Questions about checkups?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I don't take my rabbits for regular check-ups. They only go if something is wrong and that has only been a handful of times in 30 years.

Since vaccines aren't needed here in the US, there is no compelling reason, imo, to go.

For awhile, I would take the rabbits to the rescue for nail clips. The rescue would do a physical lookover - ears, scent glands, body condition, etc. They didn't charge for the clipping/exam (though I would buy something from their shop to support them). Another rescue would charge a few dollars for the clipping.

If you have a pair of bonded rabbits and only one is in need of vet care, it is important to bring both rabbits together. Otherwise, the one rabbit will return home smelling like a stranger. This can break their bond. So always travel with them together. (If you bring both but only one is seen by the vet, in that case, they should only charge for the one being seen.)
They aren’t bonded yet though what if one was sick and it could spread to the other bun. Separate them or keep them together?

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I don't take my rabbits for regular check-ups. They only go if something is wrong and that has only been a handful of times in 30 years.

Since vaccines aren't needed here in the US, there is no compelling reason, imo, to go.

For awhile, I would take the rabbits to the rescue for nail clips. The rescue would do a physical lookover - ears, scent glands, body condition, etc. They didn't charge for the clipping/exam (though I would buy something from their shop to support them). Another rescue would charge a few dollars for the clipping.
I do check-ups myself, as everyone describes here, I check them nose-to-tale at least once a month when I clip their nails, but in fact more often because I handle them regularly and it takes seconds to check their front teeth and massage their face to feel if there anything around their teeth and glands, stomach, eyes, ears and private areas, it's like a little play I also brush them a little bit, including hind feet, not all need to be brushed but all enjoy it so why not. I would go to vets if I'd need to check back teeth or do blood test or something I can't do myself, or for prescribed medicine I can't buy otherwise.

For a couple decades of keeping rabbits I expected you are able to clip their nails yourself! :)

I also clip my buns nails I do checkups at home but if I feel like theirs something odd then I’ll take them. My new bun needs a checkup still he’s been sneezing clear discharge.

I wish that existed in sweden.

It cost for me +200$ with shots and healthy check up and the vet was nice to let me not pay the full price. otherwise it would cost me + 300$ and I pay an insurance for my bunnies. It’s expensive going to the vet and making sure they get everything they need 😱

No wonder I never have any money over and if I put anything away they go to the bunnies later on.

That is a fantastic deal! I believe we get shortchanged here in the U.S. on people's health care AND pet health care! My vet charges $45 just to walk in the door (for any animal). A fecal, flea treatment, etc cost more. Also, even though she is the only "exotic pets" vet in our town, she has to check a REFERENCE MANUAL during the checkup as she isn't very familiar with rabbits. I took him in when I was worried about a gut issue, and when I left it was with a 🤷‍♀️ "just keep watching him. He should be ok." :( When I got him neutered, I had to drive more than 90 minutes one way to a pop-up rabbit rescue clinic that comes out two days a year for rabbit spay/neuter services.

Latest posts

Back