Questions about my bunny and weed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixxAM

Reaction score
Hello guys!
Before you go on a rant about how marijuana is bad for you, I'm going say this nicely, please, I am not asking about wether or not t is good or not for me, what ever you say, will not change my mind, an wether you think it's bad for me or not will not stop me from smoking. This is purely for my bunny, and wether or not this is good for her.

I have owned a bunny now for about 6 months... Today, Echo (the bunny) and I were in my back yard, and I was smoking around her. She hopped up onto my knee's and stuck her face in my smoke...

She seemed to enjoy it, so I continued with her.
I let her leave and come as she wanted to, but she seemed really chill afterwards, and spent an hour just demanding pets in my lap.
This was weird, as she usually doesn't like to sit still for more than a minute or two, and especially not in my lap.

A friend of mine said that it was really bad for her, as it is for any other animal, but I know a bird who loves to get high, and even will take your joint and fly away with it.

Should I continue to smoke with Echo? Or should I leave her inside next time?

If you believe this is bad, because I know many of you may be against this, please state why.
Saying its bad for everyone is not a reason.

Tl;Dr: Should I smoke with my bunny around?

I know it doesn't hurt dogs, but never feed it to your betta fish. hahaha.
I don't really know about buns, but don't expect to get open minded answers. :p

I've tried a few other sites...
Many mixed awnseres... Kind of the reason why I added the whole 'you can't make me stop, thing...'

I'm here for my bunny, not to be told what to do :3

I've heard it cured cancers in rats, and she seemed to enjoy it...

whitelop wrote:
I know it doesn't hurt dogs, but never feed it to your betta fish. hahaha.
I don't really know about buns, but don't expect to get open minded answers. :p
You have quite the cute bunny!!!

Ok, well you are obviously opening yourself to it asking that kind of thing. So here goes - there are all sorts of things that we, as humans, subject ourselves to willingly, that are in no way good for us. We all have our excuses, including me, but it's a whole different thing for us as adults to make a choice on something that may be bad for us, as opposed to subjecting an innocent child or animal to our choices. Any ingestion or inhalation of any kind of chemical can have unforseen consequences. Rabbits are especially sensitive to things, and can be affected far more dramatically by somenhing, then we can as people. Not only will the rabbit be affected by the drug itself, but also the carcinogens and byproducts of the smoke. And like I said, rabbits are much more sensitive to things then we are. You obviously care about your rabbit and its well being or you wouldn't even be asking this question. Do what's best for your rabbit. I'm pretty sure you already know what that is.

I have no idea if the information I have heard is correct, but maybe it is something to research or look in to.

I have heard that small animals can't get it out of their system. Specifically, someone told me that their exboyfriend got his guinea pig stoned and it basically stayed stoned forever. I would assume that rabbits, though a bit bigger might have the same problem. They may slow down and become lazy and clumsy.

Weed is supposed to eventually make you kind of dumb right? I would think that it would effect small animals more so they would lose brain cells quicker than us.

whitelops, I don't know who told you marijuana was okay for dogs, but marijuana toxicity is a serious problem in dogs.
The problems mostly arise with ingestion (and are only worsened when clients aren't willing to admit what their pet may have had access to, or when they come in high themselves) but I wouldn't consider inhalation safe either.

Here's some information on the effects of marijuana toxicity in (mostly canine) pets. This article is intended for veterinary professionals, but I think it may answer some of your questions as well.
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-dept/small-animal-dept/treating-marijuana-toxicity.aspx

Personally, I'd advise against smoking anything around your pets. I would be especially concerned about the bird as avian species have such sensitive respiratory systems.

Well, I don't judge people if they smoke weed. It's not MY thing, I've only tried it one time in my entire life and it was years ago in Jamaica of all places, haha, but anyway, I don't think it's bad for humans at all. It's a plant. In fact, has anyone person ever died from weed? Heck, it's safer than alcohol or tobacco!!

But anyway, that being said, humans can choose to do it whereas rabbits can't. So I would avoid Echo getting right in your smoke. I don't think her being outside with you is a big deal, but blowing smoke right at her probably isn't good? But that's just a guess. I have no idea........

As far as marijuana being okay for dogs I think it is unless it's eaten, but smoke is okay.

Here is this article. PETA even says it's okay :p

http://gothamist.com/2011/11/10/its_totally_cool_for_your_dog_to_sm.php

honestly, I'd avoid it around the bunny for the simple fact that you can't be sure it won't have negative effects on her. I think smoking outside with her nearby would be ok in general, but I wouldn't let her actually get up in your lap and inhale the smoke.

hallucinogenic drugs can seriously mess with animals' heads, especially young ones. I had some friends in college who told me about a cat one of their friends had at some point... a tiny little white kitten named Tank. one day, they were smoking pot, making shroom tea, etc. when they suddenly got tipped off that the cops were on their way. in their frantic attempts to hide all the evidence, someone grabbed the coffee maker they'd been using to make the tea and the basket slid out onto the floor... little Tank came along and ate a bunch of shroom dregs and was tripping balls for quite a while. apparently, he was never the same... would have random freak-outs and such that seemed to be related to the shroom incident even as an adult.

