Rabbit aggression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyBun25

Reaction score
So recently, we brought home a baby bunny. He's about 8 weeks old and we decided to get a new bunny because our rabbit now had a bonded buddy that passed away. She did not take his passing well and started acting different. Hid from me, she didn't do much moving around and only stayed on one spot ( she is freeroam) and was just not at all acting like herself so we got her a little buddy to eventually bond to her when she seems ready. So after a couple months, we brought home our little boy Luffy... well...The moment we brought the new bunny home, her mood has changed for the worst. Very aggressive towards me and the new rabbit (I have to wash my hands to even pet her.) She went over to the new bunnies enclosure and literally tried to attack him threw the bars. She ended up biting his ear and injuring him. She seems to be food aggressive? When it is time to feed her, and she can tell when it's time, she will start circling my feet and grunting or making a strange noise and lunges at my hand or at the pile of hay like she hasn't ate in years (also she is spayed. I don't think the circling and grunting is a mating dance) she just seems even more.miserable than before and I don't know what to do. She use to be my best friend, and now I'm just scared she's gonna bite me and she has a couple times even when I don't handle the new rabbit.
We have since moved the new rabbit to a spot she can not reach but what else can I do. I want my sweet baby girl back but with the passing of her bonded friend and now a new bunny in the house, it seems to have changed her. I don't wanna be scared of her.

Image below of my little girl Sora.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1579026295644.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579026295644.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14
Also, since he is a baby, he has not yet been neutered. Could that be why she's acting this way?

It could be that she’s just really territorial at the moment.
Could you put Luffy in a room that she can’t go into. Give him a blanket for a few days and then give it to Sora (I love the name by the way). So that she can smell him.
I’m not the best at this sort of thing but that’s what I’d try...

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

I have been doing the blanket thing. And also putting some of his litter into her litter box for the smell. Doesn't seem to be helping. They are both in the same room. I moved the baby where she can't reach them but I think ur right. I might have to.move him into a room where she can't smell him or see him until he's neutered. I'm hoping after he's neutered, things will be easier.

Luffy is now almost 10 weeks old. We got him when he was 8 weeks old. And we named Luffy from a anime we became a big fan of called One Piece. Lol Luffy was the main character. And Sora is names after the game Kingdom hearts! Sora is the main character and even tho it's a boy in the game, I loved the name and it's unisex so it became her name. I absolutely love the name we are very anime and game themed with our names lol. The previous boy that passed away was named Renji from a anime called bleach.

Luffy is now almost 10 weeks old. We got him when he was 8 weeks old. And we named Luffy from a anime we became a big fan of called One Piece. Lol Luffy was the main character. And Sora is names after the game Kingdom hearts! Sora is the main character and even tho it's a boy in the game, I loved the name and it's unisex so it became her name. I absolutely love the name we are very anime and game themed with our names lol. The previous boy that passed away was named Renji from a anime called bleach.
I thought so! I watched a few episodes of one piece with my older brother (who is addicted to anime)! That’s so cool!

You are the first person to recognise the names! Haha that makes me happy I fell in love with anime names and how unique they are so they became a think for the rabbits lol.
But I think your right. I'm going to.move him into another room and really hope she goes back to normal. She is the sweetest bun and when she ended up biting me, I ugly cried because I have always relied on her comfort for my depression and since she had changed, it's been hard. It's like loosing a friend temporarily. That's why I reached out for help.

https://rabbit.org/faq-aggression/

http://www.mybunny.org/info/spaying-and-neutering/

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/

A couple extra links ^ on aggressive behavior -- and please see the excellent info in the link by -- www.therabbithouse.com

Nodding my head all the time wrt RO comments on unique personalities. Territorial !!

Any health concerns going on with Sora? How strong was the bond between spayed Sora and her partner who passed away? Was Sora food territorial before with her bonded husbun?

I understand (that) when you've got a free roam bunny and then introduce a new unaltered bun the territorial defenses can heighten.

