Questions about Incisor Removal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh....I love the name Molly too but it means "bitter".... She'll probably have that as her middle name....

I'm so excited! I can hardly wait to hold and cuddle on her and let her know she's going to be loved and that she's precious!

Peg

This is the conversation I just had with my fiance:

Me: "Hey sweety, I just found a new home for Molly!"
Him: "Which one is that? The one with the black hair or the brown hair?"
Me: "Brown hair."
Him: "Oh. Sweet. Do we still have to get her spayed?"
Me: "Of course. We'll do that next Friday. I'm so glad someone wants her!"
Him: "Wait. They want her even though her teeth are FUBAR?"
Me: "Oh you!" *throws pillow*

:p

I had a bun that i clipped his teeth for 10 years, I got him when he was 2 yrs old. when he was younger I did not know a vet who would remove his teeth, I was advised in how to clip them by several people and continued with that. A few years ago I met a vet who does rabbit teeth removal, but by then he was too old to put through the surgery and he was already so well behaved or his teeth clipping.

I do however know that she does a very good job at tooth removal, and it is quite different that other teeth as they curve as they go up into the gum line, and if not removed carefully they will break inside and can grow back. she provides pain meds for buns for many days after surgery, and often a mush diet and baby food is perfered untill the mouth heals. None seemed to have any problem with eating hay, and pellets, and any veggies have been chopped into very small peices which they have devoured happily.

It is her common pratice to remove really bad teeth instead of clipping. she tends to only clip teeth that have a slight problem and can go awhile with out trimming.

I know you are placing this bun and no longer need to know for her, but for future reference if that helps.

First of all Gabby, thanks for that information. Most of our buns that need their teeth clipped are so used to it by now that they just lay in our arms and we're done in about 2 minutes (if that long). It would be nice to be able to afford to get them pulled - but that is SO MUCH money - so if we can clip them successfully we'll do that. But it is great to know for future reference.

For those who are wondering about Art's reaction to another rabbit...he just sort of laughed about it and said, "You are bringing a SPAYED rabbit from Houston that has bad teeth? I thought we were into 'healthy' rabbits that you could breed and improve the breed with.?" However, he was laughing as he said it and said, "As long as you have cage space and time to love on her ... fine with me!"

No wonder I love this guy so much......especially after 26 years of living with me!

But he still won't let me get a pet skunk like I had as a teenager! :(

Ellie Mae (uh...I mean Peg)

First I have to say thank you both for saving this little girl! Tiny; you are the best and I will always be interested in your posts. This one is especially nice and I'm happy that you decided to post here vs in private. It was good for everyone to see this! Good luck to both of you! True bunny lovers you both are! Tatum

Tatum wrote:
First I have to say thank you both for saving this little girl! Tiny; you are the best and I will always be interested in your posts. This one is especially nice and I'm happy that you decided to post here vs in private. It was good for everyone to see this! Good luck to both of you! True bunny lovers you both are! Tatum
Thanks Tatum.

When Art & I decided to start breeding - we decided that if we had a rabbit with problems - unless it was in pain and wouldn't make it - we would not put it down. It is just our own personal beliefs....not that we expect others to abide by them. (We actually did recently consider it over teeth issues but decided that we couldn't live with ourselves).

So to hear of this girl and know that I had a way of getting her - I knew I just HAD to do it. I've got to admit - I'm so excited about getting her. Who cares if she's spayed and I can't breed her (I wouldn't anyway with her teeth)? I just think she's going to need the loving and she'll probably just bloom here.

Peg

I'mseeing this thread for the first time, and can I just say, Peg rocks! :bunnydance:

Will be watching for updates...:popcorn2

Drache, I think you are really wonderful for helping thatgorgeous bun find a loving home.

TinysMom, you are officially my bunny-mum role model, that was such a kind thing to do.That is one very lucky bunny! :kiss:

Eve wrote:
Drache, I think you are really wonderful for helping thatgorgeous bun find a loving home.
:nod

Eve wrote:
Yes- I'm so glad you were willing to come on here and ask questions. A lot of folks might've just said, "Let's just put the rabbit down because of its teeth....".

I'm so excited about Molly coming here.....only three weeks if I'm counting right. I'm already looking at my cages and thinking of the cages I'm ordering too and picking out one for her and who might like her, etc.

As a breeder, I really feel responsible not only for my rabbits - but for helping out if I can with a rescue like this. So I'm psyched!

Drache - thanks again so much - and don't be afraid to post about other rescues in our rescue area.....

Peg

Latest posts

Back