Questions about my bunny and weed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The medical implications are beyond the point.

Humans evolved with smoke, we can tolerate toxic smoke substances up to 1000 times better than other animals (what was effective when we died at 40 avarage anyway, now the implications are somewhat different).
Anyway, natural life span of rabbits are 2-3 years, in human captivity it can be way beyond 10 years. So, , who I am to judge. I raise rabbits for meat, it's part of how I live. If someones rabbit dies zof weed because it's his way to live, can't blame him. But it's not that difficult to protect a rabbit from smoke if someone cares about that, its not that it's going to cripple that bunny instantly. Like many dogs they might go on for a long time, maybe die somewhat prematurely, but so what.

Wow...just wow.

Smoke, any kind of smoke at all, is toxic for rabbits. They have a delicate cardiovascular system. Their respiration is much faster than ours, so they are getting more exposure to the smoke than we are. Even rabbits not exposed to smoke are prone to respiratory issues. Even smoke from a neighborhood fireplace chimney is harmful to outdoor rabbits. So, my advice is, keep her as far away as possible.

Hey so I’m going to address specifically the marijuana itself rather than the smoke.

I live in Canada where we’ve legalized weed for human usage, our medical consensus is that as long as your brain has finished developing, it’s essentially harmless. It has many benefits for pain relief, anxiety relief, and more.

I also work in veterinary and animal care, and so this is not my opinion, this is the medical ruling that I have been taught BOTH by veterinarians and people selling marijuana derivatives FOR PETS.

(That said I don’t do marijuana myself and probably never will—the smoke at least gives me an INSTANT migraine if I get a whiff of it. Thankfully Canadians have been very respectful about not smoking excessively in public. Drugging people without their consent is not okay.)

Marijuana has two primary chemicals that give effects humans enjoy: THC, which is what produces the “high”, and CBD, which provides pain and anxiety relief.

THC is very toxic. Humans are living garbage disposals, and can handle that. Understand, any sort of high is a chemical that has toxic effects interfering with your body and brain functions. Alcohol is a toxin—that’s why your liver filters it out of your blood, because your body goes “hey this is interfering with how we’re supposed to work!!” And tries to make it go away.

There are a TON of things that humans can consume safely that animals cannot, because we aren’t the fastest runners and we don’t have the sharpest teeth and we don’t have the warmest fur but BY GOD are we durable. Onions, peppers, alcohol, opium, there’s a laundry list of toxins that organisms developed to STOP animals from eating them that we voluntarily ingest because we enjoy the feeling of toxins in our body. Humans are living garbage disposals with livers made of STEEL.

THC is one of those things. Since marijuana was legalized vets have been seeing a TON of pets coming in with marijuana overdose—usually dogs, as they ate discarded joints they found on the ground on their walks.

So unilaterally I can say—please do not allow your bunny to breathe in marijuana smoke. The toxic effects breathing smoke has on the lungs aside, the THC that is in the smoke is not good for them, and it would be very easy to overdose. Dogs coming in with marijuana overdose are vomiting excessively in an attempt to get the toxins out of their body—rabbits can’t vomit. Don’t let them breathe the smoke, don’t let them eat the plants, just don’t do it. Not only is the THC toxic in a way their bodies aren’t meant to handle, but they are so small and their metabolism is so fast that per weight, their overdose point will be a LOT higher.

Now! I did mention that people do sell marijuana derivatives for pets. That’s because the second chemical, CBD, is not very toxic at all. It might be a little toxic, we haven’t totally nailed down the exact level of toxicity, but it’s not toxic to a level that is dangerous for (probably most) pets.

(This is a bold new frontier, we can’t say anything with certainty yet.)

And CBD, as you’ll recall, is for pain relief and anxiety. I have seen CBD oil work actual wonders for dogs and cats. I personally know of three different people who are successfully controlling their dog’s seizures with CBD oil. CBD oil has given elderly cats new life as they’re suddenly zooming around like kittens. Dogs that had absolute meltdowns getting into the car or during thunderstorms are calm and relaxed. It’s frankly amazing. The university is doing studies right now with rats that are finding CBD can successfully treat anticipatory nausea in chemo patients.

I had never heard of anyone else who used CBD oil on their rabbit, but when Lahi was diagnosed with an ultra rare malignant cancer that had spreading throughout his body, I brought home a bottle and started using it. He was completely terminal, the cancer was spreading at an alarming rate, at that point the goal was simply to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. I believe it worked—I finally made the decision to euthanize when he began limping (“freedom to express naturally motivated behaviours” is one of the main tenants of animal welfare, so once his movement became hindered I made the decision to not let him decline further) but even in the vet’s office, waiting for him to arrive with the injection, Lahi was grooming and running around and showing no significant signs of pain. At that point, he’d had his toe amputated (from where the main tumour appeared), a tumour removed from his knee, there were tumours in his lungs, lymph nodes, mouth, shoulder, on his face, and surely many others we never found. And he wasn’t in pain.

