Rabbit Abnormal Poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alicorn

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my baby 4 months old Netherlands Dwarf bunny for a month now and recently i have been finding these small little bits of dark black poop in her cage. She's still behaving normally, still eating and drinking her hay, pellets and water and still being very active, running around the house when we let her out. Can you let me know if this is a bad sign and if I need to bring her to a vet? It looks like it may be cecotropes but there is a lot more of this compared to the usual hard poo. Thanks very much.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390103173.150827.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390103322.066566.jpg

Alicorn

Those do look like they might be bits of leftover cecals. But that would be an awful lot if there are more than the fecal poop. Do you find any whole cecal clusters or are they all scattered like that? Could you maybe take a picture of them next to some regular fecal poop as well?
http://imgur.com/a/5N4lD

What is your buns diet like: type and amount of pellets, hay, veggies, treats? Have you introduced any new foods, or changed any of her food recently? Any changes or things that could be stressing her?

Definitely looks like cecotropes, and bunnies that age can leave a lot behind sometimes... but there should still be *way* more fecal poops than cecals. I second JBun's questions - the answers might help us figure out what's going on.

Thanks a lot JBun and Imbroum. Maybe i'm just panicking because of paranoia, this is actually on a second level of her cage which she sometimes spends time on.

She's been having lots of fresh hay, muesli-style pellets, vitamins in her water. So these are cecals right? I was panicking if these were abnormal poo and not cecotropes.

Muesli isn't really the best for rabbits, and can often cause cecal issues. I would suggest transitioning over to a plain rabbit pellet, over a couple weeks. This will give your bun time to slowly get used to the new food.

If the leftover cecals continue or they start to get mushy and unformed or semiformed, then you will need to make some dietary changes. But if you change pellets, you may find that will clear it all up.

Latest posts

Back