Quick help- Can rabbits catch CAT FLU?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
It's a long story but we're going to receive a rescued cat today to house temporarily. We are told he has a history of cat flu and has an appointment with his shelter's vet on Tuesday for it. Supposedly it's getting a lot better, but obviously I'm worried the bunnies could catch some remnant of the virus.

Both bunnies are unvaccinated for anything, as they are fully indoor pets. I can't really find any answers online, so was hoping someone here knew - are rabbits vulnerable to cat flu?

Good question, I'm not sure whether they call it cat flu because it only infects cats or because it's just commonly seen in them. A quick call to your Vet will probably answer the question :) I want to say they can't, but really not sure.

I've been told no.

My housemate recently adopted a sphynx cat that had cat flu as a kitten and I did a bit of research before she arrived and also spoke to my vet about it. I believe rabbits can get parasites from cats (such as worms) but I don't believe they can get cat flu. I'd double check with your vet though to be sure.

Ah, it's been clarified he isn't infectious anymore. And he's here! He hasn't felt like leaving his carrier yet, but thats normal I guess! Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back