Rabbit ate through a live wire. Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
My sister keeps leaving live wires in her room even after I specifically told her not to. today Brownie got to one of them. he's gobbling down his lettuce right now, so I might not need to worry about burns. What are the potential injuries I need to worry about?
EDIT: it wasn't a charger cable it was direct wall power

Ingesting metal. That's definitely one thing to fearful of. Definitely keep an eye on him and make sure his behavior doesn't change. There's a chance of ingesting the metal from the wiring which can be dangerous. Plus the plastic. Try to get your sister to either bunny proof her room or keep her bedroom door shut to avoid this happening again.

Risks:
- electric shock or electrocution causing cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, neurological issues, seizures, burns, internal injuries to organs, tissue, and muscle
- ingestion of foreign bodies causing GI problems, including gut perforation if metal wiring is ingested
- possible fire hazard if bare wires are exposed and a flame gets sparked(happened years ago with an RO member who's rabbit unknowingly chewed through an exposed cord)

So it's extremely important to be vigilant about there being no exposed electric cords, for your rabbits safety as well as yours and all the people in your household.

http://bunnyproof.com/stop-bunny-chewing-electrical-cables.html

Risks:
- electric shock or electrocution causing cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, neurological issues, seizures, burns, internal injuries to organs, tissue, and muscle
- ingestion of foreign bodies causing GI problems, including gut perforation if metal wiring is ingested
- possible fire hazard if bare wires are exposed and a flame gets sparked(happened years ago with an RO member who's rabbit unknowingly chewed through an exposed cord)

So it's extremely important to be vigilant about there being no exposed electric cords, for your rabbits safety as well as yours and all the people in your household.

http://bunnyproof.com/stop-bunny-chewing-electrical-cables.html
I’ll make sure he’s pooping

My mum told me a story about a kitten she had when she was little and it bit the end of some wire and she saw it get really badly electrocuted. The cat was alive afterwards but they took it to the vet and its mouth was burnt really bad. It had to have surgery to scrape away the burnt stuff and it had to keep going back as it's tongue and flesh was going dead. She said it made a full recovery but maybe check his mouth for any burns.

Latest posts

Back