She was never aggressive about anything. And the bond between her and her previous friend was very strong. It was a love at first sight bond. Bonding sessions only lasted about 4 days and then they were bonded. Never fought. No aggression. She was actually the submissive one towards him so I thought it was be a easy bond towards the new bunny and her. Man was I wrong. I'm only trying to do what's best for her but feels like I'm doing everything wrong since now she's always grumpy and biting. I tried not going too fast. I let her grieve and waited a couple months before getting a new bunny. Not long enough? They haven't been physically together yet because of how she's acting outside of the enclosure. I have never seen her act that way. Does this mean she won't accept the new bunny? I have so many questions. I'm sorry. Just worried.

Also, no health concerns. She never acted like this previous to the new bun getting to the house. She is healthy, eating and pooping like normal.

Hello Mistybun!
I love the kingdom hearts and anime names!
Keeping Sora away from Luffy for now sounds like the wisest thing to do. I am still relatively new to understanding rabbit behavior but it sounds like she is very stressed and she is still morning the loss of her friend, She is most likely feeling very vulnerable and her aggression is stemming from that.
I know it might sound kind of silly but my thoughts are for you to sit down and talk to Sora and let her know you understand that she misses her friend and that you are sad too, and that you are not trying to replace her friend but give her a new one. now this sounds kinda hippie ish but some times talking to them and opening up to them helps your energy you put off to change and she can sense that, its kind of like when you are scared or nervous she will sense it and become the same way. some times we can be putting off an energy that we don't realize but animals feel it. I think she needs to know everything is ok even though her friend is gone.
when you try and be with her bring treats and sprinkle them around on the floor and kind of start the bonding all over and rebuild trust.
watch her body language and respect her space, don't pet her unless she shows you that she wants you too.
If it keeps up you might want to take her to the vet and see if there is anything you can give her to help with stress.

@BunnyBunMama your comment is absolutely the sweetest. Ever since the first bite she did, I admit I have been nervous around her. I enter into her room and she has been immediately thumping at me, doing crazy circles and grunting. Lunging at my hand when giving food and been very demanding. But now that I think of it, maybe she's jealous that I hold and pet the new bunny? But I really think once I move Luffy to a different location, I'll spend as much time on the floor as I can. We use to have that kind of bond where I would sit, she would give bunny kisses, do bunny purring, put her head down for me to pet her. We use to be super close and it took a while to gain that trust from her and maybe getting a new bunny, she feels left out, territorial and just upset about everything going on. So I'm going to defiantly take your advise and try spending extra time with her. It's impossible to spend time with her while Luffy is in the same room but I'm going to move him asap and hopefully gain her trust again. Your absolutely right. And I guess I might be a hippy because I sing to her, tell her about my day and once her bonded hubby died, I sat on the floor with her to comfort and give treats. We were so close, when she became distant and started running away from me and hiding constantly, I got very concerned and got the idea of a new bunny. Didn't know it would turn out this way at all. But I'ma.do everything I can to fix it.
Also, so glad everyone loves their names!!!

@BunnyBunMama your comment is absolutely the sweetest. Ever since the first bite she did, I admit I have been nervous around her. I enter into her room and she has been immediately thumping at me, doing crazy circles and grunting. Lunging at my hand when giving food and been very demanding. But now that I think of it, maybe she's jealous that I hold and pet the new bunny? But I really think once I move Luffy to a different location, I'll spend as much time on the floor as I can. We use to have that kind of bond where I would sit, she would give bunny kisses, do bunny purring, put her head down for me to pet her. We use to be super close and it took a while to gain that trust from her and maybe getting a new bunny, she feels left out, territorial and just upset about everything going on. So I'm going to defiantly take your advise and try spending extra time with her. It's impossible to spend time with her while Luffy is in the same room but I'm going to move him asap and hopefully gain her trust again. Your absolutely right. And I guess I might be a hippy because I sing to her, tell her about my day and once her bonded hubby died, I sat on the floor with her to comfort and give treats. We were so close, when she became distant and started running away from me and hiding constantly, I got very concerned and got the idea of a new bunny. Didn't know it would turn out this way at all. But I'ma.do everything I can to fix it.
Also, so glad everyone loves their names!!!

Sounds like a great new beginning, we all have different ways of processing loss, and life changes in general. Don't worry i'm sure you guys will get that bond back, it just might take some trial error and time.

