Questions about poop and uneaten cecotropes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
I just went to clean Apollo litter box and he’s got some unusual poops. The first ones are his normal poops and seem to be just fine, the ones in the middle are pretty darks and small and then he has some - what I can assume is cecotropes?
Which is weird because I’ve never seen these before and he usually just eats them. The poops on the right smell horrible and they’re sticky.
He being fed unlimited hay and water 1/4 cup of Timothy pellets and a variety of dark green. He doesn’t seem to be out of his normal, he’s been eating and flipping like everything is fine which is why I was a bit shocked by this.
Does anyone know what I could do to solve this?
Thank you

Attachments

• 52A73120-AAAA-4EAC-A250-1A71F06D1D23.jpeg
    52A73120-AAAA-4EAC-A250-1A71F06D1D23.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 04BB323D-EDE9-48EA-969B-E27AA0DBB46A.jpeg
    04BB323D-EDE9-48EA-969B-E27AA0DBB46A.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi, how much does he drink? Smaller and darker and drier poos can be caused by dehydration, or not eating enough. If he doesn't drink much you can offer some greens soaked in water for a few mins so he gets more fluids with them.

Not sure about sticky ones, looks and sounds like maybe it could be unformed cecals, they smell pretty bad and are mushy pasty. What is his diet I don't remember if he ever had any problems with his stomach before?

Doesn't look too bad to me tbh however if there are plenty of them it can be sign of liver problems or GI problems. Make sure he gets enough hay.

One of my rabbits had those stinky zeppelins when I adopted him he had serious problems then because of his diet, he was on grain treats and mixed flake food also dairy treats. Since we fixed that he never had any problems with that, never missing his cecals either. He's with me about 5 months now.

Last edited:
Thank you. There was two of these small cecals, one of them he ate after I showed it to him and the one in the picture, he sniffed it and ignored it. He’s been eating hay and ate his dinner like normal but I think it is possible that he’s dehydrated because it’s really hot here and for some reason, he’s not drinking a lot. So I’ll definitely soak his greens this morning and see if that helps. He’s not had any problems with his stomach while with me. Aside from when I thought he had gas, but it turns out he didn’t. I’ll keep an eye out for any more and hopefully he’s okay! It’s great that your bunny is doing better! Thank you!

Thank you. There was two of these small cecals, one of them he ate after I showed it to him and the one in the picture, he sniffed it and ignored it. He’s been eating hay and ate his dinner like normal but I think it is possible that he’s dehydrated because it’s really hot here and for some reason, he’s not drinking a lot. So I’ll definitely soak his greens this morning and see if that helps. He’s not had any problems with his stomach while with me. Aside from when I thought he had gas, but it turns out he didn’t. I’ll keep an eye out for any more and hopefully he’s okay! It’s great that your bunny is doing better! Thank you!
Yes, it's hot here, isn't it?! And it's only May 😨 I wouldn't worry too much about the poop at this stage but you might want to reduce the pellets to 1tbsp a day. Has he been eating more fresh food or grass? That can make the poops smaller and darker too.

Thank you! It is definitely hot! I’ll reduce the pellets and see if that helps. I’ve not seen any more cecals this morning. I fed him his wet greens this morning, and he ate them. He’s not being eating any more fresh greens than the 2cups a day. He hasn’t been getting any grass. His poops this morning are larger but still dark. Thank you! I’ll see if there’s an improvement after reducing his pellets a little.

Thank you! It is definitely hot! I’ll reduce the pellets and see if that helps. I’ve not seen any more cecals this morning. I fed him his wet greens this morning, and he ate them. He’s not being eating any more fresh greens than the 2cups a day. He hasn’t been getting any grass. His poops this morning are larger but still dark. Thank you! I’ll see if there’s an improvement after reducing his pellets a little.
イェーイ.
彼の方が良いのは素晴らしいことだ

Just an update because there’s been a good improvement! The ones on the left are today’s and the the single one on the right is from yesterday. I would’ve gotten more but it’s really soft and gross. But there has definitely been a big improvement 😁

Attachments

• BF23A29B-9644-465C-8B08-AC5A1C7DADCE.jpeg
    BF23A29B-9644-465C-8B08-AC5A1C7DADCE.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 5
Just an update because there’s been a good improvement! The ones on the left are today’s and the the single one on the right is from yesterday. I would’ve gotten more but it’s really soft and gross. But there has definitely been a big improvement 😁
Yay!

Latest posts

Back