Questions about my bunny and weed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the issue isn't weed or not, it's smoke of any kind - cigarette, marijuana, car exhaust or fall leaves. Rabbits' lungs are too sensitive to be breathing smoke.

I have no information on rabbits eating the stuff. Given the stories about Alice B. Toklas brownies and so on (I grew up in the 60's), there does appear to be some psychoactive effect from eating marijuana in some quantity for humans. I'd question what that does to rabbits, but I have no direct evidence pro or con.

Sarah, that is actually pretty cool.

I have my card and smoke in place of pills for my BPD. I often too wondered if smoking in my room with my bunnies in it would harm them (they would be on the other side of the room when I did this). But I don't smoke in my room anymore, so I don't have to worry about it now. I felt uncomfortable smoking while they were in here, even if they were a distance away. I would feel the same around my dogs. My friend smokes in the vicinity of her cats. But, I don't.

I thought it was hilarious that my dads rabbit would be in a better mood after she ate some leaf haha ! He said it seemed like she got mad at him if he forgot to give her some too lol

If I ever smoke in my room I always have the window wide open and try to direct the smoke towards the window lol but as long as you aren't blowing it directly in their face and have some ventilation in the room I would think it'd be fine. That's just my opinion though :)

I'd worry about her respiratory system. I know even irritants in the air can cause them to get sick and I wouldn't bet her little body would be as good at a human's at eliminating toxins. Better safe than sorry, and there's definitely a risk.

She isn't directly inhaling the smoke...

She's getting whatever the is left, and she seemed to enjoy it.
I tried to do what you said, and put her down/leave her inside, but she got really mad at me. She even bit me for the first time in a while.
I let her do as she pleased, and she chose smoke.

Then she had a blast running binkies in the falling snow.

She even played in the mud, and her being pure white caused her to look so funny.

Dogs like beer, but that doesn't mean I get them drunk.

It's up to you as a responsible owner to make appropriate health choices to keep your animal safe. The comment that she "chose" has as much validity as if you were to tell me that you allowed a toddler to choose to inhale your smoke... not very valid at all. Both are ignorant creatures that need your protection and for you to keep their best interests at heart.

People in this thread have been very clear about the toxic impact of any smoke on animal lungs.
Up to you to make a mature choice for the sake of your rabbit's health (and the future veterinary costs you will be responsible for).
:/

I have owned a bunny now for about 6 months... Today, Echo (the bunny) and I were in my back yard, and I was smoking around her. She hopped up onto my knee's and stuck her face in my smoke...

She seemed to enjoy it, so I continued with her.
I let her leave and come as she wanted to, but she seemed really chill afterwards, and spent an hour just demanding pets in my lap.
This was weird, as she usually doesn't like to sit still for more than a minute or two, and especially not in my lap.

A friend of mine said that it was really bad for her, as it is for any other animal, but I know a bird who loves to get high, and even will take your joint and fly away with it.

Should I continue to smoke with Echo? Or should I leave her inside next time?

If you believe this is bad, because I know many of you may be against this, please state why.
Saying its bad for everyone is not a reason.

Tl;Dr: Should I smoke with my bunny around?

Sorry but in my opinion if you're blowing any type of smoke in an animals face i consider it poor animal care boarder line abuse,

I am a cannabis user. But I always smoke away from animals. It is dangerous and potentially fatal to many. AS adults we have to see past what an animal may enjoy for the betterment of their health.....

I just wrote a huge reply, & the site logged me out, so I am trying again.

I do not smoke weed, but dont have a problem with people that do. I do however smoke cigarettes. I will smoke the occasional cigarette in the house with the door open or right by a window.

I do not think any type of smoke is a good thing for bunnies or any animal or human for that matter to inhale. Us as humans have the choice to be around "smokers" for the most part anyways.

A little off topic, but along the same lines. Im going to tell you guys what happened to me this past July. I had a house fire & I "had" three bunnies. Two of my bunnies - Kiwi & Papaya were not in the direct line of smoke. They still ingested a ton of smoke, but not as much as my dear little Cookie. Cookie was in a different pen then Kiwi & Papaya because she was just coming 6 months of age, & I was waiting until she was spayed to try & bond the three of them together, or get her a friend if that wasent possible.

The amount of smoke Cookie inhaled was atrocious. When I pulled up her blankets, the carpet was white underneath, & brown where the smoke had traveled. All three got out of the house. I ended up taking them to my vets house- who is also my good friend, & bunny vet. She let me stay there with the bunnies.

I set them all up as normally as I could. I tried to keep their routine the same, playing with them, letting them out to run, feeding, cleaning etc. Kiwi & Papaya settled in quite nicely & quickly. I think because they had each other to snuggle up too, helped a lot. Cookie only had me, & I did spend as much time with her as I possibly could. Plus, my vet friend, would spend time with her too when I couldnt.

