Rabbit ate something he’s not supposed to

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Alfie and Skyes mummy, Oct 13, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Oct 13, 2019 #1

Alfie and Skyes mummy

Alfie and Skyes mummy

Alfie and Skyes mummy

my rabbit ate a little bit of my real techniques beauty sponge? It was roughly half of the flat edge edges, little nibbles all the way around it. It was also dry:(

2. Oct 13, 2019 #2

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

Make sure too keep an eye on your bunny and get it to eat a lot of hay. Hopefully it will pass through the gut and not cause any trouble.

But if your bunny stop eating and pressing the stomach towards floor. Not really finding a comfortable way to lay down. It means your bunny it’s in pain and best would getting your bunny to the veterinarian.

So they can make the stomach start again and give pain medication to handle the pain.

Often nothing will happen, Myself had many things chewed through by my bunnies. Only one of them got GI-stasis and had to stay at the veterinarian.

That was after eating a flip flop. He’s okay, still the food loving bunny but he stays far away from shoes since that time.

I hope nothing will happen and it will just pass. But keep an extra eye on your bunny for a few days (1-2 days).

Imbrium and Maki_p29 like this.
  3. Oct 15, 2019 #3

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

Usually they chew stuff up into very tiny bits that can pass through their digestive system without issue. Like Hermelin said, encourage a lot of hay eating (maybe even cut back on pellets for a day or two so more hay is eaten); also make sure your rabbit is drinking lots of fresh water. The long fibers in the hay combined with the liquid from water pushes indigestible stuff like hair (from grooming) or bits of things that got chewed on through their system but if there's not enough fiber and/or moisture, things can get stuck and form a blockage.

Make sure appetite stays normal and watch to make sure that your rabbit is pooping a normal amount. If either eating or pooping stops, it's time for a vet (8-12 hours without eating and/or pooping is a life-threatening medical emergency for rabbits).

4. Oct 27, 2019 #4

Chief221

Chief221

Chief221

My rabbit ate a tobacco leaf from the brand white owl. I’m very cautious and frightened if he will be ok vets are closed today near me but I will be taking him tomorrow do you guys think he will be ok?

5. Oct 28, 2019 #5

Niomi

Niomi

Niomi

You can try calling ASPCA Poison Animal Control at 888-426-4435.

6. Oct 28, 2019 #6

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

This is info for cats/dogs, but symptoms would be along the same lines for rabbits:

Rabbits are physically unable to vomit something that upsets their stomach, so aside from potential nicotine poisoning, you should also watch out for signs of an upset stomach or the onset of GI stasis. Watch for reduced (or absent) appetite, reduced (or absent) pooping, looking hunched up or uncomfortable (or laying weird like their tummy might hurt), that sort of thing. 8-12 hours without eating, drinking and/or pooping is a medical emergency.

If he's still normal a few hours after ingesting it, he should be just fine... though it never hurts to encourage extra hay eating/water drinking to help get something that a rabbit shouldn't have eaten out of their system.

Niomi and Alyssa and Bugs♡ like this.
  7. Oct 28, 2019 #7

Chief221

Chief221

Chief221

It’s been almost 20 hours and he is acting perfectly fine. He’s eating normally his hay and leafy greens, he’s drinking water, and he’s urinating and pooping normally. He’s even moving around a lot more today do you guys think I should still be worried or enough time has passed that he should be fine from now on?

Imbrium and Alyssa and Bugs♡ like this.
  8. Oct 28, 2019 #8

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

He should be fine if he hasn't shown any signs of illness yet.

ThePelletnator and Imbrium like this.
  9. Oct 29, 2019 #9

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

Rabbits' digestive tract has to be constantly moving (that's why GI stasis is such a big threat) and stuff goes from getting in their mouth to out the other end pretty quickly (with the exception of a hairball or other blockage that gets stuck, of course ><). Anything he ate 20 hours ago is either long gone without issue or there would be symptoms to indicate a problem - at this point, he's in the clear... unless he's naughty enough to get into something else, heh.