Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agood066

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1 year old unneutered male rabbit who just lost his much older female companion (who was unable to become pregnant). He seems lonely am I able to put another unneutered male rabbit with him I would get a female but I'm not in the position to deal with babies. He is in a very large enclosure.

Most likely two unneutered males will fight and can neuter each other or kill each other. I've heard stories about unneutered males housed together but they sounded more like fairy tales tbh. Even if you neuter both you should wait 6-8 weeks average (sometimes longer, up to 12 weeks or more) and keep them separately after neutering because they will still be hormonal and will fight.

An intact male will almost definitely fight with your current intact male. They just don't get along.

You may be able to bond him with a spayed female. Spayed females can be found at rabbit rescues. But it would be best to first have your boy neutered. Once he's neutered and has had 8 weeks for his hormones to dissipate, then he can meet some potential fixed females at a rabbit rescue. Otherwise, I'm not sure that a rescue will allow you to introduce an intact rabbit to one of theirs.

The advantage of going through a rescue is that you will save lots in costs. Spaying rabbits is expensive, but the adoption fee for an already fixed female is usually significantly less than the cost of a spay. Plus you get the added advantage of pre-screening for potential compatibility. And the rescue will work with you to ensure you wind up with a compatible match. (Rabbits can be most choosey about what other rabbit they may accept.)

Latest posts

Back