To sum:

THC: toxic to animals

CBD: not toxic to animals

Marijuana should never be given to animals but if you have an animal in pain or suffering from stress and anxiety, CBD products that have had the THC removed can potentially do a lot of good.

Ah, but, if you do decide to try CBD oil for your rabbit, carefully look at the ingredients list. It’s often suspended in things that rabbits can’t have. Most of the CBD oil I’ve seen intended specifically for pets is suspended in fish oil to try and make it more palatable for cats and dogs. The fish oil is the only thing that makes it “for pets”, as long as it’s just CBD oil it can be used for pets and people. The bottle I used for Lahi had almond oil in it, which wasn’t ideal, but it’s the protein in almonds that is bad for them and oils don’t typically have the source protein. Plus he was very terminal, so I didn’t exactly need to worry about long term effects of a minimal amount of almond oil.

Hello guys!
Before you go on a rant about how marijuana is bad for you, I'm going say this nicely, please, I am not asking about wether or not t is good or not for me, what ever you say, will not change my mind, an wether you think it's bad for me or not will not stop me from smoking. This is purely for my bunny, and wether or not this is good for her.

I have owned a bunny now for about 6 months... Today, Echo (the bunny) and I were in my back yard, and I was smoking around her. She hopped up onto my knee's and stuck her face in my smoke...

She seemed to enjoy it, so I continued with her.
I let her leave and come as she wanted to, but she seemed really chill afterwards, and spent an hour just demanding pets in my lap.
This was weird, as she usually doesn't like to sit still for more than a minute or two, and especially not in my lap.

A friend of mine said that it was really bad for her, as it is for any other animal, but I know a bird who loves to get high, and even will take your joint and fly away with it.

Should I continue to smoke with Echo? Or should I leave her inside next time?

If you believe this is bad, because I know many of you may be against this, please state why.
Saying its bad for everyone is not a reason.

Tl;Dr: Should I smoke with my bunny around?

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]
I have no words for something stupid like that

*sorry, gonna correct myself: MOST highs are the results of toxins interfering with your bodily functions. Cocaine produces a high by mimicking the natural happiness hormones and absolutely FLOODING your brain with HAPPY. So technically that’s not a high caused by toxic interference.

However, your brain doesn’t like being overwhelmed and so starts creating more receptors for the hormone, which means that the same amount of cocaine a second time will not be so overwhelming. It also means the same amount of natural hormones produced will not have as much of an effect—literally doing cocaine lowers the brain’s ability to feel happiness, and if that’s not terrifying I don’t know what is.

Also, limping is obviously a sign of pain but here by “showing signs of pain” we’re looking for hunched posture, ruffled fur, grimacing, as well as lethargy, limited movement... up to the minute the vet administered the sedative, Lahi was BAR (bright alert responsive) and active with normal posture and good coat condition, and so by welfare assessment perspective he was not in significant pain. He was in some pain, because he started limping, and the tumour in his mouth had him avoiding solid foods and I was feeding him mostly through Critical Care... but the pain was not at a level that was significantly impacting his welfare status.

Last edited:
emoji35.png
emoji35.png
emoji35.png

I have no words for something stupid like that
I don’t think that’s really fair. They were asking whether it was safe for the rabbit. Of course, the rabbit probably shouldn’t have been with them which they clearly noticed as they were asking for what was right for their rabbit. If they want to smoke that’s their own self and their responsibility. Honestly, the fact that they came here 7 years ago, by the way, to ask for what they should do tells that they care(d) for the rabbit.

I don’t think that’s really fair. They were asking whether it was safe for the rabbit. Of course, the rabbit probably shouldn’t have been with them which they clearly noticed as they were asking for what was right for their rabbit. If they want to smoke that’s their own self and their responsibility. Honestly, the fact that they came here 7 years ago, by the way, to ask for what they should do tells that they care(d) for the rabbit.

Sorry for my reaction/ response but I think it clear that it isn’t good for any animal and I think they should have taken the rabbit away immediately. We have to protect animals and they also need our protection they would never do such thing in nature

Do you think it's possible that your bun found your vibe suddenly really wonderful when you were stoned with her? And that your observations in that moment were happily enhanced? My guess is that it had little to do with clouds of smoke and everything to do with your chillaxed demeanor. When it comes to second-hand smoke and the idea of a contact-high, my knee-jerk here is that it's not all that effective for humans as a way to get high themselves (you'd have to be in a sealed closet with the smoker to get any effect, really), and I think the costs of smoke inhalation would outweigh the nearly-nill buzz someone, somebun could feasibly experience in that environment. So, my advice is....if you're out in the yard getting baked, let that funny bunny run amok but don't go about blowing smoke in its face. Let that bun enjoy your vibe and the sunshine and grass without irritated lungs, hey.

Latest posts

Back