Questions about Baytril and nebulizing for chronic URI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Tricide Neo to nebulize a chronic URI rabbit? I have a 11-12 yo chronic URI rabbit, Jinx (neutered male, lop-eared), who has been on/off antibiotics for almost a year. Baytril seems to do the best job of controlling the infection, but the infection usually returns within 2-4 weeks after stopping the meds. I saw a new vet last week who raved about Tricide Neo and how well it works in a nebulizer against tough URI. I’ve been nebulizing 2x per day for 15-20 minutes per session for about a week and so far, the results look to be promising. Just wondering if anyone else has used Tricide Neo and how well it worked. I am hoping that this may be a long term solution for Jinx.

Also, I have a question about Baytril. Jinx usually tolerates Baytril quite well, but the last bottle I got put him off of his food. I got the last bottle from a different vet who uses injectable baytril flavoured with strawberry syrup rather than baytril tablets that have been compounded into an oral suspension. I know that it is ok to administer injectable baytril orally, but I am wondering if there is anything different about the injectable baytril that may not agree with Jinx? He’s had baytril many times before without any side effects. Thoughts?

I'd search for 'nebulize' and 'nebulizer' on the forum, there's been a lot of discussion about it in the past.

Baytril injections have upset my guys' stomach, oddly enough, and I've been hearing more and more about oral suspensions doing the same, been wondering why myself.

Definitely use a pro-biotic two hours or so after the antibiotics. (My vet says three, but I'm finding its needed in two hours).

sas :clover:

Don't know much about Tricide Neo... looks like primarily a Koi medication. May be just another brand of Triz EDTA, a solution that has an excellent anti-Pseudomonas effect. It does not tend to be absorbed systemically (at least when applied topically... can't say that's true in inhaled). So if your rabbit has some bacterial infection with a bug similar to Pseudomonas, I can see how it might help. Amikacin in nebulized fluids might be just as effective.

Baytril injectable is pretty irritating stuff and has a horrible taste (I have been told, and I have observed- not tried it myself). So even 'disguised' in strawberry syrup it might be somewhat irritating to the GI tract for all I know. It does tend to be well absorbed, but if it's buggiing your rabbit, I might seek out a different formulation. Baytril made in Mexico used to be wonderful for treating exoitcs because it was so concentrated and non-irritating.. sadly taken off the market last year because of the problem with people eating treated beef cattle (main use for it) and possible exposure to Baytril (can have some deletirious effects in humans).

Hi Geoff.

<<Don't know much about Tricide Neo... looks like primarily a Koi medication. May be just another brand of Triz EDTA, a solution that has an excellent anti-Pseudomonas effect. It does not tend to be absorbed systemically (at least when applied topically... can't say that's true in inhaled).>>

I really don’t know anything about Tricide Neo, and typically, I would not administer something that I know nothing of to my rabbits. Jinx was quickly approaching the ‘eat or heaven’ phase of his illness, though, so I was willing to try it (plus this vet is very savvy). Based on what the vet has told me, I don’t think that it is absorbed systemically when inhaled. He described it as a perfect band-aid solution that can be administered for as long as necessary. Jinx is not a very hands-on rabbit, so I will be thrilled if I can find a solution that causes minimal handling/stress to him.

<<So if your rabbit has some bacterial infection with a bug similar to Pseudomonas, I can see how it might help. Amikacin in nebulized fluids might be just as effective.>>

So far, I’ve been nebulizing for about 1.5 weeks and Jinx is doing really well – his demeanor and appetite are good, probably the best they have been since his illness started last December, and I’ve not heard him sneeze at all.

<<Baytril injectable is pretty irritating stuff and has a horrible taste (I have been told, and I have observed- not tried it myself). So even 'disguised' in strawberry syrup it might be somewhat irritating to the GI tract for all I know. It does tend to be well absorbed, but if it's buggiing your rabbit, I might seek out a different formulation.>>

Good to know. If I have to put him back on oral meds, I will ask for a different formulation if baytril is prescribed (and give probiotics). The baytril tablets compounded into an oral suspension did not put him off of his food, so I suspect that there is something irritating about the injectable baytril.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Hi Geoff.

<<Don't know much about Tricide Neo... looks like primarily a Koi medication. May be just another brand of Triz EDTA, a solution that has an excellent anti-Pseudomonas effect. It does not tend to be absorbed systemically (at least when applied topically... can't say that's true in inhaled).>>

I really don’t know anything about Tricide Neo, and typically, I would not administer something that I know nothing of to my rabbits. Jinx was quickly approaching the ‘eat or heaven’ phase of his illness, though, so I was willing to try it (plus this vet is very savvy). Based on what the vet has told me, I don’t think that it is absorbed systemically when inhaled. He described it as a perfect band-aid solution that can be administered for as long as necessary. Jinx is not a very hands-on rabbit, so I will be thrilled if I can find a solution that causes minimal handling/stress to him.

<<So if your rabbit has some bacterial infection with a bug similar to Pseudomonas, I can see how it might help. Amikacin in nebulized fluids might be just as effective.>>

So far, I’ve been nebulizing for about 1.5 weeks and Jinx is doing really well – his demeanor and appetite are good, probably the best they have been since his illness started last December, and I’ve not heard him sneeze at all.

<<Baytril injectable is pretty irritating stuff and has a horrible taste (I have been told, and I have observed- not tried it myself). So even 'disguised' in strawberry syrup it might be somewhat irritating to the GI tract for all I know. It does tend to be well absorbed, but if it's buggiing your rabbit, I might seek out a different formulation.>>

Good to know. If I have to put him back on oral meds, I will ask for a different formulation if baytril is prescribed (and give probiotics). The baytril tablets compounded into an oral suspension did not put him off of his food, so I suspect that there is something irritating about the injectable baytril.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back