Questions for flemish giant owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flemish Giant bunnies!

You could fill pages and pages and still only touch the tip of the iceberg in describing them. Let's just say...their personalities are as big as the rest of them (Or, in the case of juvenile Flemmies, WAY bigger than the restof them!)

I will describe ours in the order in which we aquired our Flemmies.

Velvet: Blue Doe. This is a girl with an attitude! She has beenknown to nip and bite. And she doesn't even feel guilty about it! We acquired her when she was 3 months old, and she had been handled daily, but she has always wanted EVERYONE to know she's the boss.

She has always enjoyed attention...as long as you respect her cage. She can be very cage aggressive. The only time she wasn't was when she had babies! Backward, I know. Motherhood definitely mellowed this Diva.

When our 15 year old daughter fawns over her, saying "What a beautiful bunner you are! Your ears are so pretty and long, and your fur is so beautiful, etc, etc...", you can just see her head swelling. She preens herself, and poses.

We found out the hard way...the only time this girl is very lovey-dovey, is when she doesn't feel good. She was such a mama's bunny when she had an eye infection. She was so mellow and wanted to snuggle. While we enjoyed it...we knew that wasn't truly "her". The first time she nipped my arm after getting her anitbiotics for the eye infection, we knew she was feeling like herself again!

When we hold her in a trance position, we can hold and give ear rubs to this blue bunny for an hour.

Velvetoutabout.jpg

Velvet3-9-08.jpg

Coming in the next post...Barney and Lily

TinysMom wrote:
Orchid wrote:
How would you make the plastic bottom flooring slide proof?

Do you find this cage to be the best bet for a flemish, or is it best bet for a flemish breeder?
They seem to adjust to the plastic flooring - but I can always toss more hay in there.

When Tiny was caged (which wasn't for long) - he had a cage the size of Sophia's and it seemed to be just fine for him. He was free-roaming as long as I was home and got locked up at night and when we left the house. Eventually - when we say he wouldn't be destructive - he became pretty much free-roaming.

I'm still working on my plans for the rabbitry barn. I think what I want to do is to make wooden bases (with wheels) to place the cages on and that way in case there is a fire - I can roll them out of the barn.

I'm probably going to use the giant cages for the girls - I may use them for the boys too - and then use the XLarge for litters that are weaning and the large cages for individuals that need their own cage - something like that. I do know that the mamas with litters will have NIC panels around their cage for playtime several hours per day (they will be on the bottom level and the bucks on top).

The thing is - the giant cages are $100 each or maybe a bit more - I have to check. So I need to buy them one at a time and move rabbits in them as I can (like one every month or every two weeks).

I hope that helps!

I LOVE Montana's spot....I wish I could do that for several of mine.

That seems like a super smart idea....

Fire is a scary quick moving monster...

wallice wrote:
I adopted a neutered male flemmie from a sheter about 4 weeks ago. I had previously had a mini-lop named Cosmo, and though she had a huge personality on her, she had always been very affectionate with me, giving me bunny kisses all the time and always being close at all times.
My new bun Wallice is 7(ish) months right now, and the shelter staff don't know what his life was like before they got him, so I don't know if he had a rough start to life or not. Hes *mostly* wonderful, except for a few bad habits. Hes excellent with his litter habits, and is not very destructive outside of the cage, with the exception of one poor defenseless laptop cable. He comes for pets, and will sometimes cuddle into me for a while, but mostly he will just leave and either binky around like crazy for do an epic bunny flop for a long time and have a snooze. I find he sleeps and flops a lot more and for longer than my mini-lop did.
His bad habts however kidna suck, and I'm trying very hard to correct them. If something happens that he doesn't like, he uses his mouth a little too quickly, and will bite. He doesn't like to be picked up, and will nip to be put down, and once he was falling off the couch, so I helped him back up and got a bite that is still a big bruise on my arm. He also nips to be pet if I don't do it soon enough, but hes getting better with it and will now mostly headbutt me instead of nipping right away.
I feel that all of his bad behaviours can be corrected with time, and he is still pretty new to me and his surroundings. I think he had a rough start in life (and was found wandering around on a farm, and was very underweight) so this probably accounts for his lack of social grace, but hes comming around.
All in all though, hes great, and is getting pretty affectionate with my roommates and I, will play with his rattle with me, and come to me for some bunny lovin.
I hope this helps, and I can keep writing to you to let you know how my experiance is changing the longer he is here. I love him to death though, and love people's reactions to my giant bunny, especially when I tell them hes got more growing to do!

