Rabbit ate dog food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So we are getting a room in our basement finished and my bunny, Hermione is living in another room down there for now. Now the guy working on the basement decided it was a good idea to give Hermione dog food, DOG FOOD. I don’t even know where he got dog food, we don’t even have a dog. My mom informed me of it this morning. I know dog food is really bad for them but I can’t really monitor Hermione since the guy working on the basement wants privacy. He will be leaving today so I’ll be able to check on her later but I’m just worried about her and i have no idea how much he fed Hermione but my mom said Hermione ate it and Hermione will eat anything so I’m just really worried about her cause I know dog food is really bad for rabbits and can cause permanent damage.

I think the permanent damage comes from more long-term consumption of foods high is proteins, fats and carbs, such as dog food. If she just had a little, she should be fine, but pay close attention to her eating, drinking, peeing and pooping when you can get back to her! If she seems not interested in food, or isn't pooping, the dog food may have caused some stomach upset, or could possibly lead to stasis. She should pass it just fine, though. If she shows signs of stasis, I would give her some simethicone (infant gas drops) and take her to the vet. At least in this case, you know what it was she ate that is most likely causing issues.

I'm not a vet, but I think she should be fine!

I know your situation is probably different than mine, but no one is going to come into my house and tell me where I can and can't go; I don't care what they're doing.

Dog food isn't that bad. There are lots of accounts of people realizing their rabbit eats the dogs or cats food, but with no ill effect. Long term it might be an issue due the high protein levels, but if they get to it once - normally rabbits don't eat much of something new.

So, keep an eye on her and keep up your daily routine.

Btw, anyone doing something like that would have lost any right for privacy while working in my basement, that sounds like a scene from the movie The Money Pit :D

The guy working on the basement wants PRIVACY, are you kidding me! That in itself would be a red flag to me. I hope you don't keep anything valuable down there. Presuming this is your house, he has no rights to privacy or anything. You(accompanied with a trusted adult) or you mom(parents) have the right to check on this guy anytime you want, as well as tell him to not disturb the rabbit or feed her anything. He's a worker in your home doing a job, not an entitled guest. Though if it's just a matter of making sure no kids get in the way so no one gets hurt, that I could understand.

As for your rabbit, just make sure she eats lots of her hay and doesn't get unusually lethargic and stop eating, then she should be fine. A few pieces usually won't do any harm, except in buns with really sensitive tummy's. It's when an excess is eaten, that problems can occur.

Not sure exactly what you have going on down there, but just in case, if there is anything that involves fiberglass insulation, drywall sanding, painting, or dust or fumes of any kind, I would strongly suggest you bring your rabbit up out of there until the work is done. The dust or fumes from any of that, wouldn't be good for your rabbit to be inhaling.

It was a false alarm, the guy told my mom he fed her “dog food” but he thought it was dog food cause the rabbit pellets container has a picture of a dog on it. She’s fine I just took away the pellets cause he gave her a big bowl of them.

Latest posts

Back