Questions for flemish giant owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a very random thought that probably has more to do with the insanity seeping in from lack of sleep...but

I was looking at my avatar...that is the VERY first Orchid I ever bought myself...and I did it on mothers day...I LOVE that pic....sadly I SUCK at getting them to bloom, though I have like 6 of them now :) Least I can keep these alive and green, but how I WISH they would bloom again...

I was also just thinking...

This is a GREAT and informative thread on Flemish, opinions, ideas for them...help points and what not...it would be a shame for it to get lost in the masses...you guys should like...link it, save it to some part of the permant part of RO...maybe even do a thread for like every breed of bunny like this and have it be a whole new area...

I know...(go away and go to bed)...I am I am...

:) :wave::wave:

The first picture is a lousy one (I have better ones uploading) - but it gives you the idea of Nyx's giant dog crate size.

The last two are ones of Mercury I just HAD to throw in...he wanted to come out and play since the girls were playing too...

[align=center]
DSCF0968.jpg

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0993.jpg

More to come later - probably tomorrow!
[/align]

I hope a couple of these pictures show you how big the cage is...even if the floor is horribly dirty right now (due to playtime).

The more I look at these pictures - the more I realize I need to really scrub those walls - I can see where it has been sprayed by rabbits...
[align=center]
Notice how much space the two girls take up - one girl is 11 pounds - one is 12 pounds - and this is only about 1/2 of the cage..?
DSCF0912.jpg

[/align][align=center]I couldn't resist showing off Athena who LOVES this cage even if it isn't hers (yet)....
DSCF0921-1.jpg

[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]As you can tell - the two girls have room to sleep side by side and STILL have room left over.
DSCF0909.jpg

[/align]

Double N wrote:
Oh my gosh! I'm going to be late for work as I've been loving this thread!

And Wabbitmom....I will be PMing you shortly!!

Thank you all for the cage pictures. We have an extra dog cage as our one German Shepherd doesn't use it anymore as he can't go down the stairs. He had a spinal injury this summer, so he stays on the main floor and isn't crated when we leave, like the other beasties!

Now just to convince hubby! I'm not sure if it's going to work, though. I really need to find a show to go to!!
I just want to add this - if you're thinking about getting a flemish giant and you're anywhere near Wabbitdad & Wabbitmom (Dave & Karen) - I'd get one from them the next time they breed their rabbits.

I'm basing my comments on the fact that Nyx came from them and unlike other rabbits who came from breeders and weren't handled a lot (some - but not a lot) - Nyx was used to being held and petted and the only problem with her is...she's been a diva since day one and feels she should be the boss.

She's still learning - or maybe its that she's training us to learn....

Either way - you couldn't go wrong getting a flemish giant from Dave & Karen....if / when they breed again.

lol...my daughter loves seeing pictures of buns and if she notices I am looking she HAS to look...well she has see me watching this thread and see's your posts Peg..and always see's at the bottom your "The bunnies are stealing my Sanity one at a time"...now she walks around saying The bunnies are stealing my sanity....lmao...

Do Flemish babies need the alfalfa pellets and hay like smaller buns? and stop at 6 months too?

How much hay do your Flemish's go through...

What do you Flemish owners out there think of this for a Flemish of any age?

Pointless, useful??

http://www.bunnybale.com/Products.html

The Bunny Bale “Hay Station” is designed for the
free running house Rabbits and Guinea Pigs with
a special focus centered on convenience for the
pet as well as the care-giver. It features a highly
attractive woven basket design, a removable
plastic litter pan, and the handy “snap in snap
out” Feeder Box Kit. The Feeder Station comes
as one complete package with all the features
previously mentioned. It measures about 21
inches in length, 15 inches in width, and is
5 inches deep. Using only one screw the feeder
box mounting bracket can be fastened in three different locations. The base of the “Hay Station” is pre-drilled to accommodate a rear mounting location (as shown in the photo), or either the right end, or the left end depending on your own needs and preference.

Orchid wrote:
Do Flemish babies need the alfalfa pellets and hay like smaller buns? and stop at 6 months too?

How much hay do your Flemish's go through...
Me myself I am doing alfalfa for the first year with oats. Flemmies grow a LOT. I used to and will be starting again giving alfalfa twice a week to everyone again.

To me - that hay station is fine - but unnecessary. I'd rather spend my money on toys for them or salads or whatever....

Then again - if it came with packing paper - they'd LOVE the packing paper to shred...

:D

SweetSassy wrote:
Peg...I love all the pic's. They are just gorgeous! :inlove:
Thanks - I feel like the pictures are so inadequate at catching them as they truly are...which is little brats/big babies (depending upon what they're doing at the moment).

Mercury has been out playing for over 4 hours and I just told him that he needed to go to bed so the girls could come out and play.

Do you know how HARD it is to say "NO..." to a 12 pound rabbit that spreads his ears way apart and BEGS you to give him a "few more minutes"????

Especially when he comes over and nudges you for pets at the same time?

I finally locked him up and the girls are now having playtime....

I tried to have a hay station of my own in the livingroom, and it got turned into another litter pan. My boy seems to like his food on the floor, as when I put in fresh hay, he spreads it out to pick out the "good bits", same thing with pellets, when he wants to eat them, he digs them out of his bowl.

I try to keep things neet and tidy, but no such luck.

I LOVE the pictures of the big ol' bunny feet! So so cute!

So I got hubby to go to the show with me that's coming up at the end of the month! Hey...it's a step!!

I'm hoping that maybe when he sees how big they actually are, he might reconsider. I mean, come on! Two of our little dogs weigh 11 and 13 pounds!

Double N wrote:
I LOVE the pictures of the big ol' bunny feet! So so cute!

So I got hubby to go to the show with me that's coming up at the end of the month! Hey...it's a step!!

I'm hoping that maybe when he sees how big they actually are, he might reconsider. I mean, come on! Two of our little dogs weigh 11 and 13 pounds!
I love ulterior motives!!! Jenn u rock!!!!:biggrin2:

Double N.....is that a Chinese Crested???

I thought about getting one of those a couple of years ago because of all my allergies...

We never did (we went bunny) but I always thought they looked rather cool..

Orchid wrote:
Double N.....is that a Chinese Crested???
Why yes it is. That is our PoGo. He's a superstar. No really! He's going to be in a book! I'll start a thread later about my dogs if you'd like. Right now, I have to get the car loaded up so I can go set up for my craft show tomorrow! The night before a show is just utter chaos!!!

Orchid wrote:
was wondering about that, double chin area? Is that more a female thing?
its a dewlap most females get it if they breed, or overweight. and males can get it if their overweight.

Latest posts

Back