Rabbit aggression during bonding attempts help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaimeh761

Reaction score
Ugh you guys. So I have been trying to bond my rabbit with another we adopted. Things were very promising. They were sharing the same space. Then they had a fight. We separated them via cage barrier because they kept trying to go back at it. After they cooled off things were promising and they started touching noses again and were interested in each other. We still decided to keep them separated over night. Then this morning i was awoken by the sound of all hell breaking loose. Our new bunny somehow got out of her pen (over it or under it not sure) and they started fighting again. And it was a bad one. Bites were exchanged. Fur everywhere. Im feeling hopeless amd lost. I separated them again (but in the same room) and im monitoring them. I know that her getting out prompted a bit of a turf war, but my established rabbit (male) is clearly showing signs of agression and territory issues now. Im not sure what next steps to take? I plan on contacting the rescue i got the new rabbit from. I dont know if im doing this all wrong? Is this bond a complete bust? Is it at all salvagable? We just adore the new bunny. Shes so sweet and wonderful with our daughter. We will be devastated if we have to return her. Any help appreciated!

If the Male hasn't been in a spot in your house try bonding there, it is new territory for them both so it would be territorial. Try putting food in with them to distract for a little, if they fight over the food remove it right away. There is a chance thematic they are just not compatible but I hope not. Good luck and keep us updated

After such a bad fight, it is often recommended to totally separate them -- so they cannot see or even smell the other from a distance. The idea behind this is that they totally forget that they don't like each other. This usually means 2 weeks apart.

But speak with the rescue first for sure so they are aware that you are having difficulties with the bond. They may have other advice as well or methods that they prefer you try first. It's important to keep them in the loop, especially if these two decide to not bond. Then you will have the option to exchange her if need be.

Don't feel bad if it just doesn't work out. That doesn't mean you did something wrong. Sometimes 2 rabbits simply refuse to get along. Some rabbits can overcome a bad fight. Others can't. My personal opinion is that if a bond is unusually difficult and riddled with frequent fights, then even if the bond eventually succeeds it will always be fragile and more prone to break.

Latest posts

Back