Anyways, Cookie never really settled in. I do believe she was tramatized or had PTSS, if thats even possible in bunnies. She was happy to see me & my friend, but was never quite the same bunny she was before. About a week after the fire, I always got up for 9am to feed, clean etc. She ate normally, played, & had pooped normally overnight. No reason for concern I thought. So I showered etc, left the house around 11, & got back around 3pm. She had not moved from where i left her. She had peed herself & was soaked from sitting in it, didnt eat any hay, & there was no poo. I picked her up, she peed on me - which she had NEVER done before. Immediately, I took her upstairs with all my meds on hand (simethicone, cisapride, metacam). My vet & medicated her. I offered critical care (which she loved), no change within the hour, & her breathing was getting very fast, so we rushed her to the clinic (it was a sunday). Took xrays, didnt see anything, so we were going to put her on IV fluids, & take her back home & monitor her for the night to see if that would help. We though she was in stasis. As we were trying to put the IV in, Cookie was literally dying in my arms, gasping for air, & trying to jump from my arms.

We opted to euthanize her on the spot because she was in EXTREME pain. My vet asked me if she could do an autopsy on her to see if she could see what the cause of her death was. I said yes, but didnt stay to watch. It turns out, Cookie had a complete torsion of her stomach. It was completly flipped upside down, & even if we had taken her to the clinic at 3pm when I got home, changes are, she would not have survived the surgery, or if she did, would have died shortly there afterwards. GI surgery on bunnies is very risky, as is any bunny under anesthetic.

My vet said this was probably due to the stress of the fire, smoke she enhaled, & being moved to a new environment.

In any case, im sure the smoke your bunny is inhaling isnt near as much as my little Cookie did, however, my point is that, I do not think any type of smoke for bunnies is good at all.

Sorry for the novel, but just thought I should share my story, on smoke & bunnies.

Hello guys!
Before you go on a rant about how marijuana is bad for you, I'm going say this nicely, please, I am not asking about wether or not t is good or not for me, what ever you say, will not change my mind, an wether you think it's bad for me or not will not stop me from smoking. This is purely for my bunny, and wether or not this is good for her.

I have owned a bunny now for about 6 months... Today, Echo (the bunny) and I were in my back yard, and I was smoking around her. She hopped up onto my knee's and stuck her face in my smoke...

I let her leave and come as she wanted to, but she seemed really chill afterwards, and spent an hour just demanding pets in my lap.
This was weird, as she usually doesn't like to sit still for more than a minute or two, and especially not in my lap.

A friend of mine said that it was really bad for her, as it is for any other animal, but I know a bird who loves to get high, and even will take your joint and fly away with it.

If you believe this is bad, because I know many of you may be against this, please state why.

Lmao I totally think this is safe.. contact high isn’t a thing unless you’re giving her tabocco horrible ciggeratte smell and no edibles a joint in her safe to puff at if she wanted wouldn’t be bad lmao this is old but ya

If she starts acting like this, cut her off:
sunshine.png
(Not my own original work but whoever made it brings a smile to my face every time I see it. TY)

I just wrote a huge reply, & the site logged me out, so I am trying again.

I do not smoke weed, but dont have a problem with people that do. I do however smoke cigarettes. I will smoke the occasional cigarette in the house with the door open or right by a window.

I do not think any type of smoke is a good thing for bunnies or any animal or human for that matter to inhale. Us as humans have the choice to be around "smokers" for the most part anyways.

A little off topic, but along the same lines. Im going to tell you guys what happened to me this past July. I had a house fire & I "had" three bunnies. Two of my bunnies - Kiwi & Papaya were not in the direct line of smoke. They still ingested a ton of smoke, but not as much as my dear little Cookie. Cookie was in a different pen then Kiwi & Papaya because she was just coming 6 months of age, & I was waiting until she was spayed to try & bond the three of them together, or get her a friend if that wasent possible.

The amount of smoke Cookie inhaled was atrocious. When I pulled up her blankets, the carpet was white underneath, & brown where the smoke had traveled. All three got out of the house. I ended up taking them to my vets house- who is also my good friend, & bunny vet. She let me stay there with the bunnies.

I set them all up as normally as I could. I tried to keep their routine the same, playing with them, letting them out to run, feeding, cleaning etc. Kiwi & Papaya settled in quite nicely & quickly. I think because they had each other to snuggle up too, helped a lot. Cookie only had me, & I did spend as much time with her as I possibly could. Plus, my vet friend, would spend time with her too when I couldnt.

Anyways, Cookie never really settled in. I do believe she was tramatized or had PTSS, if thats even possible in bunnies. She was happy to see me & my friend, but was never quite the same bunny she was before. About a week after the fire, I always got up for 9am to feed, clean etc. She ate normally, played, & had pooped normally overnight. No reason for concern I thought. So I showered etc, left the house around 11, & got back around 3pm. She had not moved from where i left her. She had peed herself & was soaked from sitting in it, didnt eat any hay, & there was no poo. I picked her up, she peed on me - which she had NEVER done before. Immediately, I took her upstairs with all my meds on hand (simethicone, cisapride, metacam). My vet & medicated her. I offered critical care (which she loved), no change within the hour, & her breathing was getting very fast, so we rushed her to the clinic (it was a sunday). Took xrays, didnt see anything, so we were going to put her on IV fluids, & take her back home & monitor her for the night to see if that would help. We though she was in stasis. As we were trying to put the IV in, Cookie was literally dying in my arms, gasping for air, & trying to jump from my arms.