Thanks for sharing about Wallice...sucks he had a bad start...but I am he ended up with you and is coming around!

I would love to hear more about Wallace as you can!

JadeIcing wrote:
100_7557.jpg

Montanas hall.

Oh my good gosh that looks like a play ground palace! May I ask what all those things are?

That hide box? The blocks? and with Tiger? Do flemish not tear up stuffies?

What kind of fence off is that?

Fallow-7 weeks when i brought him home, not nuetered
-he was very affectionate when i first got him and then with time he became shyer and shyer. his brother (who i dont have anymore) was very outgoing and loved a quick pet before dashing off.
-came from a breeder
-it took Fallow about 3 weeks to be comfortable. he still wont tolerate a lot but something if im reading or drawing hell jump in bed or lay next to me demanding attention.
the only time he has ever let me hold him was when nail clippin or when i am sad and cuddlin him...he let me hold him for thirty minutes just cryin into his fur and he licked me a few times...hes a gentle soul and a HUGE pushover :) and a very lazy boy.

Orchid wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
100_7557.jpg

Montanas hall.

Oh my good gosh that looks like a play ground palace! May I ask what all those things are?

That hide box? The blocks? and with Tiger? Do flemish not tear up stuffies?

What kind of fence off is that?

The box is from somewhere online. The blocks are kids toy I bought made out of cardboard. Some bunnies do chew stuffies others no.

The gate is part of an xpen I took apart.

Peg, I love reading your threads - stories. Thanks for sharing. I think it's the cutest thing that Zeus sleeps with you. You have a awesome relationship with all your Flemish's. :)

SweetSassy wrote:
Peg, I love reading your threads - stories. Thanks for sharing. I think it's the cutest thing that Zeus sleeps with you. You have a awesome relationship with all your Flemish's. :)
Thanks - I think it is because in many ways I think of them not as pets but as my "children". Unfortunately - I tend to spoil them too much - but they bring me such joy that I just can't begin to describe it.

There are times like today when I'm ready to scream - but then I remind myself of all the good things they bring into my life.

I've had many wonderful rabbits over my life... but I got the first Flemish Giant (from a breeder) when my daughter was 4 years old. She named him Angus McGyver (her favorite show at the time). He was a Sandy buck that grew to about 15 lbs. He tolerated my daughter dressing him up in "baby clothes" and pushing him in the stroller. He loved the attention! I'd never met a rabbit quite like this! I was totally smitten. McGyver was with us for almost 8 years. When he passed, my daughter was upset. I was devastated... had to have another one like him... well, I looked for over a year. Couldn't find another Flemish.

Finally found a woman breeder from Upstate New York that had a 2 year old Blue doe for sale... I had never seen SUCH a beautiful color! She was GORGEOUS. I named her Penelope. As I was leaving, she casually mentioned that she had tried to breed her two weeks earlier... but she was pretty sure it didn't take. But "just in case"... pack her cage with hay for a nest... Sure enough, two weeks later, Penelope gave me 6 beautiful blue babies. OK, I was in love, totally in love. I promised myself I'd never be without Flemish, ever again.

Penelope was never as snugly as McGyver, but she had her own personality and presence. And almostevery Flemish I've had the pleasure of living with since then (12 years ago) was truly a pleasure, in their own way. (In 17 years, I've only had one trulymean Flemish.) I've had boys that would sleep in my arms and girls that insisted on delivering their babies into my hands. Some like their head rubbed, some like their ears rubbed,some don't like to be touched here or there... but you get to know your rabbits and their likes and dislikes (as with any rabbit of any breed).

