Questions about giving electrolytes (e.g., Pedialyte)...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My one bun (a 3.5-lb. Mini Rex) has been on sub-Q's for a while; she's been dealing with a tough stasis issue.

The vet has had me keep her on sub-Q's; now she's showing signs of a possible electrolyte imbalance--specifically licking the walls and chewing on baseboards.

I want to give her electrolytes but am uncertain how much to give her and for how long. Also how do you know when you've given them long enough? (Should the wall-licking behavior stop, for example?)

I'm going out today to try to find sugar-free/non-flavored Pedialyte (or some such brand). (To date, the best I could find is non-flavored Pedialyte with dextrose.)

Thank you,

Jenk

The SQ fluids your bunny is getting is most likely LRS which is an electrolyte solution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactated_Ringer's_solution

If shes only getting Normal Saline NaCl 0.9% (which would be odd) ask the vet if you can switch to LRS

Watermelons wrote:
The SQ fluids your bunny is getting is most likely LRS which is an electrolyte solution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactated_Ringer's_solution

If shes only getting Normal Saline NaCl 0.9% (which would be odd) ask the vet if you can switch to LRS.
She has been receiving LRS since at least 4/12. (Within this time period, she received sub-Qs at one clinic during a two-day hospitalization; I'm unsure if she was given LRS or the saline (NaCl) version. But she's received LRS the majority the rest of the time.

Still, she's begun licking the walls somewhat obsessively when let out of her pen. She's also biting/ingesting pieces of our baseboards. Both behaviors are not at all her norm. When I told the vet this news, he said it's possible that she's experiencing an electrolyte imbalance, which could be prompting her to seek mineral supplementation. (Apparently, she thinks she might get it from the walls and baseboards.)

I did purchase non-flavored Pedialyte just to have on hand; I was unable to find a sugar-free version.

Latest posts

Back