Rabbit Bald Spot Scab

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michy316

Reaction score
Hello! I was petting my lionhead rabbit when I noticed that she has a bald spot on her upper back with red scabs. She lives with our other bunny. I looked at him and I didn't see any spots similar to this. What could this be? Is she yanking her fur hard or could it be a bug bite? I do notice that they're grooming a lot lately and I've been sweeping a lot of fur.

Attachments

• DF504CDE-CD4D-4005-AB02-C53A384A87D2.jpeg
    DF504CDE-CD4D-4005-AB02-C53A384A87D2.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 2
Wounds and pulled fur on the middle of the upper back when there are other rabbits with the affected rabbit, are most often going to be due to mounting behavior. That is usually where the other rabbit will grab hold with their teeth to mate. How old are your rabbits and are either spayed/neutered?

Wounds and pulled fur on the middle of the upper back when there are other rabbits with the affected rabbit, are most often going to be due to mounting behavior. That is usually where the other rabbit will grab hold with their teeth to mate. How old are your rabbits and are either spayed/neutered?
They're both spayed/neutered. She's almost two years and he's around eight months.

Is it possible they are not truly bonded at this point? The fur sweeping could be coming from small/big fights, in which case you may need to separate them and go through some bonding sessions to better solidify their bond.

I would monitor them to see if there is any dominance humping going on. If there is, that would be your answer to the scabs and pulled out fur.

An alternative explanation is that your male is still hormonal due to not actually being neutered(if you weren't the one who took him in and can confirm it) or a botched neuter(which has happened with a member on here). In which case, you can take a look to make sure both testicles are actually gone. Or with a possibly botched neuter you would need to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

Latest posts

Back