Questions, question, I have more questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
First I want to thank everyone who has been answering my questions.

That done here are more:

Potty training..... Blackie did very well yesterday. Today he seems tohave forgotten the litter box. 3 pee accidents later. I am at a loss atwhat I am doing right or doing wrong? I cleaned the pee witha paper towel which I added to the litter box.

Potty training...... Do rabbits poop in the litter box? Blackie poopseverywhere but there? And I might add he is a little pooping machine. Itried putting the pills or whatever they are called in the litter boxwhen I cleaned them up. But as I sit here he has left more prizes forme.

Chewing..... I know he needs to chew to keep his teeth the right size.I have bought chew things shaped like fruits and veggies........ hedidn't even look at them. I have tried wood........he pees on it. Iwant to get some tree branches next but here is my problem. What kindof trees apple, maple or what kind is be? Dried for fresh cutbranches?

Hay........ what is the best for him timothy or alfalfa? If there areother types I don't know of them? Is first cut the best or Second cut?

Fruits and veggies....... can I dehydrate these and give him some each day? Do rabbits eat watermelon if do what about the rind?

I am sure this will not be my last request for HELP. I just want him tobe happy and healthy. I want to do my best at being his mum.

Thanks,

Mary

Hmmmm. the only question I can help you with isthe hay one. I do not know from experience but I have been told timothyhay is better for your rabbit.

Wuv 4rm

loz n ebs n fidget

xoxoxo

Well, I have been a bunny mom for all of a monthand a half LOL. But we are having great success with litter training.We have a large cage with 2 litter boxes. For oneI bought alarge cat litter box and put the litter in the bottom (aspen woodshavings)followed by a thin layer of hay and a big wad of hay in onecorner and their bowl of pellets in the other corner. My buns tend todo most of the pooping while eating. So this keeps most of the poop inthe litter box. They still occasionally leave them here and there. Theyhave always peed in their litter box.Iempty the litter and cleanthe boxout nightly.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be much help with littertraining. But I can help with the sticks. You canuse:apple birchblackberry hazelmaple pearraspberry willow. You wnat to make surethat the are not treated with any type of chemicals.

Fruits and veggies can be dehydrated and given to your babies.Try a little at a time so you don't upset their tummies. Isprinkle some dehydrated papaya on Apollo's pellets in themorning and at night. He also likes the dehydrated pineapple and apple.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.

Tina

There are only a few questions I can answer

1) Put the litter box where he wants to go potty most. Also: Is heina new room? A new place? If so, he will go all over theplace to mark his territory

2) My sister- a vet, says timothy hay is the best

3) Your rabbit may not be ignoring the toys. Do you see teeth marks onthem? He likes them. If he still ignores them give him other differenttypes of things to chew on.

I'm not sure about the fruit....

Blackiesmum wrote:
First I want to thank everyone who has been answering my questions.

That done here are more:

Potty training..... Blackie did very well yesterday. Today he seems tohave forgotten the litter box. 3 pee accidents later. I am at a loss atwhat I am doing right or doing wrong? I cleaned the pee witha paper towel which I added to the litter box.
When first potty training a bun, it does help if itsmells like a potty, adding the pee to the box was on the rightidea. Sometimes if left in to large of an area when pottytraining they don't quite catch on as fast.
Potty training...... Do rabbits poop in the litter box? Blackie poopseverywhere but there? And I might add he is a little pooping machine. Itried putting the pills or whatever they are called in the litter boxwhen I cleaned them up. But as I sit here he has left more prizes forme.
since ther are grazers, rabbits poop as they go, somerabbits will get all their poops in the box some with get about half,and some very few. It varies with each rabbit. Rabbits are generallyconsidered litter trained when they have mastered peeing in the box.
Chewing..... I know he needs to chew to keep his teeth the right size.I have bought chew things shaped like fruits and veggies........ hedidn't even look at them. I have tried wood........he pees on it. Iwant to get some tree branches next but here is my problem. What kindof trees apple, maple or what kind is be? Dried for fresh cutbranches?
Willow and apple are 2 goodones. have you tried any hanging toys(wooden parrot toys)?some buns arebigger chewers than others. I have some who only ever seem to chew foodand hay, their teeth remain perfect, and others who you gotta replaceany wooden toys every month.
Hay........ what is the best for him timothy or alfalfa? Ifthere are other types I don't know of them? Is first cut the best orSecond cut?
Alfalfais rich in protein and calcium, ok for young buns, a bit rich foradults. Timothy is by far the most popular, butthereis sweet meadow hay, oat hay, and a few others outthere.
Fruits and veggies....... can I dehydrate these and givehim some each day? Do rabbits eat watermelon if do what about the rind?
Water mellon is a diuretic, and canlead to soft poop and diarrhea I advise not feedinit
Yesyou can dehydrate foods that you choose to feed your buns,just remember it will taste and smell different so your bun may or maynot like it. aS to how much you give and what opinions vary.I use fruits and veggies as snacks only and not as the regdiet.

When i adopted Luv she has a tree log or branchnot sure what to call it. When that is gone where do i get some morewood from? I dont have a clue.

Cristy

I get it from the trees in the backyard...but mostpet stores sell sticks you can buy... seems like a waste of money whenthe trees are in the backyard for free lol.

Untreated straw baskets are good for chewing,especially if filled with hay. An old phone book is fun for chewing,tearing and just generally destroying ;)I'm too nervous togive regular branches, because of the poisoness possibilities (perhapsunnecesarily nervous) so I give them wooden shims from home depot. Youcan pick up a pack of ten or so for a few dollars. I often tie them tothe side of the cage so it stays in place while they chew it and ifthey close their little eyes they can pretend it's a yummy baseboard.Throwing all of it in a big cardboard box and letting them go crazy cankeep them occupied for awhile.

My rabbits tend to ignore the colored and flavored chew sticks I buy them too. It can be frustrating.

Hi, I have another suggestion forchewing. I have 2 rabbits. One is a big chewer andthe other is not. I bought the colored sticks from the petshop and they were ignored.They bothloved apple branches butI have to find a regularsource. My guy that chews a lot likes somethingcalled lava bytes. I get them from the pet store and they aretriangular shaped. He loves them. Both also like tochew on cardboard boxes. I have a box for them,whichI call the bunny condo and they do construction on itquite often. They also like to dig in the cardboardbox. Hope something here helps. Beckie

Latest posts

Back