Quick help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan Madoka

Reaction score
So I am getting a guinea pig today I think! Can my free roam bun be in the same room since he will be in a cage? I know it's a goofy question but I want to make sure I'm doing it right! Thank you ♥️♥️♥️🐰

You don't want your guinea pig and rabbit to be able to be in direct contact (or nose-to-nose through cage bars). If the piggie cage is raised off the floor and bunny is on the floor, then that is fine.

You also won't want your piggie running loose on the same floor that your rabbit roams -- even if the rabbit is put away temporarily. You don't want one to be where the other has been.

You don't want your guinea pig and rabbit to be able to be in direct contact (or nose-to-nose through cage bars). If the piggie cage is raised off the floor and bunny is on the floor, then that is fine.

You also won't want your piggie running loose on the same floor that your rabbit roams -- even if the rabbit is put away temporarily. You don't want one to be where the other has been.
Thank you so much! I seriously would have never guessed! I want to be able to snuggle with the piggie sometimes in my bed , should I not do that then or could I use a fresh blanket or towel? My bun jumps on the bed everyday but not as much as he used to because I made him a cute fairytale fortress he loves lol

I would maybe have a separate "piggie blanket" for that. Rabbits and piggies can each by asymptomatic carriers of disease that is harmful to the other species.

Attachments

• 100_9218lo res.jpg
    100_9218lo res.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 10
I would maybe have a separate "piggie blanket" for that. Rabbits and piggies can each by asymptomatic carriers of disease that is harmful to the other species.
I really appreciate it! I'm kind of wondering if a rat or hamster would be better than, my bun is my world! I just want another cute critter so badly! I dont know what to choose !! Any input?

Depends on how much work you want to put into another critter. I found that cleaning up after a pair of piggies (they should not be kept single) was more work than the rabbits. (Though others on a piggie forum have said they thought the rabbits were more work.) Only some piggies will potty train and mine did not.

Hamsters are super easy to care for but not all of them like to be handled. A syrian hamster (teddy bear hamster) is larger than the dwarf hamsters and tends to be more handle-able.

Rats are by far the most interactive of the critters. They adore attention. They do need plenty of space as well. I'd also suggest taking the time to get them from a reputable breeder. It can make all the difference as they work with all their babies making them very handleable and tame. Rats make great pets but should be in pairs minimally. We started with a pair but then worked up to 4. Having 4 was no more work than 2 and was actually better for the rats themselves. They are so active so if one wants to play and the other does not, the one can go pester the 3rd or 4th one to play instead. Works very well. :)

Attachments

• 100_9889 (2).jpg
    100_9889 (2).jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8
  • collage rats.jpg
    collage rats.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 7
Depends on how much work you want to put into another critter. I found that cleaning up after a pair of piggies (they should not be kept single) was more work than the rabbits. (Though others on a piggie forum have said they thought the rabbits were more work.) Only some piggies will potty train and mine did not.

Hamsters are super easy to care for but not all of them like to be handled. A syrian hamster (teddy bear hamster) is larger than the dwarf hamsters and tends to be more handle-able.

Rats are by far the most interactive of the critters. They adore attention. They do need plenty of space as well. I'd also suggest taking the time to get them from a reputable breeder. It can make all the difference as they work with all their babies making them very handleable and tame. Rats make great pets but should be in pairs minimally. We started with a pair but then worked up to 4. Having 4 was no more work than 2 and was actually better for the rats themselves. They are so active so if one wants to play and the other does not, the one can go pester the 3rd or 4th one to play instead. Works very well. :)
Oh wow thank you for all of the information!! My heart always pulls towards hamsters lol I didn't know guinea pigs should be kept in pairs , I had one growing up but we were attached to each other's hips lol she literally ate next to me and slept next to me and followed me everywhere! Lol sigh this is gunna be a hard choice! Since they will be kept in the same room as the bun, which one would you say has less smell? I dont want my room to be smelling crazy lol as goofy as it sounds. My buns box is cleaned every 2 days, there's like barley any smell at all!

