Rabbit about to wee awareness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Not sure if any one has any tips on when you have your rabbit on your knee being cuddled stroked and relaxed If there is any tell tale sign they want to use toilet before they spray on you!

If your rabbit is just having a pee accident, often they may give you a nip or dig at your clothes to get your attention that they want down, which could be if they want to pee. If you are actually getting sprayed and not just a puddle from an accident, that is usually a territorial, irritation, or hormonal thing. Which if hormonal would require a spay/neuter. If your bun is already fixed, with territorial, maybe some positive reinforcement training may help. If it's because your bun is irritated, don't do whatever is irritating your bun.

Then there are the possibilities of it being a health issue if your bun seems to be loosing bladder control, and/or is dribbling urine and getting a wet bum. Which would mean an appt. with a knowledgeable rabbit vet. A bun could possibly also let loose a puddle if completely relaxed, though not common.

It was a one off he did when with me ages ago he usually goes in his tray in his cage. I have a doe she’s never done it yet but wondered what to look out for.

If they're about to spray they usually sniff something intently then raise their tail before they spray. If they just need to pee they give more warning. They usually will nip or dig to ask to be let back. My rabbits usually tense up, spread their feet a bit apart and take a couple steps back before they go as well.

Latest posts

Back