Questions about rabbit and kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
I didn't realize but one of my holland lop buns was pregnant. She hasn't shown any signs of pregnancy, she was a little aggressive but she hasn't ate a lot. Barely 1/3 cup of pellets a day and I fed her 1/3 cup last night and she hasn't finished that. Usually my does eat a lot but it's been very warm the past few days (over 90 degrees F)

So she must of had them sometime late last night/early this morning. She didn't pull any fur, one baby was squished and long and dead and one is alive. There is a black string connected to it's tummy and it looks like a big ball of blood or something but it's covered in the bedding. Should I cut this string? What is it? I've never seen this.

She is a new mom and since she didn't pull fur is it likely she will neglect it and not feed it? Or do some first time moms not pull fur?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the umbilical cord and she didn't finish her job of cleaning up. She may or may not take care of it. I had a first timer start to make a nest but then mess it up and eat all the hay. She did this over and over. She had her two on the wire, never pulled fur til a day or two later. I didn't take any chances and put them with another doe. I'll give her another chance when the weather cools down.

Keep your eye on it, you should be checking 2x daily anyway to make sure baby has a fat milk belly and is doing alright. First time mommas sometimes have a hard time figuring it out, and some take to it like they've been doing it their whole lives lol!

If momma doesn't feed the baby, you can have another momma adopt, try to supplement or hold momma while baby feeds.

Hopefully she comes around, she may have been taken by surprise when she kindled, and wasn't prepared...even then, I have a doe who doesn't pull until after her babies are out, then she builds her giant nest.

thanks ! the umbilical cord is still on the baby should I cut it off? it's still alive this morning and I think she's feeding it but I'm not positive.

Last edited:
It should dry up and fall off but if you cut it don't do it close to the baby, then put some antibiotic cream on it. Newborns will last about 48 hrs without being fed. She should feed it by tonight so be sure to check it in the morning. If it doesn't look fed you'll need to intervene because waiting too long the kit will become too weak to suck.

I just checked on the kit and sadly it passed away. I guess she wasn't feeding it, I kinda assumed she was going to neglect it because she didn't pull fur or clean up the kit.

Latest posts

Back