young 2 month old male rabbit he isnt neutred yet but he will be as soon an as possible
I ve started to bond them in my bath tube and the first day went awful but the second day they were grooming themself and in went really well they even groomed each other but in day 7 the female rabbit started to groom the smaller rabbit and keep licking and I think biting his eyes,and she keept going after his eyes as soon as a put them down the older female rabbit is just going after the smaller male rabbit eyes.Any tips what this behaviour means.
I ve attached some videos

She's grooming him, though it looks like she's doing it a little too enthusiastically and maybe nipping the skin a little while she's grooming. Grooming is a good sign, but there's not really any way for you to stop her from doing too much of it like she is. She thinks she's doing a good thing and helping him. The other bunny really needs to be giving her the cues that she's being too rough with her grooming. Problem is he's still a baby and seems to be a little nervous about her, so she's probably not going to take a hint and stop.

If he has any excessive eye discharge getting the fur wet around his eyes, that could be why she's doing the excessive grooming, especially if the fur at the corner of the eyes is sticky or wet at all. It also means he could have an eye issue that you should have your vet take a look at. Runny eyes isn't normal.

At this age, he's on the verge of getting his hormones in, and once that happens he's most likely going to start chasing and pestering her to mate, which is likely to upset her and could result in a fight eventually breaking out. It would be better to just keep them separate until he's old enough your vet will neuter him, then reattempt bonding after waiting at least 4 weeks for the hormones to fade. Unless he's not exhibiting hormonal behavior before and after the neuter, then rebonding can be done right away, after he's had a week to heal post surgery.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back