Questions about checkups?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBuns

Reaction score
I’m curious what everyone else’s vet does when you take you rabbit for a checkup.
What exactly do they do in the check up for your bun?
Does it include blood work?
Do they check the buns poop and urine?
Just curious to see if all vets do different things.

My vets only feel, look in the mouth, ears, weight and the eyes. That’s what they look at, so they do it every time my bunnies get their shots. It’s expensive just that cost around 100$ per bunny that’s cost without the shots 😅

I have a vet health plan thing: Medivet Rabbit Health Plan | Medivet UK

They call it a ‘nose to tail’ check. They check his eyes, ears, teeth, gut movements, his ‘male’ area, check his weight, nails and hocks (per my request). I think it’s quite good! It costs £12 a month. Every three months.

I wish that existed in sweden.

It cost for me +200$ with shots and healthy check up and the vet was nice to let me not pay the full price. otherwise it would cost me + 300$ and I pay an insurance for my bunnies. It’s expensive going to the vet and making sure they get everything they need 😱

No wonder I never have any money over and if I put anything away they go to the bunnies later on.

My vets only feel, look in the mouth, ears, weight and the eyes. That’s what they look at, so they do it every time my bunnies get their shots. It’s expensive just that cost around 100$ per bunny that’s cost without the shots 😅
Oh wow! Really that much 100 bucks? My vet does around the same thing I wish they take their time I feel likes it’s rushed. My vet charges 45.

I have a vet health plan thing: Medivet Rabbit Health Plan | Medivet UK

They call it a ‘nose to tail’ check. They check his eyes, ears, teeth, gut movements, his ‘male’ area, check his weight, nails and hocks (per my request). I think it’s quite good! It costs £12 a month. Every three months.
That a good price! For a checkup, man I wish I had that vet around! Mine checks weight, teeth, gut, eyes, ears, and nose.

We're in the same boat, just different parts of the world! Every time I've brought in my rabbit, it's around $100. Last time I took her in, they needed the fecal sample and that alone was $80. It's the VCA hospital and the specific doctor that I go to was highly recommended by House Rabbit Society HQ.

It cost for me +200$ with shots and healthy check up and the vet was nice to let me not pay the full price. otherwise it would cost me + 300$ and I pay an insurance for my bunnies. It’s expensive going to the vet and making sure they get everything they need 😱

No wonder I never have any money over and if I put anything away they go to the bunnies later on.
That’s a lot of money. You have to get your buns shots?

That’s a lot of money. You have to get your buns shots?

I need to vaccinate for both myxomatosis and RHD 1 & 2. So my bunnies get two different vaccines. I live in an area with both wild bunnies (generation of once tame bunnies that had been released into the wild and mated) and I also have hares in my area. So my bunnies are in a risk area.

We're in the same boat, just different parts of the world! Every time I've brought in my rabbit, it's around $100. Last time I took her in, they needed the fecal sample and that alone was $80. It's the VCA hospital and the specific doctor that I go to was highly recommended by House Rabbit Society HQ.

We just need to fork the money for our fur babies and keep them happy and healthy. They often pay it back with a little cuddle or show it in another way 🤣

I need to vaccinate for both myxomatosis and RHD 1 & 2. So my bunnies get two different vaccines. I live in an area with both wild bunnies (generation of once tame bunnies that had been released into the wild and mated) and I also have hares in my area. So my bunnies are in a risk area.
I see makes sense.Good thing you get their shots!

😂ah mine too what ever I save goes to my bun not just vet bills, but toys and food etc. Anything for them.

That a good price! For a checkup, man I wish I had that vet around! Mine checks weight, teeth, gut, eyes, ears, and nose.
I’m glad we (by we, I mean my mum) found it. When we took him in for his conjunctivitis, with no idea how to use our other insurance, it cost £80. The consultation is £40, the medicine was £20 and then we got Advantage which was £20. If our vet costed £200, I definitely wouldn’t be able to keep rabbits!

I also have to get three vaccinations a year but it’s also covered in the vet plan!😅😁

I’m glad we (by we, I mean my mum) found it. When we took him in for his conjunctivitis, with no idea how to use our other insurance, it cost £80. The consultation is £40, the medicine was £20 and then we got Advantage which was £20. If our vet costed £200, I definitely wouldn’t be able to keep rabbits!

I also have to get three vaccinations a year but it’s also covered in the vet plan!😅😁
😀Lucky you! Some parents don’t even care to take rabbits to the vet. Glad your mom does!

Another question would a vet charge for both bunnies if you take them on the same day? Never had two bunnies go at the same time.

Another question would a vet charge for both bunnies if you take them on the same day? Never had two bunnies go at the same time.

If you have a pair of bonded rabbits and only one is in need of vet care, it is important to bring both rabbits together. Otherwise, the one rabbit will return home smelling like a stranger. This can break their bond. So always travel with them together. (If you bring both but only one is seen by the vet, in that case, they should only charge for the one being seen.)

Latest posts

Back