Rabbit and Dog together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnO

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a lop X girl approaching one year old and will soon be getting her a male companion. We also have a sprocker spaniel puppy who recently joined the home, who is energetic and keen to play.

Most of the time they leave each other be quite happily. Rabbit is sleeping, flopping, relaxing either in the house (they have the run of the ground floor) or the garden (they can free roam there too), often quite close to the dog. Since she's been spayed a few months ago now she's been less affectionate with us and less energetic (she used to run circuits round the room).

She's relaxed most of the time but occasionally spooks if the dog gets too close.

Questions:
1- is the dog losing interest and them ignoring one another the best we can hope for?
2- any advice on helping them get along?
3- when should we add a male companion? Now or later? (I would use a third party bonding service and re-introduce everyone when back home after a deep clean, so might help now?)
4- advice on where to find a suitable companion; our local rescue only really has bonded pairs and we don't want 3 rabbits!

hello!

1. That sounds like the best way but @Blue eyes might have another way

2. Introducing Dog to Rabbit this page on Blue eyes’ website should help

3. You can get another rabbit whenever you feel comfortable to

4. Do some looking around at rescues near you. As they’ll likely not only have bonded pairs but single rabbits also. You can also look on Facebook to see if there are any private rescues near you.

Rather than taking a "see what happens" approach with the dog, it's better to teach your dog how to behave around the rabbit(s). If they aren't taught, then they are more likely to see the rabbit as another puppy. This could be disastrous. Puppies 'play' with other puppies in a way that mimics predator behavior (play fighting, nipping, tumbling). That would need to be avoided. Ignoring isn't necessarily a good thing if it isn't combined with that training.

A dog needs to be able to accept the rabbit as an individual member of the "family pack" (that includes humans). They know what they can and cannot do with humans because we correct them if they behave improperly towards us. The same thing applies with the rabbit except we are the ones that have to teach the dog what is acceptable behavior with the rabbit.

I go over this in more detail at the link that @Apollo’s Slave provided.

I'd also let any rabbit rescue know that 1. you already have a rabbit and are seeking a bondmate (--then they should be able to at least steer you in the right direction), and 2. you have a dog (--because they typically will know if they have any rabbits that are definitely not suitable for a home with a dog).

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I had 3 dogs (granted, they were lurchers and therefore specifically bred to chase after small quick things), and they grew up very happily with 2 cats of ours. The 5 of them would all snuggle up together in front of the fire, sleep on each other etc, but as soon as one of the cats made any sudden movement then it was as though the dogs' natural instincts took over and they would chase them. The cats gave as good as they got and swiped at the dogs, but would a rabbit be able to defend itself in a similar manner?

Especially with a puppy, they get so exciteable. I really wouldn't risk it.

Latest posts

Back