Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Button

Reaction score
Hi all, just some questions i need answers\help with..
1. Is it common for a harlequin to go paralyzed? I had kne before and she had... Just need some hope this wont happen to Jypsy.
2. Any dieases i need to be concered about for harlequins?
3. What would make a good run for her? (Height\dimensions)
4. Ideal weight\size for harlequins?
5. Healthy treats and unhealthy?
6. How to gain trust?
7. What color pattern of harlequin is Jypsy? (See attached picture)
8. Ideal bedding? (She has blankets but her tray is metal so needs some type of bedding.)
9. What to do i use for litter? Type of box and any helpful tips?
10. Ammount of food? What is the poundage\ounces she can have daily of pellets?
Sorry i realize its kind of alot... You dont have to answer all just some! Any answer will be appriciated! (Dont know if that is spelled right?)Snapchat-209686877.jpg

I hope this is helpful!
1. It is not common, I would not be worried.
2. Nope.
3. I think you should move her inside, but if that is not an option a 60 square feet run would be best, but the bigger the better. I would do it a walk-in, so 6' high. See the attached picture for an idea.
4. 6.5-8lbs. is normal.
5. Safe food (fruit is a treat). Unsafe treats would be any store-bought treats.
6. Bonding with your rabbit.
7. She is a black Japanese Harlequin.
8. Is she litter trained? If you litter train her you will not need any store-bought bedding so you can just use towels, blankets, and sheets.
9. See #8. This link has everything you need to know: Litter Training
10. 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets, unlimited timothy, orchard, or meadow hay, and 2-4 cups of veggies daily. See the attached picture for what her diet should be similar to (photo credit: Rabbits Indoors).

Attachments

• 2000x1125.jpg
    2000x1125.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 0
  • simple-illus-of-diet-png_orig.png
    simple-illus-of-diet-png_orig.png
    914.4 KB · Views: 0
1. I don’t think so.

2. Again, I’m not sure but I doubt it.

3. As Mariam+Theo said, the larger the hutch the better. But it would need to be built well. Insulated and keeping harsh weather out.

4. As Mariam+Theo said, 6.5 - 8lbs is good in America. In England 4-7lb is good, I heard.

5. Fruits are safe in small amounts and pellets can be up to 1/4 cup per 5lb of rabbit weight.

6. Id sit on the floor with your rabbit, and ignore her. Let her come up to you. Don’t force her to do anything.

7. As Mariam+Theo said

8. I wouldn’t use bedding in the whole cage if she’s litter trained as it will confuse her in where to use the bathroom. I would use towels, and old sheets.

9. I use wood pellets. With a large, covered cat litter box. There is some controversy on using high sided cat litter boxes but it’s safe as long as the are is well ventilated and the box doesn’t get too dirty.

10. I feed my 5lb rabbit, 1/4 cup of pellets, 1cup of veggies twice a day, and unlimited hay and one small treat a day.

Cute rabbit!

Found this pen online.. I was thinking of using that to cover the sides of her hutch and then attaching my taller pen to it so that she cant get out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-145459.png
    Screenshot_20200405-145459.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 2
I dont have pictures of hers but here is some screenshots of it from ebay. She has a run shes in during the day or shes on the deck to run around on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200406-171852.png
    Screenshot_20200406-171852.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200406-171859.png
    Screenshot_20200406-171859.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 0
Another question... Or maybe a few...
How do i safely pick her up without stressing her out?

She been being teritorial andgrunts and will some what lunge at me ..How do i stop that?

Is it ok to train her wih pellets as motivation? And maybe a slice of apple after?

I would use a towel and place it over her head, and then pick her up. Rabbits generally don’t like being picked up. If she isn’t spayed, the lunging and grunting could be hormonal or territorial behaviour. You just need to bond with her and gain her trust. Take her out of her own territory and into some place she’s never been before, that’ll make it easier to bond with her.
You can train her with pellets.

1. You can put some pellets in a cardboard box or carrier to tempt her into them, and then take her where you need to go.
2. Spaying will help with territorial issues.
3. Pellets work perfectly! No need for a slice of apple after, unless you just want to give her a treat.

Latest posts

Back