The least smelly (with the least work to keep it that way) would be a hamster. The tiny hamster cages in pet stores are too small. A hamster should have 450 sq inches minimum. Hamstercentral.com has a good forum for info.

You should be able to get close to a week from your rabbit litter box before having any odor (with one rabbit). You can check here for tips on that:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html

Okay thank you!! And yes! My bun hates wood pellets. He loves CAREFRESH which works great! I change it every 2 days sometimes 3 lol I'm the same way with my cats, they get their boxes scooped 2 times a day. I'm just very weird about that stuff. Its kind of an old type thing I guess and just in my routine lol

Okay thank you!! And yes! My bun hates wood pellets. He loves CAREFRESH which works great! I change it every 2 days sometimes 3 lol I'm the same way with my cats, they get their boxes scooped 2 times a day. I'm just very weird about that stuff. Its kind of an old type thing I guess and just in my routine lol
Ocd not old

So I am getting a guinea pig today I think! Can my free roam bun be in the same room since he will be in a cage? I know it's a goofy question but I want to make sure I'm doing it right! Thank you ♥♥♥🐰
i don't know very much but my friends have their bunnies and gineau pigs in the same from when they see eachoter and their like best friends! of course that only like a 2 day thing but with them its fine. i think it'll be ok if they have a little bit of alone time during the day. of course, I'm a newbie and don't expect anything i say to be more than 60% correct..

i don't know very much but my friends have their bunnies and gineau pigs in the same from when they see eachoter and their like best friends! of course that only like a 2 day thing but with them its fine. i think it'll be ok if they have a little bit of alone time during the day. of course, I'm a newbie and don't expect anything i say to be more than 60% correct..
Having rabbits and piggies together is very risky (even with the disease factor aside). A member on here awhile back said she went against the advice of keeping her rabbit and piggie apart because she thought they were best buds. Then one day her rabbit accidentally kicked the guinea pig (just hopping about). The result was broken ribs and internal injuries for the piggie.

Piggies and rabbits also don't speak the same body language which can lead to frustration. A piggie can bother a rabbit by continually trying to lay near him. Or the rabbit may get frustrated if he bows his head for grooming and is consistently ignored. Either could react badly to this continual frustration.

Having rabbits and piggies together is very risky (even with the disease factor aside). A member on here awhile back said she went against the advice of keeping her rabbit and piggie apart because she thought they were best buds. Then one day her rabbit accidentally kicked the guinea pig (just hopping about). The result was broken ribs and internal injuries for the piggie.

Piggies and rabbits also don't speak the same body language which can lead to frustration. A piggie can bother a rabbit by continually trying to lay near him. Or the rabbit may get frustrated if he bows his head for grooming and is consistently ignored. Either could react badly to this continual frustration.

sorry i don't know much....that's just what my friends do when they have to. thank you for correcting me and stopping anyone from getting the wrong idea! I'm gonna keep my mouth shut from now on....

sorry i don't know much....that's just what my friends do when they have to. thank you for correcting me and stopping anyone from getting the wrong idea! I'm gonna keep my mouth shut from now on....
You didn't know, and if you had kept your mouth shut you wouldn't have learned. The way people learn is by asking questions. If you don't ask questions you will never learn, and your rabbit could be harmed! From now on, don't be scared to ask questions! Everyone on here loves helping!
Btw-I have done that so many times, and I still answer questions! It has taught me so much!
Anyway...
Thank you guys I appreciate you both replying! I am going with a hamster! I'll post photos when I get one!
Yay! Reading this made me want a hamster, rat, and guinea pig! Hah, my parents would kill me!

I have a rabbit and two guinea pigs. My bunny is curious about them and they are housed about six feet from each other, but they don't associate with each other. It is better to have pigs in pairs though--mine are brothers I adopted at three weeks of age. I adopted them about two months after I adopted my bunny so they have grown up together.

Latest posts

Back