When people say Flemish are the Gentle Giants, they are referring to the general disposition of the breed. No, not all of them will be super affectionate or super gentle... they are entitled to have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies... but (IMHO) they are fabulous rabbits to share your life with and well worth all the effort we put into them.

BlueGiants wrote:
I've had many wonderful rabbits over my life... but I got the first Flemish Giant (from a breeder) when my daughter was 4 years old. She named him Angus McGyver (her favorite show at the time). He was a Sandy buck that grew to about 15 lbs. He tolerated my daughter dressing him up in "baby clothes" and pushing him in the stroller. He loved the attention! I'd never met a rabbit quite like this! I was totally smitten. McGyver was with us for almost 8 years. When he passed, my daughter was upset. I was devastated... had to have another one like him... well, I looked for over a year. Couldn't find another Flemish.

Finally found a woman breeder from Upstate New York that had a 2 year old Blue doe for sale... I had never seen SUCH a beautiful color! She was GORGEOUS. I named her Penelope. As I was leaving, she casually mentioned that she had tried to breed her two weeks earlier... but she was pretty sure it didn't take. But "just in case"... pack her cage with hay for a nest... Sure enough, two weeks later, Penelope gave me 6 beautiful blue babies. OK, I was in love, totally in love. I promised myself I'd never be without Flemish, ever again.

Penelope was never as snugly as McGyver, but she had her own personality and presence. And almostevery Flemish I've had the pleasure of living with since then (12 years ago) was truly a pleasure, in their own way. (In 17 years, I've only had one trulymean Flemish.) I've had boys that would sleep in my arms and girls that insisted on delivering their babies into my hands. Some like their head rubbed, some like their ears rubbed,some don't like to be touched here or there... but you get to know your rabbits and their likes and dislikes (as with any rabbit of any breed).

When people say Flemish are the Gentle Giants, they are referring to the general disposition of the breed. No, not all of them will be super affectionate or super gentle... they are entitled to have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies... but (IMHO) they are fabulous rabbits to share your life with and well worth all the effort we put into them.

What a wonderful story! and thanks for sharing it with us...must of been one heckof a bun to allow your daughter to play dress up!!

What shock and a heck of a way to get you into breeding!!

I have to say I like the blue, steel and the sandy colored ones with random colored patches....very pretty..

BlueGiants wrote:
McGyver was with us for almost 8 years.

I promised myself I'd never be without Flemish, ever again.

Wow - 8 years was a long time for a flemish giant - how did you manage that?

Like you - I've promised myself to never be without a flemish again either....I can't take the loneliness.

I keep asking myself - why get attached to a rabbit that has a good chance of only living 5 years (compared to a different breed) - and then I remind myself that I'd rather have 1 day with a flemmie - than 1 day without one....and I have to take life day by day.

Flemmies are only known to live for 5 years?
I thought that went up with spay and neuter? Is that not so for Flems?

Orchid wrote:
Flemmies (as an average) do not have as long of a life span as some of the smaller breeds of rabbits. That isn't to say that they can't live longer - after all - Cathy's first one lived for 8 years.

I think it is partly due to their size - it can put a strain on their heart - particularly if they get too big.

But that doesn't mean that flemmies can't live longer - I just heard once that was the "average" life span - somewhere - I forget where.

Zeus is a flemish mix and when he went to see the vet she felt he could easily live to be as old as 7 or 8 or even older based on his care and stuff because he's not huge at all.

TinysMom wrote:
Orchid wrote:
Flemmies (as an average) do not have as long of a life span as some of the smaller breeds of rabbits. That isn't to say that they can't live longer - after all - Cathy's first one lived for 8 years.

I think it is partly due to their size - it can put a strain on their heart - particularly if they get too big.

But that doesn't mean that flemmies can't live longer - I just heard once that was the "average" life span - somewhere - I forget where.

Zeus is a flemish mix and when he went to see the vet she felt he could easily live to be as old as 7 or 8 or even older based on his care and stuff because he's not huge at all.

I see...

Does that have part to do with the diet you feed Zues?

It is much different then the small buns?

