Rabbit 4-H Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
Hey all! I need some help with a few rabbit 4-H questions.

1. Name one thing that will cause a doe to become infertile permaently.

2.Do bucks mature faster than does? ( belive tht is a no)

3.Lagomorphs are divided into two major familes, what are they?

4. Name some reasons that rabbit meat is a nutritionally sound meat.

Thanks for all your help! I need these answered today!!

Amanda

1, Spaying? :p

2, I thought they did mature faster because bucks can breed far before a female can agewise.

No idea about the others though. why not go researching on google?

Thanks Flashy. I have tried looking on google for some but haven't yet found the answers. I will go look again though.

Ok it is Bucks that mature faster. I forgot. :)
As for the spaying one I don't think that would be one, it has to be like a disease or something that causes the doe to become permanently infertile.

Yeh, that was a joke, hence the face :D It was all I had to offer.

Spaying, certaincancers, etc

Yes, that do. Bucks become sexually mature much faster than does do.

I've heard this, but don't remember it.

It's healthier than chicken, low in fat, high in protien. It has a higher protein content than most meats, One of the lowest fat contents, fewer calories than any other meat. It also contains les moisture, which means you don't purchase water. It also has a low cholesterol content and is easy to digest.

I just checked my raising rabbits book-
Rabbit meat is the HIGHEST rank in protein content.
It is also the LOWEST in fat content.
The LOWEST in moisture content.
And has the fewest colories per pound.

1. uterine infections

2. bucks mature faster than does

3. leporidae and ochotonidae (sp?)

4. rabbit meat is very high in protein and low in fact. It is also generally a bland meat that even people (and dogs) that have problems digesting meat proteins can usually consume without complaint.

Why do uterine infections make them infertile?

After a uterine infection the walls of the uterus often thicken- making impregnation and the ability to carry a litter full term more difficult. Not to mention they can be lethal if not treated.

Do you know what? I'm incredibly thick, i read what you wrote and copied it brilliantly, but all the time was thinking urinary tract infection. DUH! I understand now :D Thanks.

I'm not certain on this but maybe someone else can confirm/deny... I think I have read somewhere that does can become infertile if they aren't bred by a certain age. has anyone else heard this?

Crystal, I'm not sure they would be infertile. They just can't be bred because their pubic (or dif bone) bones are closed and it would be hard for them to have babies as well as get pregnant, but they still could get pregnant.

okay, that is interesting... thanks for that. I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert! so that doesn't count as infertile? it's just something that is effectively similar I guess?

Does can become infertile if they are not bred by a certain age. Age varies, dependent on the breed though, so it's hard to say specifically. A feed too low in protein can also cause infertility.

Bucks DO mature faster than females. Bucks can become successful breeders as soon as their testicles descend, around 4 months of age. On the other hand, does (depending on breed) should be about 6-8 months old before they are bred for the first time.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here...?

High in protein, low in fat, like previously mentioned.

:)

Bunnymom,K wrote:
1. uterine infections

2. bucks mature faster than does

3. leporidae and ochotonidae (sp?)

4. rabbit meat is very high in protein and low in fact. It is also generally a bland meat that even people (and dogs) that have problems digesting meat proteins can usually consume without complaint.
:yeahthat:

The two families of Lagomorphs:

Leporidae (rabbits and hares) and Ochotonidae (pikas).

crystal wrote:
okay, that is interesting... thanks for that. I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert! so that doesn't count as infertile? it's just something that is effectively similar I guess?
Yeah pretty much :D. I'm not an expert either so who knows, but I think I'm pretty close.:p

Thanks OakRidgeRabbits.

I'm pretty sure what Erika and a few others said about the familes is true but yesterday I was looking in a fit and show manual thingy and I found this:

What order and family are rabbits in? Leagomorpha (order) and Leporidae (family).
What genera in the Leporidae are rabbits in? Oryctolagus.

Latest posts

Back