I guess the main reason I'm opposed to it is that you, as a human, have the capacity to understand what drugs are and what effect they have on you and are able to make an informed decision to use them... animals, on the other hand, have no way of understanding what's going on when they get high.

Weed isn't a hallucinogenic drug.
Now, I would never feed magic mushrooms to any animal, there is a huge difference between weed and mushrooms.

And Christina, I wasn't talking about feeding your dog weed. That would be a waste of weed. I was talking about smoking around your dog. I could imagine that sometimes dogs get a hold of someones stash and eat it and the person freaks out. But think about how many people smoke pot, A LOT and how many people have dogs, A LOT. So how many of those dogs get contact highs from just being in the house with their pot smoking owner? How many dogs live to be in their teens? Something tells me that smoking pot around your animals isn't as bad as everyone thinks.
Jeez, how many times do you hear of people over dosing on pot? Uhh...Never. Its the lesser of all the evils. I think a lot of people are just anti-pot.

I think as long as you're outside with your rabbit and you don't blow the smoke directly into her face. That would maybe be okay. ;) But who knows whats going on when they get high.
Have they not tested the effects of pot on those poor little lab rabbits? How do we not REALLY know what goes on when they're exposed to it.

Marijuana in rabbits can cause issues with the central nervous system and incoordination. With that said, rabbits easily break bones. So if a rabbit is uncoordinated for a period of time, it could cause broken bones. Also, it can cause diarrhea, seizures and sometimes coma. So I would say you probably shouldnt be blowing smoke in your rabbits face.

whitelop wrote:
Weed isn't a hallucinogenic drug.
technically it is, just a very mild one... a far cry from shrooms or acid or something.

personally, I have no issues at all with people smoking pot... and it's certainly a hell of a lot safer than other drugs (including many legal ones)... I just don't think it's a particularly good idea to get a clueless animal high.

Don't think "smoke" can be a good thing for any animal--there is a lot more in the "smoke" besides THC, so with the smaller body mass the exposure is much greater to wonderful things like tar. My parents used to smoke like chimneys and I have asthma and COPD now. My father died of heart failure and my mother died of throat cancer a couple of decades less than their parents lived. I've always felt that everyone has the right to do whatever they want as long as it caused no harm to others.

Smoke of any kind is harmful and stressful to animals, period. The rabbit most certainly did not 'enjoy it,' she was drugged.

Rabbits may be confused and quiet under the influence, but they instinctively survive by having sharp senses, it's very uncomfortable by nature to have those senses dulled.

sas :grumpy:

I would not smoke around the rabbit anymore. It isn't good for a child, dog, or any pet to be around smoke. So it can't be good for a rabbit to be around this type of smoke.

Rabbit's have a faster metabolism and much smaller body volume so what is a 'safe' amount for a person could have much more serious effects on a rabbit.

Think about medication, you give much less of the same drug to a baby than an adult, otherwise they OD. Your weight compared to hers - say 60kg for a human and 1kg for a rabbit - that's 60x difference!

I would smoke outside and not whilst she is there.

Second hand smoke is bad, regardless of whether or not marijuana is ok for them. I wouldn't smoke around any animal, regardless of what it was.

It does have medical benefits, but that's when administered correctly, at the correct dosage.

I wouldn't do it simply for the fact the rabbit has no choice or control of it, better to be safe rather then sorry and that goes for smoking anything around them.

Hey guys, I thought I should chip in and say something from experience. My dad has his grow card because he has chronic pain in his back and marijuana is a much safer pain medication than pills. He LOVES rabbits and would never do anything to hurt them or any other animal. He use to have a pet rabbit and when she wasn't a baby anymore he gave her the trimmings of his plants every once in a while (the leaf). It never affected her personality or her coordination. In fact she LOVED the stuff and seemed to be in a better mood after she had a treat of a few marijuana leaves. She was a very healthy rabbit and was well taken care of.

Also, my dad gives Lilly a few leaves every once in a while and she loves it. I don't think there's any harm to it as long as it isn't too much, but a rabbit should never eat the bud part of the plant, just because it's much stronger and you never know what could happen. And just like everyone else is saying, any kind of smoke is bad for any animal, so it's obviously not good for your rabbit.

Sarah, that is actually pretty cool.

I have my card and smoke in place of pills for my BPD. I often too wondered if smoking in my room with my bunnies in it would harm them (they would be on the other side of the room when I did this). But I don't smoke in my room anymore, so I don't have to worry about it now. I felt uncomfortable smoking while they were in here, even if they were a distance away. I would feel the same around my dogs. My friend smokes in the vicinity of her cats. But, I don't.

I would worry about any kind of smoke with rabbits. Their lungs are jut so sensitive. I won't even use traditional cleaning products around them because I worry about the fumes and their breathing, so smoke of any kind is strictly forbidden in my house.

Many years ago I was a vet tech. We had a cat clint come in with lung cancer, probably from her owner's heavy cigarette smoking. It broke my heart that the cat was forced to live with the owner's health choices.

Latest posts

Back