What do you guys feed your flemmies?

I thought I'd be nice....I thought that I'd get Sophia something nice to have in her cage (Nyx has the other half in hers and the others will get one next week probably).....

I mean - she's a big girl - she might like something more comfortable to lay on than the cage - right?

[align=center]
DSCF0865-1.jpg

DSCF0864-1.jpg
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Those aren't food pellets you're seeing there....[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]By the way - what you're seeing in her food bowl is her pellets, with the topper of sunflower seeds, oatmeal, calf manna and I forget what else. I mix the topper all together so some nights she might get more sunflower seeds and another night she might wind up with more oatmeal. Oh - I know - there's also some wheat germ in there for the vitamins in it. I'm trying to prepare them for upcoming shows and wow - are their coats looking nice.
[/align]

Uh oh! Sophia is a Naughty girl!

I changed my mind....this is Lil' Blue, daughter of Velvet:

DSCN1153-1.jpg

We lost her in a tragic accident a few weeks ago. :tears2:

Despite being born with a splayed leg, this little bunny did not let it slow her down. She loved to run and play with her "cousins" (the litter of black flemmies that were 2 weeks older than her.) She was very sweet, and very much a mama's girl...she was still in the cage with Velvet at almost 12 weeks of age, and they were like a bonded pair.

Oh my gosh! I'm going to be late for work as I've been loving this thread!

And Wabbitmom....I will be PMing you shortly!!

Thank you all for the cage pictures. We have an extra dog cage as our one German Shepherd doesn't use it anymore as he can't go down the stairs. He had a spinal injury this summer, so he stays on the main floor and isn't crated when we leave, like the other beasties!

Now just to convince hubby! I'm not sure if it's going to work, though. I really need to find a show to go to!!

Orchid wrote:
What a wonderful story! and thanks for sharing it with us...must of been one heckof a bun to allow your daughter to play dress up!!

What shock and a heck of a way to get you into breeding!!

I have to say I like the blue, steel and the sandy colored ones with random colored patches....very pretty..

Flemish come in 7 recognized colors, Black, Blue, Fawn, Light Gray, Sandy, Steel and White. ("Ones with random colored patches" is not a recognized purebred Flemish, since they don't come with spots).

People that are dedicated to the Flemish, breed them to improve them, and try to adhere to the Breed Standard. There are some people that mix them with other breeds to get "spots" and other colors... but that tends to affect the size, type and temperment, besides messing up the color.

Orchid wrote:

If you compare to dogs, Great Danes and St Bernards do not live as long as Miniature poodles or Terriers. Larger animals tend to have shorted life spans. But as Peg said, any day with a Flemish Giant is better than a day without one.

I tell people, on average they live 5-7 years. The oldest Flemish I ever met was almost9. But not the norm. Spaying and neutering helps.

Flemish Giants (and all their idiosyncrosies) appeal to certain people, just as Netherland Dwarfs (or any other breed) appeals to others. Do the research and make sure you can accomodate the breed you want. Not just size, but personality and care levels. Flemish are big "couch potatoes"... they are not going to run around and binkyas much asa Dutch or a Mini Rex... but Flemish eat more (and poop BIGGER! LOL!). And there is certainly the "OMG! Factor" with Flemish... (you know, answering questions like "What do you feed that thing?" and "Where does a rabbit that big sleep?"... oh yeah, and "Why did you feed it so much?" and "Why did you let it get so big?"... Let it...?)

I checked on Sophia this morning to see how she liked her new bedding since she'd had it all night.

She was obviously in her usual lazy morning mood....

[align=center]
DSCF0871-1.jpg

[/align][align=left]I think she was proud of herself because she'd folded up her bedding when she was done with it - after all - we're supposed to "make" our beds...right?
[/align]
[align=center]
DSCF0866-1.jpg

[/align]
[align=left]But then I unfolded her bedding to see what she'd used it for...
[/align]
[align=center]
DSCF0868.jpg

[/align]
Somehow - I think she's always gonna want to sleep in her litterbox (even though she's too big for it almost).

Latest posts

Back