So recently, we brought home a baby bunny. He's about 8 weeks old and we decided to get a new bunny because our rabbit now had a bonded buddy that passed away. She did not take his passing well and started acting different. Hid from me, she didn't do much moving around and only stayed on one spot ( she is freeroam) and was just not at all acting like herself so we got her a little buddy to eventually bond to her when she seems ready. So after a couple months, we brought home our little boy Luffy... well...The moment we brought the new bunny home, her mood has changed for the worst. Very aggressive towards me and the new rabbit (I have to wash my hands to even pet her.) She went over to the new bunnies enclosure and literally tried to attack him threw the bars. She ended up biting his ear and injuring him. She seems to be food aggressive? When it is time to feed her, and she can tell when it's time, she will start circling my feet and grunting or making a strange noise and lunges at my hand or at the pile of hay like she hasn't ate in years (also she is spayed. I don't think the circling and grunting is a mating dance) she just seems even more.miserable than before and I don't know what to do. She use to be my best friend, and now I'm just scared she's gonna bite me and she has a couple times even when I don't handle the new rabbit.
We have since moved the new rabbit to a spot she can not reach but what else can I do. I want my sweet baby girl back but with the passing of her bonded friend and now a new bunny in the house, it seems to have changed her. I don't wanna be scared of her.

Image below of my little girl Sora.
This is not uncommon, as she's a free-roam it means that all your house is HER territory and now she takes this new rabbit as an invader so naturally she is trying to protect her territory. So for first introduction it would be best to find neutral territory where she's never been before that could be bathroom or maybe your friend's home or you can create a small territory you can use a small playpen and cover floor and panels with new (for her) blankets or something, cardboard etc. You could also take them together for a ride in a small travel box (also new for her), or place it on your washer/dryer on high cycle (stress bonding), there are more techniques. But for now she already hates him so best in your situation would be separate them completely for a month or two so she can completely forget him, also wash your hands and change clothes every time after you hold him before you come to her so she can't smell him. I use 5% white vinegar in a spray bottle I just spray myself and my hands between holding my rabbits who are extra envious, I always wear same home clothes when with my rabbits as some of them love to dig me and bite holes in my fur that's their way to show that they love me and groom me taking care of my fur. So I have an easy-to-clean sweatshirts and I just spray them with vinegar to neutralise smell of other rabbits.

So, after a month or two (or maybe wait until he is neutered and one more month so he calms down) and then prepare everything for bonding, find neutral place, get ski gloves and dust pan, do some serious research on bonding and - good luck! You can also prepare her limiting her territory gradually, over two months and before starting bonding keep her caged for a few days, let her out for a few hours but not free-roam but using an x-pen attached to her cage. If you limit her territory too abruptly she might take it as punishment so gradually limit to a couple rooms then to one room then cage+x-pen then cage, be nice to her, put her into a travel carrier and take for a ride, give her some snacks talk to her nicely so she understands that it's not punishment just she needs to spend some time in this tiny space, then you can put her into a travel carrier for an hour while cleaning or something, so she knows it's not because she was bad but just new normal. Same with the baby, don't give him too much freedom and keep his territory limited. After they are fully bonded you will have to prepare new place for them where they will stay together remove their smells from all toys and litter trays etc with vinegar, and again they will stay together under your supervising for a week or so. Well, it will depend on your situation maybe they will bond easily, maybe it will take a few weeks or months. During separation time they should completely forget each other, thankfully rabbits have very short memory so you can introduce them to each other as completely new rabbits.

That is what I would do in your situation, but there may be more ways to bond them

Last edited:
First of all i just want to tell you that rabbit takes time to create a bond, maybe a good bond with its owner. But when they create a bond at last, they try to stay close to you. For example, now a days my bunny has started pooping and peeing around me. Though i don't like that every time but I know that my bunny has started loving me and it feels safe around me.
When you brought another bunny, your old bunny didn't like that. Well, if I tell you that it is being angry with you just for that, it may hear funny but it is true. Rabbits also take time to make a good bond with another rabbit. So, all I can suggest you that give your rabbits time. Never show much affection to one and to another less. Give them same amount of food, time and love.

Latest posts

Back