We opted to euthanize her on the spot because she was in EXTREME pain. My vet asked me if she could do an autopsy on her to see if she could see what the cause of her death was. I said yes, but didnt stay to watch. It turns out, Cookie had a complete torsion of her stomach. It was completly flipped upside down, & even if we had taken her to the clinic at 3pm when I got home, changes are, she would not have survived the surgery, or if she did, would have died shortly there afterwards. GI surgery on bunnies is very risky, as is any bunny under anesthetic.

My vet said this was probably due to the stress of the fire, smoke she enhaled, & being moved to a new environment.

In any case, im sure the smoke your bunny is inhaling isnt near as much as my little Cookie did, however, my point is that, I do not think any type of smoke for bunnies is good at all.

Sorry for the novel, but just thought I should share my story, on smoke & bunnies.

I’m so sorry what a sad story x

A lot of people are talking about their animals eating marijuana or marijuana being used therapeutically in animals - this is different to smoking. Aside from the effects of the drug itself (which it is difficult to calculate how much dosage the rabbit would actually be getting through inhaling your smoke) it is the smoke itself that is the real issue. Your rabbit may well be fine eating the leaves (I have no idea) but the smoke can cause real respiratory issues for your rabbit, if not in the short term then definitely in the long term.
Would you smoke with a toddler in the room? Or a baby? If the answer is no, then don’t do it with your pet in the room.

Hello guys!
Before you go on a rant about how marijuana is bad for you, I'm going say this nicely, please, I am not asking about wether or not t is good or not for me, what ever you say, will not change my mind, an wether you think it's bad for me or not will not stop me from smoking. This is purely for my bunny, and wether or not this is good for her.

I also smoke. But i wouldnt recommend it for your bun. Rabbits tend to have very very sensitive respiratory systems. And the smoke can potentially be very harmful to their lungs. I used to try it with mine because they seemed to love it as well, but when i looked up whether or not it was good for them, there wasnt really any evidence, nobody has really done studies on it surprisingly, i believe they just enjoy the smell. But just going off of what i do know about rabbits, the smoke probably isnt good for them, i mean, saw dust from wood chips can give them infections in their lungs and thats supposed to be made for them, i dont imagine the smoke would be much different.
So personally, i dont smoke with my rabbits like i do my cats and dogs. But it all boils down to what you think is best and your personal preference, there just isnt much research done about it.
But if you DO decide to smoke with your bun please make sure it is out of a pipe or bong, because the papers and blunt wraps are bad enough on our human lungs, so i know they wouldnt be good for the rabbits.
i hope this helped.

I have to agree with those concerned about respiratory issues in rabbits, they are so prone that smoke alone could be considered a 'health threat'. Your question intrigued me, so I did a little research - although most sites dealt with ingestion of weed one site did say this: the psychotropic effects of weed can be very disorienting and fear inducing because it is outside of the 'normal' experience. While humans recognize this state as temporary, animals do not and the experience can be truly terrifying for them.

Hello guys!

Marijuana is showing some promise in treating animals with seizures (and children as well) and its been a great alternative to opioids for pain control.....maybe more health benefits are on the horizon, which I think is wonderful. That being said, smoke is toxic to the lungs, I don't care what kind of smoke it is and for that reason alone, I say allowing your rabbit to inhale it is not a good thing to do. I used some of the edibles when I was recovering from hip replacement surgery because I didn't want to take the heavy duty pain pills my doctor prescribed and they were amazed how quickly I recovered. I also have the cream and CBD oil, though I rarely use them, for when my fibromyalgia or arthritis really gets bad. But I would not smoke the stuff because I won't muck up my lungs with it. You can get lung cancer from inhaling ANY form of smoke, even 2nd hand smoke......in fact doctors say 2nd hand smoke is even worse for you.....so would I subject my pets to it? No way. They, like children, don't necessarily know whats good for them and as adults we need to take responsibility. If a toddler wanted to drink a glass of alcohol, would we allow it? Of course your bunny was more mellow after inhaling the smoke......she was stoned!

The medical implications are beyond the point.

Humans evolved with smoke, we can tolerate toxic smoke substances up to 1000 times better than other animals (what was effective when we died at 40 avarage anyway, now the implications are somewhat different).
Anyway, natural life span of rabbits are 2-3 years, in human captivity it can be way beyond 10 years. So, , who I am to judge. I raise rabbits for meat, it's part of how I live. If someones rabbit dies zof weed because it's his way to live, can't blame him. But it's not that difficult to protect a rabbit from smoke if someone cares about that, its not that it's going to cripple that bunny instantly. Like many dogs they might go on for a long time, maybe die somewhat prematurely, but so what.

Hello guys!

Latest posts

Back